How does a manager delete a posted message from server? (sent emails would remain sent I gather)

Daniel Kegan

How does a manager delete a posted message from server? (sent emails would remain sent I gather)

Daniel,

How does a manager delete a posted message from server?
Hmm... This appears to have escaped the Members and Owners manuals. There is the related subject of deleting whole topics:
https://groups.io/helpcenter/ownersmanual/1/managing-group-topics-and-messages/deleting-topics

For an individual message look in the More menu, in the bar under the message.

(sent emails would remain sent I gather)
Correct.

Some email systems used internally by organizations have an "unsend" capability. And Gmail's web interface has a feature to delay sending for a period of time. But generally speaking, in the world of email once the message has left the sender's email service there's nothing that can be done to "unsend" it.

One exception: if you delete a message from the group's web interface it will not be included in any Digests sent after that time. However, Digests are individually crafted for each member, so if you have a high-traffic group you can't (in general) be sure that the message didn't go out in some member's digest after it was posted but before you deleted it.

Help: https://groups.io/helpcenter

Daniel Kegan

Shal,     Friday   13 November 2020

1. Thanks. My Safari on Mac browser doesn’t seem to display those interface elements, at least not that
I can see, or hunt and find. What browser are you using? 2 Attachments.

2. I skimmed the Owner’s Manual, on Topics.
I infer Topics can be set in web-based message, and a “Topic” is defined by its # Hashtag.
If no Hashtag has been assigned by sender to the message, there is no Topic, and thus
“Deleting Topic” will do nothing, not even Delete all Messages with no Topic.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Daniel,

On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 07:27 AM, Daniel Kegan wrote:
I infer Topics can be set in web-based message, and a “Topic” is defined by its # Hashtag.
If no Hashtag has been assigned by sender to the message, there is no Topic, and thus
“Deleting Topic” will do nothing, not even Delete all Messages with no Topic.
Topics don't necessarily have hashtags, it's just a group of related messages.  If you click Delete Topic from that page, it will delete that Topic and all the messages in it.  To delete a single message, you have to open the Topic, then use the More menu under the specific message.

Daniel,

1. Thanks. My Safari on Mac browser doesn’t seem to display those interface elements, at least not that
I can see, or hunt and find. What browser are you using? 2 Attachments.

It isn't a matter of browser. It is a question of where you are looking.

In the screen shots you are looking at the list of Topics. You can't delete individual messages from there. Switch to Messages view:

Or, open a message:

I infer Topics can be set in web-based message, and a “Topic” is defined by its # Hashtag.

To paraphrase what Duane said, Hashtags apply to Topics, but a given topic may have zero, one or more hashtags in their Subject.

More importantly, many topics may have the same hashtag. That's in fact a key to the utility of hashtags, they let you mark a bunch of Topics as having something in common. The "something" that unites them is for you to decide. As a moderator, you can edit the hashtag to give it a Description that will help members understand what it is these topics have in common.

For example, the beta group has very strict hashtag usage, including #bug for topics reporting a bug or problem with Groups.io and #suggestion for topics making a suggestion to improve Groups.io.

Shal
FWIW: Firefox 82.0.3 (64-bit) on Win10 Pro version 2004.

--
Help: https://groups.io/helpcenter