#settings #question Is there ANY way to overcome a settings error? #question #settings

Okay, so I apparently goofed while setting up the Group. It was so easy to do, and didn't really take much effort, I overlooked a small detail - actually, I never looked at it at all.

Step 8, in Creating a Group includes:
  1. In the Visibility dropdown list, select the option you want to use for your group and its messages (see the table below). This option controls whether your group and its message archive are visible to the general public or only to group members.

! Important: When you make a message archive private, you cannot change it later to be publicly viewable. The “private messages” setting is not reversible. Therefore, at this stage, you should be certain about what visibility you want your message archive to have.

That's pretty clear - if you read it and understand the impact of this. I cannot set the Privacy Permissions now to allow the Member Profiles to be viewed. Who would have known.

How do I get around this? Is it possible to change this? Is it possible to Delete the Group (freeing the name up) and re-create the Group?

I cannot toggle "Members" in the 'Member List Visibility' pulldown.

Thanks to anyone that can help.

Duane

On Sun, Jan 17, 2021 at 09:06 PM, Dan Tucker - FireTuck wrote:
How do I get around this? Is it possible to change this?
You didn't goof, you just haven't read enough.  Check in the Owners Manual, in the section for Privacy Settings, under the Member List Visibility setting.  Notice the ! Important: statement there.  (Section 3.4.2 of the PDF version.)

Dan,

Regardless of the setting issue, answering this specifically, in general:

Is it possible to Delete the Group (freeing the name up) and re-create the Group?

Yes, you can always delete and recreate a group, but before doing so, always change the group name (address) first to something unique, like let's say Dan + 3 first digits of your SSN + a relative's name + last 4 digits of your phone, you get the idea, then delete the group; if you don't do this, the name won't be available for reuse for possibly quite some time and you'll be stuck until it becomes available.

Cheers,
Christos

Thank you for this advice.
I sincerely hope I never have to go that route.

On Jan 17, 2021, at 19:33, Christos G. Psarras <christos@...> wrote:

Dan,

Regardless of the setting issue, answering this specifically, in general:

Is it possible to Delete the Group (freeing the name up) and re-create the Group?

Yes, you can always delete and recreate a group, but before doing so, always change the group name (address) first to something unique, like let's say Dan + 3 first digits of your SSN + a relative's name + last 4 digits of your phone, you get the idea, then delete the group; if you don't do this, the name won't be available for reuse for possibly quite some time and you'll be stuck until it becomes available.

Cheers,
Christos

Bruce Bowman

On Sun, Jan 17, 2021 at 10:06 PM, Dan Tucker - FireTuck wrote:
I cannot set the Privacy Permissions now to allow the Member Profiles to be viewed. Who would have known.
Member profiles are accessed via the Directory. The Directory can be toggled on and off as needed. https://groups.io/helpcenter/ownersmanual/1/customizing-settings-for-premium-and-enterprise-features/member-directory The privacy setting for the group message archive has no bearing on this.

However, please note that each member must create a profile -- and share it -- before they will be able to see the profiles of others.

I cannot toggle "Members" in the 'Member List Visibility' pulldown.
The Member List is an index of subscriptions, not profiles.

You can make the Member List visible too, but only if your group uses the Restricted method of Spam Control. This is to keep spammers from joining your group just to harvest the email addresses that are found there.

Hope this helps,