Can't change group email address #groupname #settings


Martin G8BHC
 

Trying to edit the group email address in accordance with the handbook instructions but get a red warning message that "Cannot contain spaces, pluses, periods, or underscores." It doesn't. Either that or I get a message that the group doesn't exist. 
 


Bruce Bowman
 

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 07:04 AM, Martin G8BHC wrote:
Trying to edit the group email address in accordance with the handbook instructions but get a red warning message that "Cannot contain spaces, pluses, periods, or underscores." It doesn't.
The name can't contain unicode characters, just regular ASCII. Try typing the name into the box...don't cut-and-paste it.

There's also a limit on length...34 characters or something like that.

Regards,
Bruce

Check out the groups.io Help Center and groups.io Owners Manual


Martin G8BHC
 

Thanks, Bruce, but that doesn’t work.
Deleted and retyped in Group Email Address and also into Message Formatting : Subject tag.
Also get a "That group doesn’t exist" message.

Other fields can be changed without problem.

Regards

Martin RH



On 24 Sep 2020, at 14:00, Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 07:04 AM, Martin G8BHC wrote:
Trying to edit the group email address in accordance with the handbook instructions but get a red warning message that "Cannot contain spaces, pluses, periods, or underscores." It doesn't.
The name can't contain unicode characters, just regular ASCII. Try typing the name into the box...don't cut-and-paste it.

There's also a limit on length...34 characters or something like that.

Regards,
Bruce

Check out the groups.io Help Center and groups.io Owners Manual


Bruce Bowman
 

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 10:06 AM, Martin G8BHC wrote:
Thanks, Bruce, but that doesn’t work.
Deleted and retyped in Group Email Address and also into Message Formatting : Subject tag.
That being so, it probably means the name is already in use. Try something else.

Also get a "That group doesn’t exist" message.
I have no explanation for that. A screenshot would be helpful.

Good luck,
Bruce

P.S. I acknowledge that the error text for this function isn't particularly informative.

Check out the groups.io Help Center and groups.io Owners Manual


Martin G8BHC
 

Tried to set up a new group and get That address is not available.
Probbly because I tried earlier and then deleted the group when I realised I could amend the group email address, according to the Manual.
I’ll leave it a few days and try again. Not an urgent issue.
As they say, "If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it".
Cheers



Martin RH



On 24 Sep 2020, at 15:14, Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 10:06 AM, Martin G8BHC wrote:
Thanks, Bruce, but that doesn’t work.
Deleted and retyped in Group Email Address and also into Message Formatting : Subject tag.
That being so, it probably means the name is already in use. Try something else.

Also get a "That group doesn’t exist" message.
I have no explanation for that. A screenshot would be helpful.

Good luck,
Bruce

P.S. I acknowledge that the error text for this function isn't particularly informative.

Check out the groups.io Help Center and groups.io Owners Manual


Duane
 

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 12:46 PM, Martin G8BHC wrote:
Tried to set up a new group and get That address is not available.
If you want to use that particular name, you may have a long wait.  There's no definite recycle time and it could be years.  Before I delete a group, for whatever reason, I make sure to change the name to gobbledygook so the original name is available again right away.

Duane
--
The official Groups.io user documentation is in the Groups.io Help Center.
GMF's Unofficial Help Wiki: https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki


Martin G8BHC
 

Thanks, Duane. Oh, well. Never mind.

Martin RH

On 24 Sep 2020, at 18:53, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 12:46 PM, Martin G8BHC wrote:
Tried to set up a new group and get That address is not available.
If you want to use that particular name, you may have a long wait.  There's no definite recycle time and it could be years.  Before I delete a group, for whatever reason, I make sure to change the name to gobbledygook so the original name is available again right away.

Duane
--
The official Groups.io user documentation is in the Groups.io Help Center.
GMF's Unofficial Help Wiki: https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki