Reply To Topic Followers Only #question

Marina

NEW: New Group/Topic Reply To Setting: Reply To Topic Followers Only
________

I need some clarification on how this new option works.
If a topic is set to "Reply To Topic Followers Only" replies to that topic appear in the group message archive or are hidden?
Can moderators view replies to topics set to "Reply To Topic Followers Only"?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Marina

Bruce Bowman

On Sat, Sep 5, 2020 at 01:39 PM, Marina wrote:
NEW: New Group/Topic Reply To Setting: Reply To Topic Followers Only
________

I need some clarification on how this new option works.
It's pretty complicated. See https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/76544886 .  Here's what I think's going on, with the understanding that I haven't tested any of this.

Essentially, this setting forces the Advanced Preferences of both "Following Only" and "First Message Also" on all subscribers, except:
  • Anyone who initiates a topic (or has replied to it) automatically gets a "follow this topic" record (without having to do so manually), and
  • Even if you don't select it in the group settings, you can implement this behavior on an individual topic either by "Edit Topic" or via a #hashtag
Confused yet? Me too.  :-)

This kinda came out of left field, with no preliminary discussion in beta. I suspect an Enterprise group asked for it.

If a topic is set to "Reply To Topic Followers Only" replies to that topic appear in the group message archive or are hidden?
A very good question.

This is not a normal "reply-to" setting. A normal "Reply-to" changes fields in the outgoing email headers, such that in many cases they don't come back to the group at all. But that wouldn't work in this case, because the message must come back to groups.io in order to be routed to those who are following the topic.

On that basis it seems reasonable to assume that all posted messages still appear in the archive and only email delivery is affected (i.e.: the same way that the Advanced Preferences work). But again, I haven't tested it.

Can moderators view replies to topics set to "Reply To Topic Followers Only"?
There does not appear to be a moderator override. Moderators would be able to read messages online, but if they want to receive emails in a given topic, they would have to meet the same "following" criteria as anyone else. Or such is my understanding.

Hope this helps,

Marina

On Sat, Sep 5, 2020 at 08:33 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:

On that basis it seems reasonable to assume that all posted messages still
appear in the archive and only email delivery is affected (i.e.: the same way
that the Advanced Preferences work). But again, I haven't tested it.
Many thanks, Bruce. I must confess that I am still very puzzled.
If I have understood correctly, it's up to moderators to set a topic to "Reply To Topic Followers Only".
What would be the practical use of this choice?
Can't wrap my head around it.

Marina

Bruce Bowman

On Sat, Sep 5, 2020 at 04:07 PM, Marina wrote:
If I have understood correctly, it's up to moderators to set a topic to "Reply To Topic Followers Only".
Marina -- Yes, but that Moderator would need to have the "Edit Archives" permission.

What would be the practical use of this choice?
It might be useful to implement this reply-to setting if a topic begins to stray too far afield. Those who have already participated can continue to discuss it without subsequent emails being sent to the rest of the group. Effectively, you've muted the topic from that point forward, to avoid annoying those who aren't interested.

I can also see it as a useful group-wide setting for "For Sale" groups. After initially posting an ad, interested people can then reply to that first message (the one containing the ad). That collection of subscribers can then bid against each other for the item, haggle on a price, whatever -- again, without cluttering up everyone else's inboxes.

If you read your messages using the web interface, this is all meaningless...you would see all the posts anyway. But experience suggests that a lot of subscribers stick with email and rarely bother to log in.

Marina

It might be useful to implement this reply-to setting if a topic begins to
stray too far afield. Those who have already participated can continue to
discuss it without subsequent emails being sent to the rest of the group.
Effectively, you've muted the topic from that point forward, to avoid annoying
those who aren't interested.
Thank you again for clarifying the new feature, Bruce.

Have a nice Sunday,
Marina