Topics

What's your experience with "Content flagged as objectionable"


debbie
 

It's evening in my time zone. My neighborhood group of over 3000 is fully moderated. This morning I approved a few messages that were borderline "objectionable" and I thought that the group should hear what the writers had to say. Then it started to get so that I didn't think more messages should be put through about the subject (pandemic related), as it was turning a little unpleasant. I announced it and received many thank yous privately. Anyway, this afternoon a new member joined. He replied to the pending member message immediately and it sounded OK to me, so I approved it. About an hour later, I received a "content flagged as objectionable" message which included a threat to report one of those approved messages as a TOS violation. He claimed "misrepresentation". He complained that I let a certain message through (the one he objects to) but won't let other peaceful messages on the topic through. Not in those exact words, but that's the gist of it.

I often stop conversations when I see them about to go sideways. I never delete the already approved messages. People have known that for years. Besides, I'd say that probably over 80% of the members get single messages or digests, so there's no point if everyone already got those messages. Of the others that are 'nomail', most of them don't even read the messages, as they joined just to advertise. I suspect that this "new member" may be someone who has been on the list and was just trying to subscribe anonymously with a partly common name. IOW, there are others in the neighborhood with that last name. He subscribed via the web and the "They accessed the web from:" info is not suspect.

My question is, what is your experience with a member actually reporting a TOS violation against the group? Should I be worried?

In the meantime, I'm going to try to investigate further as to who this person really is. Google was no help.

DM



Duane
 

On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 12:05 PM, debbie wrote:
My question is, what is your experience with a member actually reporting a TOS violation against the group? Should I be worried?
Unless it's a blatant violation, say copyright infringement, I wouldn't worry about it.  Mark has much better things to spend his time on.

In the TOS, it says, "You agree to not use the Service to:... 4.  impersonate any person or entity, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity;".  I don't think the group would be held accountable, only the person that's misrepresenting themselves.

I've only received about 10 objections to any type of content on my groups.  So far I've done nothing about any of them and we're still here 6 years later. ;>)

Duane
--
The official Groups.io user documentation is in the Groups.io Help Center.
GMF's Unofficial Help Wiki: https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki


Chris Jones
 

On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 06:05 PM, debbie wrote:
so I approved it. About an hour later, I received a "content flagged as objectionable" message which included a threat to report one of those approved messages as a TOS violation. He claimed "misrepresentation". He complained that I let a certain message through (the one he objects to) but won't let other peaceful messages on the topic through.
Perhaps I'm a bit very cynical, but IMHO if someone joins and raises a complaint almost immediately then I suspect that a troublemaker is on the loose. Has he provided enough detail for you to be able to refute his assertion? If not then ask for more detailed reasoning.

"Misrepresentation" of what, exactly? It can be argued that if someone states something that is wrong then that may be a genuine mistake which someone else is at liberty to correct. Saying something in error is not really misrepresentation unless the error is wilful. At the same time the word misrepresent only appears once in the ToS, specifically in the phrase or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity; has he backed up his accusation in any way whatsoever?

And on what basis does he claim that you have not let other peaceful messages on the topic through?

This may be an occasion where you need to blow the dust off the ban hammer...

Chris


debbie
 

Thank you Duane and Chris for your input. It's been more than a day and I haven't heard anything else yet. I think I will continue to ignore it. I haven't found any more hints as to who that person really is, if he's not who he says he is!

On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 10:25 PM Chris Jones via groups.io <chrisjones12=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 06:05 PM, debbie wrote:
so I approved it. About an hour later, I received a "content flagged as objectionable" message which included a threat to report one of those approved messages as a TOS violation. He claimed "misrepresentation". He complained that I let a certain message through (the one he objects to) but won't let other peaceful messages on the topic through.
Perhaps I'm a bit very cynical, but IMHO if someone joins and raises a complaint almost immediately then I suspect that a troublemaker is on the loose. Has he provided enough detail for you to be able to refute his assertion? If not then ask for more detailed reasoning.

"Misrepresentation" of what, exactly? It can be argued that if someone states something that is wrong then that may be a genuine mistake which someone else is at liberty to correct. Saying something in error is not really misrepresentation unless the error is wilful. At the same time the word misrepresent only appears once in the ToS, specifically in the phrase or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity; has he backed up his accusation in any way whatsoever?

And on what basis does he claim that you have not let other peaceful messages on the topic through?

This may be an occasion where you need to blow the dust off the ban hammer...

Chris