Topics

Strange thing happened with a Group reply - any ideas how this could have happened? #bug

Jane Valencia

Hi, we had a strange occurrence on our list. In replying to a thread about a wedding email scam (where scammers are emailing performers to play for a fake wedding), one of our members had this experience:

"I replied to the wedding scam post by hitting "reply to group", and a strange thing happened. It sent to our list address and to the sender of the message [both addresses are quoted and correct]
BUT it never posted, and instead I got an email from someone named [name quoted] at a completely different address, saying she had received the email and does not know me."

I looked into our members, and the person's name and address are not on our list -- not even similar to anyone else's. I emailed her and she has no idea what our list is. The mystery person has an aol.com address, if that's helpful.

What could have happened? The situation makes no sense to me. Is this a bug somehow triggered by the content about the spam? On the other hand, this thread has been 'live' for a while as a topic on our list.

Thank you,
Jane Valencia
harplist Owner/Moderator

Frances

On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 10:58 AM, Jane Valencia wrote:
"I replied to the wedding scam post by hitting "reply to group", and a strange thing happened. It sent to our list address and to the sender of the message [both addresses are quoted and correct]
BUT it never posted, and instead I got an email from someone named [name quoted] at a completely different address, saying she had received the email and does not know me."
You hit "reply to group". On the group homepage, or by email?

Did you check "activity"?
https://groups.io/helpcenter/ownersmanual/1/reviewing-the-group-s-activity-log

GMF wiki for help. Search box at the top of each page.

Check out the new groups.io Help Center  Use your browser to search or download the PDF.

Stan Gorodenski

Related to this, have some in this group experienced not having received emails of a post in this group? I had emailed a question to this group but do not recall ever having received subsequent posts of that topic, and there probably were 3-5 of them. Maybe I just did not realize the messages for what they were and deleted them. That is always a possibility. Or it may be a problem with my IP. Each morning I have to check their spam folder to release messages, and in the past I have never received messages I should have or they have come through a week or two later. If no one else has experienced this then it must be my mistake or maybe a problem with my IP.
Stan

On 10/25/2020 7:56 AM, Jane Valencia wrote:
[...]

Chris Jones

On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 03:56 PM, Stan Gorodenski wrote:
Related to this, have some in this group experienced not having received emails of a post in this group?
This post of mine on beta may describe the source of the problem.

Chris

Jane,

no clue what may have happened, but just curious,

On 2020-10-25 10:56, Jane Valencia via groups.io wrote:
Hi, we had a strange occurrence on our list. In replying to a thread about a wedding email scam (where scammers are emailing performers to play for a fake wedding), one of our members had this experience:

Why are you allowing a thread like that to post to / stay in the group archives?  If you know it's spam, delete the message/thread asap so it doesn't propagate and cause potential downstream problems.

Cheers,
Christos

Chris Jones

On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 04:40 PM, Christos G. Psarras wrote:
If you know it's spam, delete the message/thread asap so it doesn't propagate and cause potential downstream problems
I think it was about spam rather than being spam itself..

Chris

Nivard Ovington

Hi Stan

Firstly, no I have not noticed the problem you describe

However, when did you post the question with three to five replies you did not receive?

Searching this groups messages I do not see a recent message from you

Nivard Ovington in Cornwall (UK)

On 25/10/2020 15:40, Stan Gorodenski wrote:
Related to this, have some in this group experienced not having received emails of a post in this group? I had emailed a question to this group but do not recall ever having received subsequent posts of that topic, and there probably were 3-5 of them. Maybe I just did not realize the messages for what they were and deleted them. That is always a possibility. Or it may be a problem with my IP. Each morning I have to check their spam folder to release messages, and in the past I have never received messages I should have or they have come through a week or two later. If no one else has experienced this then it must be my mistake or maybe a problem with my IP.
Stan

Jane Valencia

The person who reported it replied by email. Checking the activity log just now (thank you for that suggestion) I see that her post did show up on the group.

She also replied again to the same message thread, and the situation happened again -- where her message went to a non-member (a different email address). The non-member attempted to email back to the list, but of course it didn't go through to the List but did go through to her: "I think you sent this to the wrong person."

I'm quite puzzled. As far as I can tell, this has only happened to her.

Jane
Harp List Owner/Moderator

Jane Valencia

That's right, Chris. The message thread is about spam and is not spam. I included the detail about the message thread content just in case it might be relevant.

cheers,

Jane