Topics

locked Upcoming Event: Group Managers Forum subscription reminder #admin - Fri, 05/01/2020 #admin #cal-reminder

GroupManagersForum@groups.io Calendar <GroupManagersForum@...>

Reminder: Group Managers Forum subscription reminder #admin

When: Friday, 1 May 2020

View Event

This is your monthly subscription reminder for the Group Managers Forum. We are glad you joined our group.

  • Our GMF Group's web resources are open and public. Our Messages archives and Wiki are viewable and searchable by non-members. GMF message archives are indexed by major search engines. Unfortunately, due to Groups.io restrictions, you must be a member of GMF and logged in to access our Files and Photos sections.

  • We expect members to post and act responsibly. Please respect your fellow members' time and attention: strive to be clear, concise and courteous. Our subject matter naturally includes matters of opinion; if you happen to disagree with another member please do so without being rude. Personal attacks are not allowed. Solicitations are off topic and will be deleted without comment. Listing your groups in your signature is perfectly acceptable, but just make sure there's also on-topic content in your post.

  • Attachments are allowed and the judicious use of screen shots and other illustrations is encouraged!

  • All messages sent to GMF are moderated. This is done to avoid malicious attachments, spam, off-topic messages, and messages from spoofed or compromised mail accounts. Despite these measures, be aware that the bad guys are clever so there's no guarantee that we'll always succeed; you are encouraged to be vigilant against any and all threats arriving via email. Your GMF moderators make no guarantees regarding the safety of emails arriving from this or any other Groups.io address.

  • We are always looking for suggestions from our members to make this group better for all. Feel free to address any questions, comments, or concerns directly to the group moderators via email to GroupManagersForum+owner@groups.io.

GMF Mission Statement:

We strive to be a resource of the highest quality for owners and moderators of Groups.io groups. We allow as much information as possible from our group to be accessed by visitors! Would you like to be a better Groups.io group owner and/or moderator? Would you like to see even more improvements in Groups.io groups? We discuss our experiences as both group owners and moderators, share ideas for promoting and customizing the content areas, and offer various techniques for managing groups.

To send a message to the members of this group, simply send email to GroupManagersForum@groups.io.

GMF is at times very busy. To substantially cut down on the email clutter see Subscription Options. In particular, Following Only, First Message Also, and Auto Follow Replies work well together to focus only on topics of interest to you.

We thank you for your interest and for your contributions.

Shal, Founder & Owner
David, Owner
Duane, Owner
Bruce, Moderator
Frances, Moderator
Latest revision: 2018-10-31

Michael Pavan

On May 1, 2020, at 2:59 AM, GroupManagersForum@groups.io Calendar <GroupManagersForum@groups.io> wrote:

[GMF] Upcoming Event: Group Managers Forum subscription reminder #admin - Fri, 05/01/2020 #cal-reminder
Is there a way to turn off the annoying 'prefixes' to Calendar reminders, other than moderating #cal hashtags or all messages?

The 'prefix' "Upcoming Event: " is ridiculous.
Who sets up a reminder for a Past Event? I don't believe the Calendar can even be set to send it.

A reminder that is a Subscription Reminder technically may be a 'computer event', but is certainly not in 'Real Life'.

If the Event is occurring now, an optional prefix of NOW: seems reasonable (and short).

These and other automatic prefixes are a relatively new 'enhancement', but are more 'Subject line bloat' than anything else.

A switch to enable (or not) prefixes would allow only those that want them to have them.

Duane

On Fri, May 1, 2020 at 01:22 PM, Michael Pavan wrote:
Is there a way to turn off the annoying 'prefixes' to Calendar reminders, other than moderating #cal hashtags or all messages?
No.

Michael,

Is there a way to turn off the annoying 'prefixes' to Calendar
reminders, other than moderating #cal hashtags or all messages?
Not on /reminders/, but there is the "Send Notice To Group When Event Happens" checkbox. It doesn't have such a prefix. But it also can't be scheduled in advance of the event. Perfect for my use case, maybe not for yours.

You may have noticed that GMF has been sending one of each for the last several months. That resulted from my attempt to switch from using a reminder to using the notice (the notice checkbox didn't exist when I first set up this event, nor did the subject prefix). Alas there was a bug at that time and deleting the Reminder did not stop it from being sent. That bug has since been fixed, but I wasn't able get Mark's attention long enough to evict the "ghost" reminder from wherever it is lodged.

I wish I had faith that deleting the event would kill the ghost, but I don't.

Michael Pavan

Shal,

On May 2, 2020, at 2:16 AM, Shal Farley <@Shal> wrote:
You may have noticed that GMF has been sending one of each for the last several months.
Actually 2 are sent, 1 with the 'prefix' "Upcoming Event:, and 1 without.

That resulted from my attempt to switch from using a reminder to using the notice (the notice checkbox didn't exist when I first set up this event, nor did the subject prefix). Alas there was a bug at that time and deleting the Reminder did not stop it from being sent. That bug has since been fixed, but I wasn't able get Mark's attention long enough to evict the "ghost" reminder from wherever it is lodged.

I wish I had faith that deleting the event would kill the ghost, but I don't.
Is the 'ghost' one of them?
Which one?

The 'prefix' "Upcoming Event: " is still ridiculous and essentially meaningless.

Michael

Andy Wedge

On Sat, May 2, 2020 at 07:17 AM, Shal Farley wrote:
I wish I had faith that deleting the event would kill the ghost, but I don't.
In June last year I reported a problem to Mark (ticket 9168) where reminders were being issued for calendar events that did not show reminders were defined. Mark deleted the ghost reminders and said he was working to fix the bug. Perhaps it's work in progress :-)

Andy

Andy Wedge

On Sun, May 3, 2020 at 07:31 AM, Michael Pavan wrote:

The 'prefix' "Upcoming Event: " is still ridiculous and essentially meaningless.
Agreed.  These reminders already have the #cal-reminder hashtag so this is really unnecessary.

Andy

Michael,

Actually 2 are sent, 1 with the 'prefix' "Upcoming Event:, and 1
without.
Correct. One reminder, one notice.

Is the 'ghost' one of them?
Which one?
The one that has the Upcoming Event prefix is the "ghost". I didn't like that prefix (it didn't seem to me to fit with the body of the message) so I removed the reminder from the event. But it continues to be sent.

The 'prefix' "Upcoming Event: " is still ridiculous and essentially
meaningless.
Its only excuse is that it is a clue that the event is not happening now, that this email message is a reminder of an upcoming event. That distinguishes it from the notice which is sent at the scheduled start time of the event.

That said, I never thought it was needed. I agree with Andy that the #cal-reminder hashtag is sufficient to let the members know that this is a reminder and not the start of the event.