Topics

Digest missing total 30% of posts... #bug #digests

Gwen Stritter, MD

Hello, fellow managers.

I have periodically noted that digests (from one specific group only) will have a long blank space for the first 30 - 50%, and then start at post 3b or some such.

It was happening intermittently initially, but in the last week it is happening with every digest.  I haven't heard any other group members complaining.  None of my other groups have this problem.  I recently set my email client to NOT load remote content automatically - I simply select that option once I open the digest.  I think that security step may have exacerbated the problem, but the problem definitely preceded the change.  I would like to fix the problem without changing my security setting, if at all possible.

Any and all advice is much appreciated!
Gwen

Christopher Warrington

On Tue, Oct 6, 2020 at 05:23 PM, Gwen Stritter, MD wrote:

I have periodically noted that digests (from one specific group only) will have a long blank space for the first 30 - 50%, and then start at post 3b or some such.

If you switch your mail client into plain text mode, so you see the missing messages?

If you can't switch, try looking at the message source and looking at the text/plain alternative insurance of the text/html one.

My thinking is that there's an HTML tag in one of the first messages that your client thinks needs to be closed. This is a way to validate that guess.

-- Christopher Warrington

Bruce Bowman

On Tue, Oct 6, 2020 at 08:23 PM, Gwen Stritter, MD wrote:
I have periodically noted that digests (from one specific group only) will have a long blank space for the first 30 - 50%, and then start at post 3b or some such.
Gwen -- Peculiar. But I'll take a stab at this.

Each digest should at least have an index of messages at the top ("Topics in this Digest"), along with the number of messages in each topic listed. Are the missing messages gone from the index, too?

It could also be that someone is using a white font (or more generally, a font that's the same color as your mail reader background). Fairly unlikely, but it does happen. If so, you should be able to see the "missing" text by selecting the blank area with your mouse cursor.

Generally, are the missing posts all sent by the same person? A screenshot from your end could be really helpful here.

It was happening intermittently initially, but in the last week it is happening with every digest.  I haven't heard any other group members complaining.  None of my other groups have this problem.

Another idea:  If someone top-quotes and posts his reply below, it often happens that none of that message makes it into the digest. Subscribers need to be trained not to do that.

Go to your online message archive and open one of the "missing" messages. Do you have to click on the blue "Show Quoted Text" button to see any of it? If so, that's what is happening.

I hope something in there helps.

ro-esp

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 05:27 AM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
If someone top-quotes and posts his reply below, it often
happens that none of that message makes it into the digest. Subscribers need
to be trained not to do that.

Go to your online message archive and open one of the "missing" messages. Do
you have to click on the blue "Show Quoted Text" button to see any of it? If
so, that's what is happening.
I don't get what you are trying to say. What do you mean? by "top-quotes" for example.

groetjes, Ronaldo

Bruce Bowman

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 04:04 PM, ro-esp wrote:
What do you mean? by "top-quotes" for example.
See https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/message/34013 for a recent example of where virtually none of the post appeared in the subsequent digest.

ro-esp

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 11:03 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 04:04 PM, ro-esp wrote:
What do you mean? by "top-quotes" for example.
See https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/message/34013 for a recent example
of where virtually none of the post appeared in the subsequent digest.
So how did that happen? Did Tony put a ">" before every line of his comment?

groetjes/ĝis, Ronaldo

Duane

On Thu, Oct 8, 2020 at 11:02 AM, ro-esp wrote:
So how did that happen? Did Tony put a ">" before every line of his comment?
It's how some (most?) email clients handle quoting.  You may not actually see it, depending how/where you reply, but it's implied.  It's also how the site handles it.

Gwen Stritter, MD

Bruce, switching to plain text mode allowed me to see the missing posts!  There were about 8 missing posts, each from a different sender;  there were 2 separate topics involved.  The attached screen shot shows what the email looked like.  Basically, it was blank like that.  When the scroll bar had been moved down about 80% of the way, the first visible post, 3b, shows up.

I did open one of the missing messages online.  There were no top-quotes.

Thanks for the partial work-around, but there are no active links in the plain text mode.  Any ideas on how to fix it so I don't have to go into plain text mode?  Your advice has been very helpful!
G.

Tony Moody

Ro and All,

Umm, No! I didn' t put in the "> " :-)) they must have been there; as here below.
[ ok, it is a setting in my emailer ]

I am an old bottom poster.

What I did was write "See below" at the top . Which Groups.io treats as a top post !

And then, after trimming my info from footer, put in my reply at the bottom. Like I always do.
Obviously not liked by this system.

OK,
Tony

A. Top posters.
Q. What is the most annoying thing on Usenet
_______________________________________

On 8 Oct 2020 at 8:34, ro-esp wrote about
Subject : Re: [GMF] Digest missing total 30%

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 11:03 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 04:04 PM, ro-esp wrote:
What do you mean? by "top-quotes" for example.
See https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/message/34013 for a
recent example of where virtually none of the post appeared in the
subsequent digest.
So how did that happen? Did Tony put a ">" before every line of his
comment?

groetjes/ĝis, Ronaldo

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
<footer snipped -tm>

Those who live by the sword......usually get shot by those who don't!

ro-esp

On Thu, Oct 8, 2020 at 07:32 PM, Duane wrote:

On Thu, Oct 8, 2020 at 11:02 AM, ro-esp wrote:

So how did that happen? Did Tony put a ">" before every line of his
comment?
It's how some (most?) email clients handle quoting.  You may not actually see
it, depending how/where you reply, but it's implied.
I'm not sure what you mean. Decent emailclients allow interspersed replies. Maybe microsoft-dictatorship ones don't.

It's also how the site handles it.
Which site?

Like Tony just said, it's a setting in his email. Just out of curiosity, what is the setting called? "hide all quote"?

groetjes/ĝis, Ronaldo

Tony Moody

Ronaldo,
[this is getting a bit Off Topic. ]
I use Pegasus Mail http://www.pmail.com/
When I do a Reply there are some options, one of which is :
Prefix text included from the original with '>' markers
Note that this is usually a 'sticky' setting here and that I have switched it Off.

Hope that helps.

OK,
Tony

On 10 Oct 2020 at 15:48, ro-esp wrote about :

On Thu, Oct 8, 2020 at 07:32 PM, Duane wrote:

On Thu, Oct 8, 2020 at 11:02 AM, ro-esp wrote:

So how did that happen? Did Tony put a ">" before every line of his
comment?
<snip -tm>