#calendar #calendar

Ginger Iorizzo

I noticed something for the first time this past week. The reminder e-mail for a calendar event now says “Happening Now” in the Subject line. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that before?
Is this something new? Or have I just not been paying attention? LOL!
Thanks!
Ginger

Ginger,

I noticed something for the first time this past week. The reminder
e-mail for a calendar event now says “Happening Now” in the Subject
line.
That's actually for the #cal-notice that goes out at the scheduled time of the event. This is sent if you checked the "Send Notice To Group When Event Happens (tagged with #cal-notice)" box in the event.

That's as opposed to a #cal-reminder that goes out in advance of the scheduled time, if you added any reminders.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen that before? Is this something new?
It is new, added sometime within the last couple weeks.

It might relate to this:
"INTERNAL: Cleaned up some technical debt around #cal-reminder and
#cal-notice message generation. As a side effect, #cal-reminder
messages now include ICS attachments, like #cal-invite notices."
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/29558

Help: https://groups.io/helpcenter

How can I get rid of the "happening now" in the subject line?  It takes up the whole subject line now and you can't see what the event actually is.
Thanks in advance!

Duane

On Mon, Jun 7, 2021 at 10:57 PM, Aliza Burton wrote:
How can I get rid of the "happening now" in the subject line?
You can't.  It's hard coded.  The only way to avoid it is to NOT send a notice when an event occurs.

Lots of detailed information can be found in the Owners Manual and Members Manual.

Andy Wedge

On Tue, Jun 8, 2021 at 04:57 AM, Aliza Burton wrote:
How can I get rid of the "happening now" in the subject line?  It takes up the whole subject line now and you can't see what the event actually is.
As has been said, it's a new feature (I don't know the reasoning behind it) so you cannot stop it being generated. What you can do though is moderate the #cal-notice hashtag and edit it out before releasing it to your group.  We have had similar situation in 2019 (with #cal-reminder messages being prefixed with 'Upcoming event') and following comments on Beta this was removed altogether.  A suggestion at the time was to use a prefix of just 'Now' for #cal-notice messages so I think the current situation is worth another message on Beta with a reference back to this.

Regards
Andy

Bruce Bowman

On Mon, Jun 7, 2021 at 11:57 PM, Aliza Burton wrote:
How can I get rid of the "happening now" in the subject line?
Aliza -- Instead of using #cal-notice, consider setting up a #cal-reminder 1 minute before the event. See screencap appended below.

On Tue, Jun 8, 2021 at 08:02 AM, Andy Wedge wrote:
What you can do though is moderate the #cal-notice hashtag and edit it out before releasing it to your group.
If you aren't around to moderate it, the notification will not coincide with the start of the event, but will instead be sent when you get around to it.

Depending on your needs this may not be desirable.

Chuck Palmer

I don't know if this is coincident with the recent #cal-notice functionality but on Tuesday, June 1st, we had what I thought was just a hiccup for our weekly Tuesday meeting announcement.  I have calendar events set up for our every-Tuesday meetings and they all have a Reminder setup to go out as special notices 1 day prior to the meeting then another that goes out 1 hour before the event, again as a special notice.

Prior to 6/1 everything worked fine for over a year now, but on that Tuesday only the first announcement went out - not the one scheduled for 1 hour prior to the event.  I thought it might have been just an email glitch but yesterday, June 8th, the same thing happened.

Coincidence or might it be possibly related???

Kind regards,
-chuck

Bruce Bowman

On Wed, Jun 9, 2021 at 08:27 PM, Chuck Palmer wrote:
I have calendar events set up for our every-Tuesday meetings and they all have a Reminder setup to go out as special notices 1 day prior to the meeting then another that goes out 1 hour before the event, again as a special notice.

Prior to 6/1 everything worked fine for over a year now, but on that Tuesday only the first announcement went out - not the one scheduled for 1 hour prior to the event.  I thought it might have been just an email glitch but yesterday, June 8th, the same thing happened.
Chuck -- You asked a very similar question last September (https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/topic/76869999). It's not clear if there was any resolution, but if so you might want to retry whatever you did back then.

Chuck Palmer

Thanks for the reminder, Bruce.  I must have mistakenly set those June events as recurring ones and forgotten that reminders don't work properly on those types of events.  As I recall, I ended up removing the recurring part and setting up each one separately.  No heavy lifting involved.

As a child of the 60's and 70's, memory is not one of my strong points any more!

-chuck