Determining active members (and removing the inactive)


Terry Slattery
 

I'm co-manager of a group with over 1100 members. Many members (hundreds) have not specified email delivery and we suspect that many are not aware of their membership.

Is it possible to send a bulk query email to all members that have Delivery = "No Email"?

Another criteria would exclude anyone who has logged into the site recently (i.e. based on a login timestamp).

I'm aware of Bulk Remove for doing the removal - I just need a way to create the list of email addresses.

Thanks!
-Terry


James Proffer
 

On 12/17/20 5:32 PM, Terry Slattery wrote:
I'm co-manager of a group with over 1100 members. Many members (hundreds) have not specified email delivery and we suspect that many are not aware of their membership.

Is it possible to send a bulk query email to all members that have Delivery = "No Email"?

Another criteria would exclude anyone who has logged into the site recently (i.e. based on a login timestamp).

I'm aware of Bulk Remove for doing the removal - I just need a way to create the list of email addresses.

Thanks!
    -Terry


You could sort the members by delivery method and send you message to 20 members at a time.  There may be a better method that I do not know.


Duane
 

On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 07:24 PM, James Proffer wrote:
You could sort the members by delivery method and send you message to 20 members at a time.
If you opt for that method, you could also set your Items Per Page preference to 50 or 100 to minimize the work, https://groups.io/account?page=prefs

Duane
--
The official Groups.io user documentation is in the Groups.io Help Center.
GMF's Unofficial Help Wiki: https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki


Terry Slattery
 

Duane,
Do you know if the API has endpoints that could be used to automate the process? I have 630 members that need to be contacted to verify participation.

-Terry

On 12/17/20 8:38 PM, Duane wrote:
On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 07:24 PM, James Proffer wrote:
You could sort the members by delivery method and send you message to 20
members at a time.
If you opt for that method, you could also set your Items Per Page preference to 50 or 100 to minimize the work, https://groups.io/account?page=prefs <https://groups.io/account?page=prefs>
Duane
--
/The official Groups.io user documentation is in the Groups.io Help Center <https://groups.io/helpcenter>.
/GMF's Unofficial Help Wiki: https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki <https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki>/
/


Wolfram Schneider
 

You may want to disable the "No Email" option. I disabled it to make sure people get at least a summary email. That way i also will notice when somebody's email bounces.


Duane
 

On Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 04:44 PM, Wolfram Schneider wrote:
You may want to disable the "No Email" option. I disabled it to make sure people get at least a summary email.
Not necessarily.  They can choose Special Notices Only.

Duane
--
The official Groups.io user documentation is in the Groups.io Help Center.
GMF's Unofficial Help Wiki: https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki


Duane
 

On Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 10:19 AM, Terry Slattery wrote:
Do you know if the API has endpoints that could be used to automate the process?
Sorry for the delay in getting back on this.  I'm not all that familiar with the API, so don't know what all it can do, but it seems to have plenty of power.  https://groups.io/api

Duane
--
The official Groups.io user documentation is in the Groups.io Help Center.
GMF's Unofficial Help Wiki: https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki


Bryan Jones
 

Not an answer for you within the Groups.io environment, sorry:  I exported the user list, used Excel to filter to the "no email" users, copied the email addresses, and using my own email client sent a BCC email to them all, asking them to review their membership settings and desire to remain members.

Did the same to those who had "special notices only" selected.

These were both done in response to some users who claimed they didn't change their settings, but no longer were getting email after the GMAIL problems recently, and at least one member who claimed they found themselves set to "special notices only", but previously got emails, and didn't change that setting themselves.  We reviewed the activity log for the member and confirmed it didn't indicate they had changed their settings.

So this was a proactive step to try to catch anyone who, as a result of possible platform reaction to the gmail bounces, might have had their settings changed and didn't know it.


Bryan


Bryan Jones
 

Regarding disabling the "no email" option:  What would happen to existing users who are already set to "no email" if this option is then disabled?  Do they remain set at "no email", or are they changed to some other setting?  If so, what setting?  I really don't want to experiment on my 800+ members.

Bryan


Duane
 

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 04:43 PM, Bryan Jones wrote:
What would happen to existing users who are already set to "no email" if this option is then disabled?
They will all be converted to Special Notices Only.  I did that on my groups last year.  I wouldn't do it very often, but you could send a message as a Special Notice so it would go out to everyone.  That would allow you to check for bouncing.

Duane
--
The official Groups.io user documentation is in the Groups.io Help Center.
GMF's Unofficial Help Wiki: https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki


Terry Slattery
 

Bryan,
I think spreadsheet filtering and private mailer is the only viable mechanism. The GUI shows some detail about last activity, but that's a manual process that only works to handle individual members. Our group has over 600 that need checking.  The API doesn't provide the data that the GUI does about last activity.
  -Terry


Marina
 

Duane wrote:

They will all be converted to Special Notices Only.  I did that on my groups
last year.  I wouldn't do it very often, but you could send a message as a
Special Notice so it would go out to everyone. 
You mean sending a Special Notice message asking if they want to stay in the group and provide an unsubscribe link for those who don't want to stay?

That would allow you to check
for bouncing.
I'm missing something here. Can't you already check who is bouncing by looking at the bouncing members list?

