Topics

Group Users

Annie Green

By Group Managers Forum do you mean only moderators can ask questions?   Often times my group members have questions I can't answer.   Can they go directly to this group for answers?

Bruce Bowman

On Fri, Oct 9, 2020 at 09:36 AM, Annie Green wrote:
By Group Managers Forum do you mean only moderators can ask questions?

GMF Mission Statement:

We strive to be a resource of the highest quality for owners and moderators of Groups.io groups. We allow as much information as possible from our group to be accessed by visitors! Would you like to be a better Groups.io group owner and/or moderator? Would you like to see even more improvements in Groups.io groups? We discuss our experiences as both group owners and moderators, share ideas for promoting and customizing the content areas, and offer various techniques for managing groups.

Often times my group members have questions I can't answer. Can they go directly to this group for answers?
Sure, if they don't mind weeding through all the Moderator/Owner-type discussions. Group_Help may be a better fit.

Regards,
Bruce, GMF Mod

On Fri, Oct 9, 2020 at 02:36 PM, Annie Green wrote:
Often times my group members have questions I can't answer.
AFAIK there is no bar on anyone joining and using this forum even if it is aimed at Owners and Moderators, but in all fairness as a Group Owner you should ask the questions then feed the answers back to your wider membership.

Although I have never seen it set in tablets of stone anywhere, the role of Owner or Moderator really requires the postholders to acquire as much understanding as possible about the workings of Groups.io and keep up to date with the changes as they happen; that requires a commitment that individual members are unlikely to exhibit. If an individual member comes along and asks a question, are they likely to pass it on to others who encounter the same problem? I suspect not...

Being a group Owner or Moderator brings a fair degree of responsibility with it.

On Fri, Oct 9, 2020 at 09:46 AM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
Group_Help may be a better fit.
Or even the Members Manual.  Probably 99% of their questions could be answered by reading that.

Annie Green

Thanks.  Being an intermediary is a challenge since I can't sit with the member these days!!  The real problem is so many different operating systems and what I tell an Android user differs with Windows,or Apple,  etc so like I have at least 10 emails  on how to search a message.  I've just sent the group the group help page. Thanks.

One more thing.  Please define Archive messages.  We rarely archive anything will the search for archived messages include recent messages?

Tnx again.

Frances

On Fri, Oct 9, 2020 at 11:38 AM, Annie Green wrote:
One more thing.  Please define Archive messages.  We rarely archive anything will the search for archived messages include recent messages?
From the Glossary in Help:

Archive
A repository of all messages posted to a group, except messages that have been deleted. The messages in the archive are displayed in chronological order on a group’s website when someone clicks the Messages link.
https://groups.io/helpcenter/glossary/1/terms/archive

GMF wiki for help. Search box at the top of each page.

Check out the new groups.io Help Center  Use your browser to search or download the PDF.