Membership questions #addmembers #question

Liz Zoob

Hello,

By searching and perusing messages here I am pretty sure the answer to my question is no, but here goes, in case I missed something. I  moderate a topical group and normally people write me asking to join, and usually they say w/o prompting why they want to. But some folks find their way to our groups.io page and request membership, and then I have no idea who they are or why they want to join. Is there a way to have groups.io automatically send them an email with a couple of questions asking about their interest, the way Facebook groups allow, or must I do this manually from my own email account?

Thanks.

Liz

Duane

On Thu, Nov 19, 2020 at 02:50 PM, Liz Zoob wrote:
Is there a way to have groups.io automatically send them an email with a couple of questions asking about their interest
If your group is Restricted (members must be approved), then yes.  Have a look at the Pending Subscription notice in the Owners Manual.  (There are also many topics about it here on GMF that you could read.)  A lot of us use that to screen prospective members.

On Thu, Nov 19, 2020 at 03:50 PM, Liz Zoob wrote:
Is there a way to have groups.io automatically send them an email with a couple of questions asking about their interest, the way Facebook groups allow, or must I do this manually from my own email account?
Set up a Member Notice of type "Pending Subscription" containing the questions and make it Active. Replies will go to the +owner address.

See https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/8155 and https://groups.io/helpcenter/faq/1/group-owner-moderator-faq/q-can-i-screen-prospective-members-who

Liz Zoob

Thanks Duane and Bruce, your responses were very helpful! I am all set!

Best,

Liz