Marina


Bruce Bowman
 

On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 12:19 PM, Marina wrote:
You mean sending a Special Notice message asking if they want to stay in the group and provide an unsubscribe link for those who don't want to stay?
Including an unsub link strikes me as a pretty good idea.

That would allow you to check
for bouncing.
I'm missing something here. Can't you already check who is bouncing by looking at the bouncing members list?
Bouncing doesn't help for those on No Email, because they are never sent any group messages. You have to send something manually (via the Member List) or disable No Email and send a Special Notice (per Duane's recommendation). 

Regards,
Bruce

Check out the groups.io Help Center and groups.io Owners Manual


Terry Slattery
 

I can't make sense of a few bouncing member's logs via the GUI.
The Members list shows the red B (bouncing) tag, so I click on that member. Email Delivery = Individual Messages.

Activity History shows subscribing via web on Oct 6, posting a question to the list, and finally "Email to member@ispdomain is bouncing" on Oct 17.

Email Delivery History shows Recent Bounces list from Oct 9 through Oct 17 - six entries, some of which are from spamhaus.org.
Most Recent Unsuccessful Attempt Oct 16. Ok so far, looks like a real bounce.

But then, Most Recent Successful Delivery shows a successful Bounce Probe Nov 1 - "mail accepted for delivery".

Is this member's email bouncing or not? It doesn't look like it, but the Bounce tag persists. Shouldn't the tag be cleared upon a successful delivery?


Bruce Bowman
 

On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 03:13 PM, Terry Slattery wrote:
I can't make sense of a few bouncing member's logs via the GUI.
The Members list shows the red B (bouncing) tag, so I click on that member. Email Delivery = Individual Messages.

Activity History shows subscribing via web on Oct 6, posting a question to the list, and finally "Email to member@ispdomain is bouncing" on Oct 17.

Email Delivery History shows Recent Bounces list from Oct 9 through Oct 17 - six entries, some of which are from spamhaus.org.
Spamhaus has blacklisted groups.io at least twice that I know of.

GIO aggressively reacts to the feedback loop mechanism ("removed for marking a message as spam") in hopes of avoiding such things.

Most Recent Unsuccessful Attempt Oct 16. Ok so far, looks like a real bounce.

But then, Most Recent Successful Delivery shows a successful Bounce Probe Nov 1 - "mail accepted for delivery".
That's a fairly typical outcome of a temporary blacklisting. However, that doesn't mean the recipient responded to the probe. Until they do, the bouncing status will persist.

Check your activity log for an entry along the lines of:  "Email to HisAddress@ domain.com is no longer bouncing via web"

Is this member's email bouncing or not? It doesn't look like it, but the Bounce tag persists. Shouldn't the tag be cleared upon a successful delivery?
If there's a B status badge -- either blue or red -- then they're still bouncing.

Bouncing is an account status, not a subscription status. There may have been subsequent bounces associated with attempts to deliver messages in another group. As a group Owner, you don't have the benefit of examining every bounce...if the member has any other subscriptions, your view of his bounce history will be incomplete.

The only way to get a comprehensive picture of the bounce history of an account is for the account owner himself to go to https://groups.io/account?page=bounces 

Hope this helps,
Bruce

Check out the groups.io Help Center and groups.io Owners Manual


Duane
 

On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 02:13 PM, Terry Slattery wrote:
Is this member's email bouncing or not? It doesn't look like it, but the Bounce tag persists. Shouldn't the tag be cleared upon a successful delivery?
Yes, if they're red B, they're bouncing (bounced in GIO terms.)  A bounce probe sent after that isn't successful unless they click the unbounce link (actually unbounce the Account.)

Any email provider that uses spamhaus tends to do this regularly.  The only solution is to change providers, but there are very few that don't use some outside source.

Duane
--
The official Groups.io user documentation is in the Groups.io Help Center.
GMF's Unofficial Help Wiki: https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki


Bruce Bowman
 

On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 03:13 PM, Terry Slattery wrote:
The Members list shows the red B (bouncing) tag...
To be clear, a red B means the account is Bounced. This means groups.io has given up trying to unbounce, and is no longer sending anything to that address -- even bounce probes.

You can override this and manually send a probe via a button found at the bottom of that person's membership record.

Regards,
Bruce 

Check out the groups.io Help Center and groups.io Owners Manual


Terry Slattery
 

That's much clearer. The member must reply to a bounce probe to be taken out of Bounce status.

Thanks!


Wolfram Schneider
 

Bouncing doesn't help for those on No Email, because they are never sent any group messages. You have to send something manually (via the Member List) or disable No Email and send a Special Notice (per Duane's recommendation).
I get it that people may not want to receive emails for a short time period (vacation, etc.) and set their groups to "No Email". But there is a high risk that thye may not set it back. That is why I disabled "No Email" in my groups. They still can limit email to digest or summary. But i see if they bounce.



Duane
 

On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 03:23 PM, Wolfram Schneider wrote:
That is why I disabled "No Email" in my groups. They still can limit email to digest or summary. But i see if they bounce.
Unless they change it to Special Notices Only and you don't send any.  Their email address could go bad for some reason, but you wouldn't know it.  They could also forget to change that back.

Duane
--
The official Groups.io user documentation is in the Groups.io Help Center.
GMF's Unofficial Help Wiki: https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki