Groups.IO wiki and vision accessibility

Chris Gual <cgual206@...>

Hi,

I was wondering if other Groups.IO managers might have some insight into customizing the wiki to support people with vision disabilities.  I've searched in the message archive but couldn't find anything that addressed these concerns.

I am looking to solve two issues that some people who have low vision or use a screen reader have given me about the wiki:

1) Is there a way to get wiki pages to use the browsers default font size?

It seems that even if I make a very simple wiki page using the paragraph and header formatting, the resulting text will not resize when the default font size for the browser is changed.

2) Is there a way to display or get a link to the wiki without the left hand Groups.IO sidebar? or force focus to the first link in the wiki page?

When using a screen reader with the wiki the left-hand Groups.IO sidebar is displayed at the top of the page, so the user must tab through about 25 links before they come to the content of the wiki.

Any assistance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Chris

Hi,

Regarding the second question, it can be mitigated somewhat by putting elements such as headings and landmarks. Not only it helps separate the wiki content from other elements, screen reader users can use web element navigation methods to go directly to a section they want to read.

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

BMaverick

Chris,

A1.  Most all browsers have the ZOOM ability to take a web page and increase/decrease the size via  CTRL+ or the CTRL- key combination.  I do it frequently.

A2.  Start EACH Wiki link on the link page like this ...

00 -  Topic title goes here

11 -  Topic title goes here

22 -  Topic title goes here

When the user clicks on the left column Wiki Link, a browser CTRL-F  (the find on page option), they can type in a NUMBER to reach the Wiki topic link of Choice rather than run down the long list of links.  Of course a cheat sheet is needed ahead of time.

From the looks of things, GroupsIO is not using the CSS Grid Layout format.  Instead, it's using the Box Model format for the webpages.  There are tricks a person can do when viewing a CSS Grid Layout webpage to mask out the left column briefly and then bring it back.  The function is wide and narrow grid viewing of a web page.  With the Box Model format, I'm clueless.

BMaverick

Erik Burggraaf

Or to put it more simply, style a heading level one at the top of your content with the title of the content when you compose.  Then the screen reader user will press h once and immediately jump to the start of each article.

Best,

Erik

[ad and excess quote removed by moderator]