An area for documents without comments?

Lorraine Swerdloff

Last June I created a basic group for my condo association (under 100 members) and everyone's delighted with the ability to communicate. Thank you, groups.io !! I've been using hashtags to identify posts with recommendations, advice on appliances, events, etc.

However, there's constant confusion about our association's bylaws, policies and procedures, and state and county regulations. Is there a place on the listserv to permanently post these documents with no discussion permitted?

Thanks again for this amazing listserv platform and forum.

Lorraine Swerdloff

Frances

On Sun, Feb 14, 2021 at 05:31 PM, Lorraine Swerdloff wrote:
Last June I created a basic group for my condo association (under 100 members)
about our association's bylaws, policies and procedures, and state and county regulations. Is there a place on the listserv to permanently post these documents with no discussion permitted?--
Why not use the wiki function? Since you started your group in June 2020, you should have that feature.
You can create a table of contents, etc.
See GMF's wiki for an idea.
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki

Be sure to go to your Admin, Settings, to make sure that your wiki is private, just for members. And also, you can make pages uneditable by the general membership. It is on a page by page basis.

Of course, you can also create a Guidelines page that is sent out regularly. Or use the Files section of your group - this is most useful, I think, for just a few documents.
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/files

Frances

Help available from Groups.io help and GMF wiki.

Duane

On Sun, Feb 14, 2021 at 04:31 PM, Lorraine Swerdloff wrote:
However, there's constant confusion about our association's bylaws, policies and procedures, and state and county regulations. Is there a place on the listserv to permanently post these documents with no discussion permitted?
On a group that I have as secretary/treasurer for a club, I use the files section.  I have folders for Meetings, Members (dues, rosters, bylaws, etc.), Newsletters (pdf files), Secretary, and Treasurer.  Since only the person that uploaded them (me) can delete or change them, they provide almost everything we need.  I have a locked sticky post with links to the folders.

The Groups.io Help Center includes the Owners Manual and Members Manual.
They can be browsed online or downloaded as PDF files.  They're updated as needed.

Files. That will do it.
Or, so I’ve been told, wiki’s. But you’ve got to have some computer savvy to do them.

On Feb 14, 2021, at 14:01, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

On Sun, Feb 14, 2021 at 04:31 PM, Lorraine Swerdloff wrote:
However, there's constant confusion about our association's bylaws, policies and procedures, and state and county regulations. Is there a place on the listserv to permanently post these documents with no discussion permitted?
On a group that I have as secretary/treasurer for a club, I use the files section.  I have folders for Meetings, Members (dues, rosters, bylaws, etc.), Newsletters (pdf files), Secretary, and Treasurer.  Since only the person that uploaded them (me) can delete or change them, they provide almost everything we need.  I have a locked sticky post with links to the folders.

The Groups.io Help Center includes the Owners Manual and Members Manual.
They can be browsed online or downloaded as PDF files.  They're updated as needed.

Dan,

Or, so I’ve been told, wiki’s. But you’ve got to have some computer
savvy to do them.
Groups.io's Wiki page editor is pretty simple. Using the default HTML mode, it almost exactly the same as the message editor - a simple WYSIWYG editor with buttons for common text formatting options.

There are a couple of extra features in the wiki editor, including the ability to break your page into sections and the ability to include a table of contents for those sections. Another is a second Insert Link function that allows you to select wiki pages by name rather than needing to work with URLs to cite them.

The level of savvy needed is not much above that needed to post a message using the groups.io site (New Topic).

Help: https://groups.io/helpcenter

KWKloeber

>>> wiki’s. But you’ve got to have some computer savvy to do them<<<

Really, not.
If you can copy/paste you can make a wiki page. It’s really simple (if anything having to do with comphusers is *simple*.)
If you can create a Word document you can create a wiki page.  And using the advanced feature of table of contents seems more daunting than it really is.

Ken K

Chris Jones

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 11:30 AM, KWKloeber wrote:
If you can copy/paste you can make a wiki page.

Not always a good idea; Word formatting and Groups.io wiki formatting don't always play nicely together.

It does not require "advanced computer knowledge" to do successfully. Try it; it's not going to do any harm and you will finish up knowing more about "how to do it" than when you started, and that is always a good thing. If it goes wrong, either retrace your steps or start again. Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained!

