Topics

SPAM Attempts

Art Kocsis

Just a heads up. Looks like another attempt to SPAM our lists.

Between 04-27 and 05-20 my activity log show about two dozen non-member attempts to post to my groups.
All of the attempts were via email, not web.

The email addresses used were:
[redacted]

And the subjects were:
"Google Anlaytics worldwide traffic"
"monthly SEO plans"
"my keywords went down"
"Recover your ranks with our Monthly SEO plans"
"SEO quote"

in various combinations.

Namaste', Art

[personal identifiers redacted by moderator. Even though it may appear that these addresses are spamming groups it may be that the owner of a given address is not involved - the address may have been spoofed or hijacked.]

Duane

On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 01:06 AM, Art Kocsis wrote:
Between 04-27 and 05-20 my activity log show about two dozen non-member attempts to post to my groups.
All of the attempts were via email, not web.
I doubt that it's directed at any specific group(s).  They use web scrapers to get the email addresses and send them to everyone on the list.  Since GIO is becoming more widely used, the spammers feel like it's a good target.  One of my groups averages 3-5 attempts per day, another has never had an attempt.  Here on GMF, it's been averaging about 2 per day lately.  The spammers hope that the messages will be approved, if the group allows non-members to post, so just keep cranking out the messages and wasting bandwidth.  Thanks to Mark's foresight, it hasn't been a problem for most people.

Art Kocsis

On 06-07-2020 06:28, Duane wrote:
On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 01:06 AM, Art Kocsis wrote:
Between 04-27 and 05-20 my activity log show about two dozen non-member attempts to post to my groups.
All of the attempts were via email, not web.

I doubt that it's directed at any specific group(s). They use web scrapers to get the email addresses and send them to everyone on the list. Since GIO is becoming more widely used, the spammers feel like it's a good target. One of my groups averages 3-5 attempts per day, another has never had an attempt. Here on GMF, it's been averaging about 2 per day lately. The spammers hope that the messages will be approved, if the group allows non-members to post, so just keep cranking out the messages and wasting bandwidth. Thanks to Mark's foresight, it hasn't been a problem for most people.
I neither said nor implied that these attempts were directed to any specific group. I was simply offering a heads up that it was occurring and to be on the lookout for the included email addresses.

Art