Topics

Problem with a maverick member #problem-member

Epicatt2

Help!

We have been having a problem with a certain member of our group who continues to post off-topic stuff to our group and refuses to adhere to our group's Posting Guidelnes.

We fnally set his subscription to 'Override: not allowed to post' after his continued ignoring of our requests to toe the line with his posts –which he just continues to ignore.

Now he is has begun sending email to our group's 'Post' email address plus privately CC-ing his email to some unsuspecting member or other of our group and that member then unwittingly replies to his post which then rides piggybacked into our group's message archives on the unsuspectingm member's email. Repeated requests to cease and desist have gone unrespected. We are now ready to ban this member.

Will banning this uncoöperative member keep him from piggybacking messages onto our group via an unsupecting group member's reply?

We don't want to set our group's Message Archives to Private because that is irreversable. Doing that would be a last resort.

Any suggestions for how to stop this blocked member from piggybacking onto our group would be welcome.

Is this problem something that Owmer Mark might deal with if we are unable to get this member to stop sneaking off-topic stuff onto our group?

Fingers X-ed!

Paul M.
CostaRicaLiving
https: //groups.io/g/CostaRicaLiving
==

Chris Jones

On Wed, Oct 14, 2020 at 10:15 AM, Epicatt2 wrote:
Any suggestions for how to stop this blocked member from piggybacking onto our group would be welcome.
If I was in your position I think I would have banned the person concerned some time ago! As things stand at the moment he cannot post but can still receive emails when others post; he therefore has something to which he can append a reply in the hope of sneaking it through.

If you ban him then he will not receive group posts and will thus not have anything to which he can add something. To be doubly sure set his email delivery to No Email.

Is this problem something that Owner Mark might deal with if we are unable to get this member to stop sneaking off-topic stuff onto our group?
Not obviously; if he replies to members direct then those don't go through Groups.io so I cannot see what Mark could do.

Ban him immediately, if not sooner!

Chris

Paul Grosse

If he won't follow the groups terms kick him.

KWKloeber

Why put up with any of that behavior?
warn
moderate
warn
gone.

tough love for your sake and members’ sake who don’t need that going on.

Peter Cook

Seems to me that the trick this member is using could be done even if he's not a member. So along with giving him the boot (which I would certainly do), you will probably need to send a notice to the members not to engage with him.

Epicatt2

On Wed, Oct 14, 2020 at 07:10 AM, Chris Jones wrote:

. . . if he replies to members direct then those don't go through Groups.io so I
cannot see what Mark could do.
== ==
The thing is that when our problem member replies to an unsuspecting group member the problem member also CCs our group and when the unsuspecting member notices that that in the header the member thinks it is a post made to the group so when that member replies to our group and does not strip out the previous message (a well-known and chronic problem with emailers) then the problem member's text gets posted (via that piggybacking) to the group.

And while we agree that banning this problem member should be done post haste even if the problem member is banned some of his posts are still getting onto our group through this sneaky piggybacking workaround. So apart from banning this problem member we are unsure how to inturrupt this problem member's sneaky workaround. (And FWIW we have already set this problem member's ssubscription to 'No Email - Web Only' and to 'Override: not allowed to post'.)

Regards,

Paul M.
CostaRicaLiving
https: //groups.io/g/CostaRicaLiving
==

Peter Cook

Since there is essentially no way to stop this behavior, an option is to put the group on moderation for some period of time so you can reject any messages that people reply-all to. Hopefully this person will get bored and stop.

Pete

Chris Jones

On Wed, Oct 14, 2020 at 06:11 PM, Epicatt2 wrote:
And FWIW we have already set this problem member's ssubscription to 'No Email - Web Only' and to 'Override: not allowed to post'.
Don't forget that he can change his email delivery back again.

As I said earlier once he is banned he will not receive group emails, i.e. other member's posts. There will therefore be nothing he can reply to.

I can see no reason whatsoever why he should not be banned now. Once that has been done then if there is a residual problem then a workaround for that can be investigated.

Have you got any sort of reason for not banning him?

Chris

Donald Hellen

On Wed, 14 Oct 2020 09:17:21 -0700, "Peter Cook"
<peterscottcook@gmail.com> wrote:

Seems to me that the trick this member is using could be done even if he's not a member. So along with giving him the boot (which I would certainly do), you will probably need to send a notice to the members not to engage with him.
If you don't need to display your messages publicly, you can turn them
off so they don't play that trick with your group when they're no
longer a member.

Donald

Peter Cook

Good points. I was thinking in terms of the member still having some of the other members' email addresses after he's removed (from old posts), so he could still play the same trick.

Epicatt2

Our maverick member has now been banned and all our Moderators are aware of the situation.

We Moderators will obviously have to manually deal with any further attempts of sneaky piggybacking onto active members' posts by this banned party. If we are diligent and can catch things before they get approved then the banned party should eventually give up trying to sneak material onto our group.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions. They have been helpful for clarifying how we need to proceed wth this situation.

Donald Hellen wrote:

Seems to me that the trick this member is using could be done even if he's
not a member. So along with giving him the boot (which I would certainly
do), you will probably need to send a notice to the members not to engage
with him.
Donald, we suspect that he while he was a member of our group that he collected a list of our
members which he's using to make his sneaky PBing. And because there are so many folks
who do not bother to strip out the old messages from their replies the guy gets away with
coattailng this way. We've already sent a couple members an aviso about this so some
are already aware of the situation.

and <peterscottcook@...> replied:
If you don't need to display your messages publicly, you can turn them
off so they don't play that trick with your group when they're no
longer a member.
Peter, we view privatizing our Message Archives as a last ditch option, since it is irreversible.
We are hoping that if we stay on top of his attempts the banned member will eventually give up.

Regards,

Paul M.
CostaRicaLiving
https: //groups.io/g/CostaRicaLiving
==

Peter Cook

(Actually, the first quote was from me and the second from Donald.)

Anyway, it sounds like you're going to have to make some tough decisions, since there isn't anything GIO can do to stop this. I'd put the group on moderation for a short time while educating everyone. It may be something that you just have to live with for a while.

Pete