Topics

Member Getting Certificate Error

Linda Prain

I have a member of our group that was able to get to our site yesterday, and now today is getting this certificate error.  Does anyone have any insight into this?  To the best of my knowledge no other users in our group are having this issue.  Kind regards - - Linda

[Encoded binary stuff trimmed by Moderator]

A secure connection to groups.io cannot be established.
Normally, when you try to connect securely, sites will present trusted identification to prove that you are going to the right place. However, this site's identity can't be verified.

Site:

groups.io

Certificate CN:

*.groups.io

Certificate Authority:

Gandi Standard SSL CA 2

Certificate Validity:

Not Before: Aug 13 00:00:00 2018 GMT
Not After: Sep 9 23:59:59 2020 GMT

Certificate Chain:

-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----

<snip>

-----END CERTIFICATE-----

-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----

<snip again>

-----END CERTIFICATE-----

-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----

<snip a third time>

-----END CERTIFICATE-----

-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----

<snip a 4th time>

-----END CERTIFICATE-----

Bruce Bowman

On Sat, May 30, 2020 at 04:25 PM, Linda Prain wrote:
I have a member of our group that was able to get to our site yesterday, and now today is getting this certificate error.  Does anyone have any insight into this?
Linda -- TLS certificate validation will fail on older computers when they boot up with a dead CMOS battery.

Have her check her system time and reset it if inaccurate.

Certificate Validity:

Not Before: Aug 13 00:00:00 2018 GMT
Not After: Sep 9 23:59:59 2020 GMT

This is a big clue right here.

Check out the new groups.io Help Center and groups.io Owners Manual

Linda Prain

Thank you so much for responding.  I checked with the user, and she is getting this message on all devices.  Computer, ipad and phone.  Time/Date settings on all devices are accurate.  I'm going to check in with her later and see what else we can do to try and resolve.

~ Linda

On Sat, May 30, 2020 at 08:02 PM, Linda Prain wrote:
I checked with the user, and she is getting this message on all devices.  Computer, ipad and phone.
Mark posted some additional info a bit ago, https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/25150  Have them check the links he posted for details.

Linda Prain

Thanks everyone for your help and advise.  The user was able to resolve the issue.  It turns out the setup some sort of personal firewall that was impacting their ability to get to the site.

Thank you again for all your responses.  ~ LInda

Yvette Money

I had a member contact me with a similar issue today and she sent me this info:

Hi Yvette:

I use Safari 11.1.2 and it is upgraded
I also have Firefox 76.0.1 which I don’t use
I’m on a Mac Laptop 10.11.6

I use Safari primarily.  When I get an attachment in Groups.io and click on it, this is what I get.

First I get:

I looked at the link that Mark posted that Duane spoke of but do not understand what I should tell my member to do.  I did ask her to check if the browser was up-to-date but that was the only thing I could think of.  Hopefully, the photo that she sent me will give you some idea of what I can tell her to do.

Thanks,
--
Yvette in Ontario

Duane