Topics

How to post as a Moderator?


Chris Klemmer
 

A member of a group I moderate responded to a recent New Topic posting with a request to forum management to update her account info. How do I respond to her as a group moderator rather than as a member?


Nivard Ovington
 

Hi Chris

Go to your members list, find the subscriber and select them

Scroll down and click Send Message

Bcc yourself or all moderators if required

Nivard Ovington in Cornwall (UK)

On 22/08/2020 22:06, Chris Klemmer via groups.io wrote:
A member of a group I moderate responded to a recent New Topic posting with a request to forum management to update her account info. How do I respond to her as a group moderator rather than as a member?


Bruce Bowman
 

On Sat, Aug 22, 2020 at 05:06 PM, Chris Klemmer wrote:
How do I respond to her as a group moderator rather than as a member?
Chris -- You can proactively send any member a private message from the +owner address using the instructions found at https://groups.io/helpcenter/ownersmanual/1/sending-and-receiving-group-owner-email-messages/sending-messages-from-the-owner-email-address

You can also start a New Topic in the group using the +owner address by selecting it from the "From:" pull-down menu at the top of the message composition screen prior to sending.

To my knowledge, both of these functions are only available via the web interface. There is no provision within groups.io to "reply" to the entire group as a Moderator,* nor can +owner messages be sent via email. 

Hope this helps,
Bruce

*There are work-arounds available to kinda make this happen, but it's very inconvenient. Ask if you're really interested.

Check out the groups.io Help Center and groups.io Owners Manual


Don Grass
 

Chris could also sign their post to the member with:

"Chris,
Group Moderator"

and that can be done through their own email program. I've done that for years, and it works fine.

Don


Marina
 

Bruce Bowman:

You can also start a New Topic in the group using the +owner address by
selecting it from the "From:" pull-down menu at the top of the message
composition screen prior to sending.
I have done a test with my group moderators, the message appears as sent from the owner address but with the name of the actual sender, in this case the moderator's name.
Is there a way to send a message in the group from the owner address under a standard name, such as Owner or Admin, etc.?

Marina


Bruce Bowman
 

On Sun, Aug 23, 2020 at 11:37 AM, Don Grass wrote:
Chris could also sign their post to the member with:

"Chris,
Group Moderator"
True, and simple enough. Still, there seems to be little reason why we cannot reply to a message using the +owner address. I've made a suggestion to that effect in beta.

I may have jumped to conclusions as to what Chris's goal is (see below)...

On Sun, Aug 23, 2020 at 11:46 AM, Marina wrote:
I have done a test with my group moderators, the message appears as sent from the owner address but with the name of the actual sender, in this case the moderator's name.
Is there a way to send a message in the group from the owner address under a standard name, such as Owner or Admin, etc.?
If anonymity is desirable, the only good way to do that is to set up a separate moderator subscription under a different email address (with "group moderator" or something like that as its Display Name) and use that for all such activity.

Regards,
Bruce

Check out the groups.io Help Center and groups.io Owners Manual


Chris Klemmer
 

Thank you all, what great support!
Question answered, problem solved, and I learned a lot.
The power of community is inspiring.
Chris


Marina
 

On Sun, Aug 23, 2020 at 05:48 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:

If anonymity is desirable, the only good way to do that is to set up a
separate moderator subscription under a different email address (with "group
moderator" or something like that as its Display Name) and use that for all
such activity.
Thank you, Bruce. Rather than anonimity I had in mind consistency. Although we do have a specific hashtag for admin messages, it would be more consistent for me (and more clear for my group members) that messages sent from the +owner address appeared under a unique display name.

Best,
Marina


Cal
 

I usually put "From Admin:" or "From the List Admin:" (or something similar) at the beginning of the subject line.

Cal


From: "Marina" <moderatore@...>
To: GroupManagersForum@groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, August 25, 2020 9:51:53 AM
Subject: Re: [GMF] How to post as a Moderator?

On Sun, Aug 23, 2020 at 05:48 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:

> If anonymity is desirable, the only good way to do that is to set up a
> separate moderator subscription under a different email address (with "group
> moderator" or something like that as its Display Name) and use that for all
> such activity.

Thank you, Bruce. Rather than anonimity I had in mind consistency. Although we do have a specific hashtag for admin messages, it would be more consistent for me (and more clear for my group members) that messages sent from the +owner  address appeared under a unique display name.

Best,
Marina