Topics

disappearing online reply options #messages

Curious so I checked (its in viewing preferences in your Account settings, not in group subscription). Confirmed Bruce’s findings.
IPad OS 13.4.1

Patti

Bruce Bowman

On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 02:49 PM, Jean Guevara wrote:
Yes, my messages were in fact displayed oldest to newest, so it was the NEWEST ones-the 5 on bottom-that I wasnt able to reply to. Now that I've reversed the order in which they appear, it's the OLDEST ones-still the 5 on bottom-that I'm not able to reply to.
Aha! I've figured it out. This happens when you have your "Items Per Page" set to Infinite Scroll. Could be related to this thread:  https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/74399305

I will report this for you in beta.

Check out the new groups.io Help Center and groups.io Owners Manual

Andy Wedge

On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 07:49 PM, Jean Guevara wrote:
if someone wants to reply to one of those on the bottom from the website (instead of from email), they just need to reverse the order to get the reply option back again.
That may be a workaround but it doesn't get to the root cause of the issue.  If there is a genuine problem here, we should try and work to fix it for the benefit of everyone.

Regards,
Andy

Jean,

Now that I've reversed the order in which they appear, it's the OLDEST
ones-still the 5 on bottom-that I'm not able to reply to. (And I do
see them ALL...(it isnt a matter of only displaying just 20 at a
time), I just dont have the "reply" button on those bottom 5.
According to your screenshot, not just the Reply link, but the whole bottom bar (Reply Like More) is missing. That's very odd.

I also have been unable to reproduce this, regardless of sort order or whether my Items per page is set to 100 or 20. Having your page display go wonky at 20 strikes me as related to your Items per Page setting. Check your account preferences to see.

Using Firefox on Win10 - which may make a difference. I join Bruce in being curious what browser you're using on what kind of system.

But even if your account is set to 20 items per page, there's still a bug: those extra 4 or 5 messages shouldn't show on page 1 of 2, you should need to advance to the next page to see them.

Help: https://groups.io/helpcenter

Jean Guevara

Thank you, gentelmen! That is so interesting! Yes, my messages were in fact displayed oldest to newest, so it was the NEWEST ones-the 5 on bottom-that I wasnt able to reply to. Now that I've reversed the order in which they appear, it's the OLDEST ones-still the 5 on bottom-that I'm not able to reply to. (And I do see them ALL...(it isnt a matter of only displaying just 20 at a time), I just dont have the "reply" button on those bottom 5. So strange. But, like I said, it's really not a problem, just something odd that we noticed...and now we know if someone wants to reply to one of those on the bottom from the website (instead of from email), they just need to reverse the order to get the reply option back again.

Thank you :)

Jean

Duane

On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 12:48 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
Shal's and Kathleen's posts in your screenshot are the 4th- and 5th-most recent posts in the thread, not the oldest. So if you can't reply to them, but can reply to others further up the page, it's not because they're "too old."
And, of course, the order that they're displayed will depend on how you sort, newest first or oldest first.

Jean -- I looked more carefully at your GMF screenshot and managed to get myself even more confused.  :-)

Shal's and Kathleen's posts in your screenshot are the 4th- and 5th-most recent posts in the thread, not the oldest. So if you can't reply to them, but can reply to others further up the page, it's not because they're "too old."

Nonetheless, there should be a menu bar across the bottom of each message. Clearing your browser cache and reloading the page could help, but that seems unlikely to explain why it's also happening to someone else. Is your group a Premium group? Is it possible that someone has the group locked (unlikely, since you can still send messages by email...)?

At this point I'd also be interested to know what browser/device you are using to do this. Not sure I can provide further [any?] assistance, but perhaps someone else can.

Check out the new groups.io Help Center and groups.io Owners Manual

Bruce Bowman

On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 12:54 PM, Jean Guevara wrote:
Thanks, Bruce. That is interesting...when I clicked your link and saw the list of 25 messages in the moderators' thread, I dont have the option to reply to the first 5...only the most recent 20. This is a screen shot from the point where the 5th message ends and Shal's 4th message begins...no reply option.
Okay, guess #2...

Perhaps you have your account preferences set to display only 20 messages at a time, and to display only the most recent ones?

You have to click the left-right arrows at upper right to page through them, or click on the Date link to invert the sort order.

Or go to https://groups.io/account?page=prefs and increase "Items per Page" to 50 or 100.

So when you look at it, you HAVE the option to reply to Kathleen?

I can reply to any message that is displayed and does not show the padlock icon.

Check out the new groups.io Help Center and groups.io Owners Manual

Jean Guevara

And our Message Policies in the group Setting section are unrestricted. The ONLY box we checked there was the "no email" option.

Jean

Jean Guevara

Thanks, Bruce. That is interesting...when I clicked your link and saw the list of 25 messages in the moderators' thread, I dont have the option to reply to the first 5...only the most recent 20. This is a screen shot from the point where the 5th message ends and Shal's 4th message begins...no reply option. So when you look at it, you HAVE the option to reply to Kathleen?

Bruce Bowman

On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 12:21 PM, Jean Guevara wrote:
A fellow moderator from our group noticed that when viewing messages from the groups.io website, we lose the ability to reply to early messages in a thread once there are more than 20 other messages in that thread. For example, if there are 12 messages in the thread, the option to reply to any of those messages individually (on the group website) is there; but when there are 24 messages in the thread, we only have the option to reply to the most recent 20 of the 24...the option to reply to the first 4 messages is gone.
Jean -- I am unable to verify this behavior. For example, I have no difficulty composing a reply to message https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/message/31290, even though it's the first in a topic of 25 messages.

Check the "Message Policies" section of your group Settings. If you have your group set to lock/moderate topics after a certain time period, that may be what's actually going on.

Hope this helps,
Bruce

Check out the new groups.io Help Center and groups.io Owners Manual

Jean Guevara

Hi friends - just a quick question. A fellow moderator from our group noticed that when viewing messages from the groups.io website, we lose the ability to reply to early messages in a thread once there are more than 20 other messages in that thread. For example, if there are 12 messages in the thread, the option to reply to any of those messages individually (on the group website) is there; but when there are 24 messages in the thread, we only have the option to reply to the most recent 20 of the 24...the option to reply to the first 4 messages is gone. I'm not sure it's problematic for us (and it appears we can always reply to ANY message from our email inbox), but we were wondering if there is a way for us to adjust that number, or what the thought is behind this set-up.

Thanks for any info you can share!
Jean