Topics

downloading group messages

KATHLEEN DESMAISONS

I would like to be able to download the messages from a specific short term group discussion. I cannot seem to find instructions. on how to do that. Does anyone have any ideas or can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Kathleen

Bruce Bowman

On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 12:39 PM, KATHLEEN DESMAISONS wrote:
I would like to be able to download the messages from a specific short term group discussion. I cannot seem to find instructions on how to do that.
Kathleen -- There is no function that will allow you to export a subset of your message archive. It's all or nothing.

It is, however, fairly simple to display all of the messages within a single topic...just click on the subject line when in Topics view, or click the "View all XX messages in this topic" in Messages view. Having done so, you can either print the resulting display to a PDF document, or cut-and-paste it into your favorite word processor. You'll likely lose some formatting during the cut-and-paste operation, though.

Hope this helps,

KATHLEEN DESMAISONS

Bruce, this sounds hopeful :). I actually do want to download all of them. Is there a function for that?

and the rest is very helpful and I will keep it for reference.

thanks!

Kathleen

On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 01:23 PM, KATHLEEN DESMAISONS wrote:
Bruce, this sounds hopeful :). I actually do want to download all of them. Is there a function for that?
Yes. See https://groups.io/helpcenter/ownersmanual/1/exporting-or-downloading-your-group-s-data

KATHLEEN DESMAISONS

Thank you!  Exactly what I hoped for!  I LOVE io

KATHLEEN DESMAISONS

Bruce,
I seem to be missing something. I got the MBox file downloaded. I spent a couple of hours of reading trying to figure out how to open MBox.

I ended up downloading Thunderbird which was able to open the files. When I had it go to Word, it only placed a perfectly formatted single email.
I tried opening it to Text edit and it got the whole thing with a lot of corruption.  I can do a workaround, but there must be something I am missing.

I am highly motivated to learn to use this function skillfully and efficiently.

Thoughts?

Kathleen

Bruce Bowman

On Sat, Jul 11, 2020 at 11:20 AM, KATHLEEN DESMAISONS wrote:
I ended up downloading Thunderbird which was able to open the files. When I had it go to Word, it only placed a perfectly formatted single email.
I tried opening it to Text edit and it got the whole thing with a lot of corruption.  I can do a workaround, but there must be something I am missing.

I am highly motivated to learn to use this function skillfully and efficiently.

Thoughts?
Kathleen -- Happy on this end that you were able to export the group message archive and import it into a Thunderbird folder. Beyond that, I still pretty unclear as to what you're trying to do. Even if I did, I'm not a Thunderbird user, and don't plan to learn all its ins and outs.

Hopefully other TBird users (Shal?) will chime in and give you further instruction. Just understand that what you're talking about here no longer falls under the topic of group management and might be more appropriately posted to https://groups.io/g/thunderbird or some other support group for the Thunderbird email client.

Good luck,

Kathleen,

I ended up downloading Thunderbird which was able to open the files.
Excellent.

You can use Thunderbird this way, as a browser for mbox files. From its interface you can make folders for messages and move messages between folders, or delete or copy messages.

When I had it go to Word, it only placed a perfectly formatted single
email.
"it go to"?

I'm at a loss for what you did or mean by that phrase. I wouldn't have guessed that Word could open an mbox file.

I tried opening it to Text edit and it got the whole thing with a lot
of corruption.
By "corruption" I presume you mean the normal View Source (Show Original) of a list of messages: each message a collection of header fields followed by the message body and any attachments in one or more formats. The mbox content, although technically plain text, is only barely understandable by eye - but not nearly as bad as opening a .doc or .docx as text, or even the unzipped contents of a .docx.

I can do a workaround, but there must be something I am missing.
If your goal was to download the messages and be able to access them on your computer, it seems that you've accomplished it.

With the only caveat that you need to use Thunderbird to view them. That's something akin to needing Word to open doc or docx files, or needing Excel for xls or xlsx files. mbox is just a file format that requires an application to view / edit files in that format.

If this is not what you are after then like Bruce I need clarification on what you need to do with the messages.

I am highly motivated to learn to use this function skillfully and
efficiently.
You may find that you like being able to organize messages within folders on your computer ("Local Folders", in Thunderbird parlance). If so you could consider connecting Thunderbird to one or more of your email service accounts so that you can manage your email messages in the same interface, even move/copy messages between your local folders and folders up on your email service's servers.

Help: https://groups.io/helpcenter

KATHLEEN DESMAISONS

I am happy to clarify.

I am trying to develop a single Word document that lists all the content of the 738 emails in MBOX.

There are several converter programs that will convert the contents of an MBox to a Word document.  It appears that they are all designed for PC use and
I have not found one that will work on an OS platform.

I successfully downloaded the emails from the io group. I received the emails in an MBox file.  I learned that Thunderbird is an excellent resource for working with MBOX. It allows the display of all the emails in something called Fast box MBox editor that provides and very clean listing of every email and can be sorted by date, sender, recipient, subject, and size.

I am still looking for a converter that works on an OS platform.  But learning lots about files.

Kathleen

Laurence Taylor

KATHLEEN DESMAISONS <radiantkd@...> wrote:

I am trying to develop a single Word document that lists all the content of the 738 emails in MBOX.
Well, a MBOX file is simply a text document. Many email clients -
particularly those of a non-Microsoft ancestry - will handle it with no
problem.

Rename it to something .TXT and word - or any other editor programme -
will open it. For large files, I use Notepad++, but pretty much anything
will do.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to do this?

--
rgds
LAurence

Laurence,

Rename it to something .TXT and word - or any other editor programme -
will open it. For large files, I use Notepad++, but pretty much
anything will do.
While it is true that the content is (by specification) plain text, the content is not directly usable for any purpose I can think of other than email forensics.

