Topics

Merging one parent group into another #integration #howto #merge

Lara Radysh

Is it possible to merge a parent group (lets call it A) into our parent group (lets call it B)?  Both parent groups also contain subgroups. Can we take parent group A and make it a subgroup in parent group B transferring all its files and messages and contacts with it?
I am an owner of both groups.
Any advice greatly appreciated!

Duane

On Tue, Apr 7, 2020 at 01:15 PM, <communications@...> wrote:
Is it possible to merge a parent group (lets call it A) into our parent group (lets call it B)?
In a word, No.  There's no merging (or splitting) of (sub)groups on GIO that can be done programmatically.  You'd have to do everything manually.  It's been suggested before (check on the beta group), but either isn't a high priority or won't be done.

Lara Radysh

Thought so. That is a bummer. This means I have to re create the group and subgroups under parent B group and then send new invitations to everyone to join again?
Folders is easy to create and move. What about messages that have already been posted? Anyway to move those? Or create links to those?

Thank you so much for your speedy reply!

Bruce Bowman

On Tue, Apr 7, 2020 at 02:55 PM, <communications@...> wrote:
This means I have to re create the group and subgroups under parent B group and then send new invitations to everyone to join again?
Yes.

Folders is easy to create and move. What about messages that have already been posted? Anyway to move those?
I'm afraid not.

Or create links to those?
I'm not sure what you might mean by this.

Lara Radysh

I guess I was just hoping that somehow I could find a way to preserve/migrate message from the old group into the new one, perhaps by linking to the old group messages? I have a feeling the answer is no...just a shot in the dark.

Thank you!

Duane

On Tue, Apr 7, 2020 at 01:55 PM, <communications@...> wrote:
What about messages that have already been posted? Anyway to move those? Or create links to those?
If you're not deleting the second group, you could use the hyperlinks on messages (or topics) to post links to them.  People would need to be members of that group to access them unless you have public archives.  May be more trouble than it's worth though.

On Tue, Apr 7, 2020 at 03:05 PM, <communications@...> wrote:
I guess I was just hoping that somehow I could find a way to preserve/migrate message from the old group into the new one, perhaps by linking to the old group messages?
You can export the messages in mbox format. See the "export group data" button at the top of your Settings page. After opening the resulting file in a compatible mail client (e.g.: Apple Mail or Mozilla Thunderbird), you can then print the messages to a PDF document and put that in the target group's files area. See https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/Moving-to-Groups.io#Uploading-a-message-archive for some slightly outdated information about this.

I did that for several groups that I wanted to help migrate from Yahoo but whose owners were unwilling to give me sufficient permissions to do it the "right" way. It was okay for archival purposes (I guess), but in practice no one seems to have subsequently bothered to download those files, much less use them for anything.

Hope this helps,
Bruce