Direct Add using file - how long does it take? #directadd

Jane Patterson <seejanebird@...>

I'm converting our membership to groups.io. I created a file with all of our members to use in the Direct Add process. After a couple of tries, I received the message that " that your pending additions to braudubon@groups.io have been approved and sent out."  However, I don't see the members in my members list.  If they have been approved, shouldn't I see them in my members list?  I need to send out an email with some urgency, so I'm a bit impatient and I don't see anywhere where it indicates how long it takes for the members to actually BE in the members list after they were added by Direct Add.

thanks,
Jane Patterson

Frances

On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 03:11 PM, Jane Patterson wrote:
'm converting our membership to groups.io. I created a file with all of our members to use in the Direct Add process. After a couple of tries, I received the message that " that your pending additions to braudubon@groups.io have been approved and sent out."  However, I don't see the members in my members list.  If they have been approved, shouldn't I see them in my members list?  I need to send out an email with some urgency, so I'm a bit impatient and I don't see anywhere where it indicates how long it takes for the members to actually BE in the members list after they were added by Direct Add.

I don't have a premium account so I can't test this.
I am puzzled that you can't see the members in Admin, Members.
I assume you saw these full instructions.  - https://groups.io/helpcenter/ownersmanual/1/managing-members/premium-and-enterprise-member-management-options?single=true

I assume you are seeing your Owner or Mod label in the top left corner of the group homepage. Beside Home. That would check that you are logged in with the correct email address.

Can you see anything if you go to Activity in Admin?

GMF wiki for help. Search box at the top of each page.

Check out the new groups.io Help Center  Use your browser to search or download the PDF.

Jane Patterson <seejanebird@...>

I am logged in as Owner with the correct email.
I can see other members that I added one at a time, but none added via the bulk upload via Direct Add with a text file.  I was able to add a single member with Direct Add.
Nothing relative to the bulk upload is indicated in the Activity.
In the instructions, it says "The remaining additions usually are processed within a few hours."   It has now been about 3 hours.  Am I just being impatient?
--Jane

Bruce Bowman

On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 05:59 PM, Jane Patterson wrote:
I can see other members that I added one at a time, but none added via the bulk upload via Direct Add with a text file.  I was able to add a single member with Direct Add.
Nothing relative to the bulk upload is indicated in the Activity.
The format of this file is vary particular. It must be plain text, with each entry separated by a carriage return; and must have one address per line, with no extra whitespace.

Rather than continue to struggle with this, you might have more success simply cutting the all addresses from the file in a block and pasting them into the box.

Jane Patterson <seejanebird@...>

I’m aware of the formatting rules. My upload failed the first time due to a formatting issue. I corrected it and I received the message that it was successful. But they are not in the members list.

I have about 500 members to add. So it’s not huge but I would assume I’d have to cut the group into batches?

On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 5:39 PM Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:
On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 05:59 PM, Jane Patterson wrote:
I can see other members that I added one at a time, but none added via the bulk upload via Direct Add with a text file.  I was able to add a single member with Direct Add.
Nothing relative to the bulk upload is indicated in the Activity.
The format of this file is vary particular. It must be plain text, with each entry separated by a carriage return; and must have one address per line, with no extra whitespace.

Rather than continue to struggle with this, you might have more success simply cutting the all addresses from the file in a block and pasting them into the box.

Jane Patterson <seejanebird@...>

Also, if I add them manually now and the Batch list is sitting out there in limbo somewhere waiting to be processed (???) what happens when it encounters duplicates?  I don't want to have to go delete 500 duplicates later.

On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 5:39 PM Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:
On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 05:59 PM, Jane Patterson wrote:
I can see other members that I added one at a time, but none added via the bulk upload via Direct Add with a text file.  I was able to add a single member with Direct Add.
Nothing relative to the bulk upload is indicated in the Activity.
The format of this file is vary particular. It must be plain text, with each entry separated by a carriage return; and must have one address per line, with no extra whitespace.

Rather than continue to struggle with this, you might have more success simply cutting the all addresses from the file in a block and pasting them into the box.

Jane Patterson <seejanebird@...>

all right...I gave in and copied and pasted the names into the Direct Add box and added them that way.  Duplicates were ignored.  So I'm not sure why my bulk add didn't work but at least now I'm where I need to be.