In addition to the large block of header fields, many messages have their body text encoded, at the least quoted-printable, but sometimes in base64 or other opaque forms. And there's often enough two copies of the body text, one text/plain and one text/HTML. And then there are the attachments...

Out of curiosity, why do you want to do this?
I share that curiosity, though I don't know if it will lead to any inspiration about methods to attain the goal.

Help: https://groups.io/helpcenter

Kathleen,

I am trying to develop a single Word document that lists all the
content of the 738 emails in MBOX.
Hm... That's a daunting number. Otherwise I might suggest "printing" them to PDF or maybe directly to Word with a converting printer driver. There's a print to PDF built in to later versions of Windows, I don't know if Mac or Linux systems have a similar subterfuge.

Alas, even if you select multiple messages in Thunderbird, printing them does them one by one - meaning that the print to PDF driver asks for a new file name for each of them. At least, that's what happens in Windows 10.

So that's probably intolerable, especially if you will need to repeat this operation in the future.

Help: https://groups.io/helpcenter

Michael Pavan

On Jul 12, 2020, at 12:27 PM, Shal Farley <@Shal> wrote:
There's a print to PDF built in to later versions of Windows, I don't know if Mac or Linux systems have a similar subterfuge.
Mac has had that since sometime last century

Bruce Bowman

On Sun, Jul 12, 2020 at 12:28 PM, Shal Farley wrote:
Alas, even if you select multiple messages in Thunderbird, printing them does them one by one - meaning that the print to PDF driver asks for a new file name for each of them. At least, that's what happens in Windows 10.
Continuing the digression...

The importexporttools add-on (https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/importexporttools/) allows you to export an entire folder of TBird messages as one long text file. I know, because I've done it...months ago when Yahoo was shutting down groups and I wanted to salvage some of those message archives. But I no longer have TBird installed and can no longer walk anyone through that process.

It's also possible that add-on is unavailable in an iOS version. Even if it is, the result is not a Word document. Some desired formatting could be lost.

The original question posed here in GMF was how to download the messages. Perhaps Kathleen will have more success posting this followup inquiry to the Thunderbird group. Or not. :-)

Bill Burns

On 11-Jul-20 8:11 PM, KATHLEEN DESMAISONS wrote:
I am trying to develop a single Word document that lists all the content of the 738 emails in MBOX.
If you have the emails in Thunderbird, the ImportExportTools add-on has various options for saving all messages in a TB folder to a TXT file (or other formats).

https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/importexporttools/

The same add-on will also import emails from the MBOX file into Thunderbird if you need to do that first.

--
Bill

KATHLEEN DESMAISONS

Ok, let me update all of you with what I have. been doing.  First of all, "why"?

I am an author. I have an international community of people who like my work and find my insights helpful. In the spring of this year, when
most of us were really struggling with the impact of COVD 19 on our lives, I offered an online line class on transforming fear. It including my
discussion of how fear works in the brain and what we can do to rewire the fear response. A hundred people showed up for the class. I presented 13 lessons and we had a rather profound online conversation about making life changes to heal fear. The conversation was done in 788 emails.

Now, I would like to develop the material into a book both for those who took the course and for those who didn't. Because we had made a massive switch from Yahoo to io last fall [after 20 years talking with people on Yahoo], I was able to export those 788 emails from the group I used for the class at io. The emails were sent to me as an MBox file. So then I had the collection and what I wanted to do was convert the contents of the MBox to a Microsoft Word document in a Mac OS environment.

I got several excellent suggestions here. I got Thunderbird and sent the MBox file from the email I had received from IO to the Thunderbox Mail program.
MBox has an internal add on that is called Fast MBox editor. When I set it to open the files in Word, it opened one file perfectly. When I set it to open them in text and it opened all of them in essentially unusable raw data.

I asked here and was told it really wasn't an io support issue and I should ask over on a Thunderbird support forum. I then went looking for a converter program. I found several, but none of them allowed for use in a Mac OS. I asked my web tech support guy and he has not used MBox. I called a friend who is a senior programmer at Google and he couldn't understand what I was talking about.  I spent more than 8 hours trying to find a solution.

I am now determined to find a way to do this. It will give me a way to convert 20 years of skill I have build in talking with people about very complex healing ideas. When I talked to my tech guys in 1998 about building an international healing community, they had no idea what I meant. There was no FB, no Twitter, nada. We started with elists and migrated to Yahoo and suffered through all those growing pains and then devolvement of service. When io emerged, I had no idea that we were all connected from those early days. it has been a miraculous tool to FINALLY do what was simply a vision 30 years ago.

I am not a programmer. I understand enough tech stuff to conceptually listen and get to where I need to go. I love you guys here. Really I just want to go from emails to formatted text in a Mac edition of MS Word. I refuse to get a PC LOLOL. There has to be a solution for this. Can we keep problem-solving?

Kathleen

Bruce Bowman

On Wed, Jul 15, 2020 at 01:15 AM, KATHLEEN DESMAISONS wrote:
Really I just want to go from emails to formatted text in a Mac edition of MS Word. I refuse to get a PC LOLOL. There has to be a solution for this.
Have you tried Apple Mail or Outlook?

Rumor has it that Apple Mail can open mbox files (https://support.apple.com/guide/mail/import-or-export-mailboxes-mlhlp1030/mac) and export them in rich-text format (https://support.apple.com/guide/mail/save-emails-as-files-or-pdfs-mlhlp1044/mac).

That's probably as close to native Word as you're ever likely to get.

Bill Burns

Did you try the ImportExportTools add-on for Thunderbird that I suggested a few days ago? I haven't tried it on a Mac but it works on Windows to create a TXT file which will open in Word. You'll lose italics and other fancy formatting, but should get clean text.

Bill