Can you issue a digest on command? One more thing...

Marc S. Glasser

Oh, one more question about digests:

The old Mailman system we were using prepended a header onto each digest; I was able to upload a swatch of text via the web interface to be the header, so that the monthly collation would begin with the (non-urgent) announcements. Is there any way to do this here? Searching on "digest" and "header" doesn't seem to bring up anything relevant.

The only way I can see to do it, based on what I've seen so far, would be to submit the header text as a regular post--but I'd have to do so before anyone else posted anything after the previous digest was issued, and that could mean that by the time we were ready to issue the month's digest, some of the information in the header would be outdated.

Is there another secret setting that will let me customize the digest header? Anyone?

Thanks again for all the help.

<-----2021-6-21-----MSG----->

Bruce Bowman

On Mon, Jun 21, 2021 at 06:43 PM, Marc S. Glasser wrote:
Is there another secret setting that will let me customize the digest header?
Nope.

Marc,

Is there another secret setting that will let me customize the digest header? Anyone?

Not the header, but you can add custom text to the footer. That may not serve your purpose as well as a header inclusion would have.

I wonder if a #suggestion to the beta group asking for an option to include any pinned topics at the start of each digest would make sense & be useful. Or maybe only the first digest of the day.

Or, perhaps better, any Sticky Wiki page. That way it wouldn't be in the table of contents and would be formatted like a banner (in a grey box at the top). The only downside I can think of is the 5-line limit; in an email the link at the bottom to "Read more" wouldn't be very effective for members who don't stay logged in to Groups.io (unless your group's Wiki is public, in which case - perfect!).

Help: https://groups.io/helpcenter

Marc S. Glasser

Ah, but the Wiki feature isn't available for a Basic group. I need to pay $240 a year to get that feature--a rather high price to pay for something that doesn't exactly meet our needs but can only be kludged to vaguely approximate them.

I may yet do it, if I can't find anything else that comes even this close to what we're seeking. But before committing myself to that sort of expenditure, I think I'll keep looking for a bit.

<-----2021-6-22-----MSG----->

Marc,

Ah, but the Wiki feature isn't available for a Basic group.

Oops. It depends on when the Basic group was created, but yes I forgot about that.

And of course, my idea of using a Sticky-Wiki to create a banner on digest messages isn't actually a feature of groups.io; someone would have to suggest it and Groups.io would have to implement it; the latter might be a long-shot.

So until the feature exists the question of upgrading to Premium might be moot unless there are other Premium features you want.

I need to pay $240 a year to get that feature

Or $220 if paid yearly.

But before committing myself to that sort of expenditure, I think I'll keep looking for a bit.

A feature that may help with that is the ability to have the group members sponsor the group:

Depending on the nature of the group that may work well, or may go over like a lead balloon. Use your own judgement on that.

Help: https://groups.io/helpcenter

Marc S. Glasser

I thought of one more possibility that may work. I'm going to try it out today and see:

If I "claim" all the posts as they come in but don't approve them...then when I'm ready to issue the digest, I send in my "header" post and approve it first, and then approve all the others, will the digest be issued with my header at the top?

I guess I'll find out around 6 am tomorrow.

<-----2021-6-23-----MSG----->

Duane

On Wed, Jun 23, 2021 at 10:58 AM, Marc S. Glasser wrote:
If I "claim" all the posts as they come in but don't approve them...then when I'm ready to issue the digest, I send in my "header" post and approve it first, and then approve all the others, will the digest be issued with my header at the top?
I don't think so.  I'm pretty sure they're listed in chronological order, oldest first.  However, you may still have a way to do this.  As soon as a digest goes out, send a message with some info similar to what you want and claim it.  Then you can edit it before approval the next time and have it at the top (I think ;>)

Lots of detailed information can be found in the Owners Manual and Members Manual.

Marc S. Glasser

FYI--I tried out what I proposed, and it worked the way I hoped. My "header" post, which was the last one submitted but the first one I approved, ended up as the first post on the digest. I think we're on the way to making this thing work.

Thanks again to everyone who's responded to my queries.

Andy Wedge

On Fri, Jun 25, 2021 at 07:02 AM, Marc S. Glasser wrote:
FYI--I tried out what I proposed, and it worked the way I hoped. My "header" post, which was the last one submitted but the first one I approved, ended up as the first post on the digest.
Thanks for the update and useful to know. It sounds like you can effectively control the order of all your other messages in a digest that way then.  There was a change a while back to ensure that if you approve multiple messages at the same time, they are done in the order that they were received if that helps (see the last item on Beta #26090)

Andy