Topics

Calendar notifications and separate moderator role for calendar

SooHoo, Spencer L

1.  When we first migrated to Groups.IO, I disabled the calendar since people were complaining that they were getting too many calendar notifications.  Is there a way to allow my subscribers to "opt-in" to get notifications? I see that there is a setting to allow a summary (weeky, bi-weekly, etc.).  Is this a global setting ?

2.  I have a member who is willing to maintain the calendar, but do not want him to be a moderator for the rest of the discussion group.  Is there a way to do this?  One way I though of was to create a separate discussion group solely for events and give him moderator rights to that group...then people who wanted calendar notices could subscribe to that group.

Thanks in advance for fielding these questions.

Bruce Bowman

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 08:35 PM, SooHoo, Spencer L wrote:
1.  When we first migrated to Groups.IO, I disabled the calendar since people were complaining that they were getting too many calendar notifications.  Is there a way to allow my subscribers to "opt-in" to get notifications?
Spencer -- The best way for an individual to handle this is to mute the corresponding hashtags. Having done so, they won't receive those notifications [by email] anymore. https://groups.io/helpcenter/membersmanual/1/controlling-the-volume-of-email-messages-you

As a group Owner, you can also put those hashtags on moderation so you can head off any such notifications that may be sent to the group inadvertently. https://groups.io/helpcenter/ownersmanual/1/managing-hashtags/viewing-creating-modifying-and-deleting-hashtags

I see that there is a setting to allow a summary (weeky, bi-weekly, etc.).

When chosen, this applies to all group emails, not just calendar notifications.

Is this a global setting ?
There is no such global setting.

2.  I have a member who is willing to maintain the calendar, but do not want him to be a moderator for the rest of the discussion group.  Is there a way to do this?
You can set/disable the Edit Archives and Approve Pending Messages permissions (and many others) on a Moderator-by-Moderator basis. See https://groups.io/helpcenter/ownersmanual/1/managing-moderators-and-additional-owners/making-a-member-an-owner-or-moderator

All of this stuff and more can be found in the groups.io help center.

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 08:35 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:

When chosen, this applies to all group emails, not just calendar notifications.

 If you have a paid group, on the settings page, in the Features panel, you can choose "Send Event Summaries" in the calendar area, setting the frequency you want.

Andy Wedge

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 03:03 AM, Duane wrote:
on the settings page, in the Features panel, you can choose "Send Event Summaries" in the calendar area, setting the frequency you want.
We use Event Summaries to avoid overloading members with different reminders for individual events. The owner's manual states that the summary lists the next 20 events but I have never seen more than 10. I did raise this in beta last year but there was no response so I'll give it another nudge.

Regards
Andy

Andy Wedge

On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 01:08 PM, Andy Wedge wrote:
The owner's manual states that the summary lists the next 20 events but I have never seen more than 10. I did raise this in beta last year but there was no response so I'll give it another nudge.
Mark has just confirmed this is now changed to 20 events per summary:  https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/26264

Andy