Despite Ken's assurance about Table of Contents when I tried that (quite some time ago) it nearly drove me insane. (Some might say it succeeded!) Don't try an "advanced wiki page" until you have got the basics right.; get "Issue 1" sorted and revisit it later to produce an "Issue 2".

Chris.

KWKloeber

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 10:07 AM, Chris Jones wrote:
Not always a good idea; Word formatting and Groups.io wiki formatting don't always play nicely together.

Chris
Is there somewhere I said to use Word formatting?
The point is, if one is “savvy enough” to create a word document (that ends up as intended) then you can make a wiki page. Especially if one can do it using newer Word ribbon versions versus using older versions (as I refuse to give up!!)

What issue did you have with creating a ToC?
It’s very straightforward.  At least as my brain sees things, which may not be the norm.

Chris Jones

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 07:23 PM, KWKloeber wrote:

Is there somewhere I said to use Word formatting?

Not specifically, but you hinted at it with your mention of copy and paste, i.e. compose in Word and copy to the wiki page.

What issue did you have with creating a ToC?

For whatever reason it simply wouldn't work for me, and (IIRC) others had also found it tricky; in the end I decided that function was more important than form so I managed without a ToC.

Chris

Lorraine Swerdloff

Everyone, I greatly appreciate your comments. I'm a little slow getting into wiki or Files due to fatigue from covid vaccination. I did find Wiki and made it so only moderator can edit. I haven't found Files yet but have not gone to the wiki for help.

I'll report back in a day or two,
Lorraine

KWKloeber

Chris

Y'know what "they" say about ass/u/me, right?  I could never tie down who the universal "they" are who are always cited.

Actually, the original msg referenced "association's bylaws, policies and procedures, and state and county regulations."
These could be in plain text (e.g., Notepad,) in a PDF, on a website, or an image, or.... (did I run out of possibilities?).   Oh yes, they could also be in Word.  All I said was that one can copy/paste...(i.e., not compose from scratch.)    The copying could be from any of many sources w/o formatting (e.g., copy/paste-as-plain-text, or copy/paste and use the Clear Formatting function on the hamburger menu.)  Or rather than pasting the content (e.g., text/images) on a webpage (e.g., say, county regulations,) paste a link (i.e., the URL to the regulations.)
Many, many, paste possibilities -- none necessarily created by pasting a Word doc.

As I said, "Word" relates to ability (i.e. if one has the savviness to type out and format a Word document then one has the savviness to type out and format a Wiki page.)

-ken

KWKloeber

Lorraine:

On the left-hand sidebar menu when in "Message" there is a selection for "Files" (should be third from the bottom.)
That's on a PC/laptop.
It's a little different if you're on a pad -- then you need to tap the right-hand icon (called hamburger, ie, 3 horizontal bars.)  That brings up the sidebar menu (containing "Files.")

In Files you can
Create a structure (create a folder and name it (and also subfolders.))
Upload files (e.g., the documents you mentioned.)
Create a link (say to a County website with regulations.)

If you need help doing any of that just hollar!

Glad to hear you had your vaccination.  I'm up for #2 this Friday.

-Ken K

Chris,

Despite Ken's assurance about Table of Contents when I tried that (quite some time ago) it nearly drove me insane.

One difficulty with the TOC generator is that it is not WYSIWYG. You can't see the TOC while editing, instead you see the marker that controls the TOC depth.

Beyond that I find that the key difficulty with the TOC generator is that it is deceptively dumb. Meaning that it gives you no flexibility in in usage or formatting beyond choosing how many levels to display in the TOC.

Two simple rules:

1)  Section headers must be given a Header format. Nothing else may be given a Header format (all else must be Paragraph):

Note the black bar to the left of "Paragraph" in the screen shot. That bar moves to show the Format of the current text (where the cursor is). The only distinction between a paragraph used as a section header, and one used for body text, is the Formats selection.

2) No skipping levels. The first section header on the page must be a Header 1. The next may be a Header 1 or a Header 2, but must not be Header 3 or higher. Likewise as you go to deeper levels. You can skip on the way back up (a Header 1 may follow a Header 3 or deeper).

I'm not sure, but maybe there's a third rule that the TOC marker must be above the first Header 1 on the page.

Help: https://groups.io/helpcenter

KWKloeber

Shal, FYI re: the ToC (maybe Francis could add to wiki help)

[TOC:Contents:3]

The displayed ToC can be minimally formatted:

  • Applying Bold and/or Italic to the marker will follow thru to the ToC display.
  • Advanced hamburger-level formatting (font family-size-color-etc.) does not follow thru to the ToC display.  Nor does bulleting.
  • The ToC marker doesn't need to be in any particular location -  it can be (although dumb) the last line of the page.
  • One and done -- duplicated ToC markers are treated as just another line of text.
  • Formatting a link as a header will display in the ToC,  Clicking that ToC line, jumps to that location on the wiki page (doesn't open the link itself.)  HOWEVER for that to work, the line (Text to display in the link) cannot be written as a link.  ie, a "GOOGLE LINK" header behaves as I describe, but a "GOOGLE.COM" header will not work.  The header GOOGLE.COM will display in the ToC but the line will be dead (not jump to location #GOOGLE.COM on the wiki page.)

I don't prefer the formatting applied by the Formats pull-down (although it's easy enough to mod it.)  A marker in the edit display like h1:  h2: or something visible would be more useful.  Sometimes unintended lines become headings (eg., deleting a Heading line and its format being applied to the line before it.)   Although a simple fix, one doesn't know it happens until the text line shows up as an unintended line in the ToC display.  I find it's easiest to compose the page, THEN add the heading formats as desired to ToC them.

-ken

Lorraine Swerdloff

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions.
I have a Basic group and apparently have missed out on Files. The second choice from the bottom is Photos. I created a folder in Photos that I called Policies & Procedures. But when I tried to add pdfs, the system rejected them--images only!

Then I went to Upgrade in an admin page I found this description of my CURRENT plan:
Attachments: 85 MB - 8% of 1GB [View Attachments]
Photos: 0 B - 0% of 1GB
Files: 0 B - 0% of 1GB
Database Images: 0 B - 0% of 1GB
Wiki Images: 0 B - 0% of 1GB
Integrations: 0 out of 5 Integrations

  • Polls: Legacy Enabled
  • Calendar: Legacy Enabled
  • Chat: Legacy Enabled
  • Member Directory: Legacy Enabled
  • Subgroups: Not enabled
  • Integrations: Up to 5
  • Photos: Legacy Enabled
  • Files: Legacy Enabled
  • Database: Legacy Enabled
  • Wiki: Legacy Enabled
So how do I find FILES when it's not in the menu?

Lorraine

Lorraine Swerdloff

Ken, my left-side menu has disappeared. What am I doing wrong?
Lorraine

Duane

On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 01:41 PM, Lorraine Swerdloff wrote:
So how do I find FILES when it's not in the menu?
Files have to be enabled on the Settings page for the group.  You'll find it in the Features panel at the bottom.

The Groups.io Help Center includes the Owners Manual and Members Manual.
They can be browsed online or downloaded as PDF files.  They're updated as needed.

Lorraine Swerdloff

Regarding Files: I am so frustrated!
Despite plowing through every menu several times, I haven't found any entry for Files. The only place that mentions Files is asking me how I want notification of activity--email, etc.

Lorraine Swerdloff

I started the group in late June, but despite the instructions below I'm sure I don't have files.
  • Log in to Groups.io and go to the group’s website.
  • In the left navigation menu on the group’s website, click the Files entry.
    Note: If you do not see a Files entry, the Files feature is disabled for that group, members are not allowed to view files, or the group is a Basic group that was created after August 24, 2020.

Duane

You've overlooked it.  Start at https://groups.io/helpcenter/ownersmanual/1/customizing-settings-for-premium-and-enterprise-features/locating-the-feature-settings and follow the instructions carefully for Files.

The Groups.io Help Center includes the Owners Manual and Members Manual.
They can be browsed online or downloaded as PDF files.  They're updated as needed.

KWKloeber

Lorraine

If you don’t see “Files” as an choice in the sidebar menu, then “Files“ storage isn’t enabled.

In very simple terms just follow this path:
Sidebar menu > choose “Admin” > choose the “Settings” submenu > page down past “General” and choose  “Features” > page down to “Files” (between “Database” and “Photos.”  Choose the settings you want for your  Permissions and Photo sizing
Save your settings and you *should* be home free!

If you have issues setting it up, feel free to take it off list and PM me if you want to. )
 (Tutoring rates are very reasonable! LOL.

Ken K

Sent from my phone