member profile

rsw58@...

I need to be able to track member's country. Is there a way to include an individual's country in their member profile and then be able to get statistics on this data for all members?

Frances

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 04:47 PM, <rsw58@...> wrote:
I need to be able to track member's country. Is there a way to include an individual's country in their member profile and then be able to get statistics on this data for all members?
Not that I know of. You could poll people and ask. But you would just get a list of country names and numbers and not all will reply.
Or just ask them to reply to a thread about country of residence.

If you are just starting out, you can ask that in a pending subscription notice.

GMF Wiki: (unofficial) Help for members (and would-be members) and group managers
and
Official Help

Chris Jones

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 08:47 PM, <rsw58@...> wrote:
I need to be able to track member's country
Is that need or really would like to... ?

I'd be interested in the reasoning.

For myself I'd be more interested in knowing who some posters are, given that many Display Names provide no clue and the posts themselves are unsigned.

Chris

Gilbert Coville

Assuming that you have a way of finding out their country (such as asking them to tell you, or knowing it before they become members, etc.), you could keep track of it in each member’s Notes section.

In the members list, double click a member and then choose the “Notes” tab. Then, you could put something like “country: us” or “country: uk”.

Once all your member notes are in place, you can then search on something like “country: us” and the members with that string in their note will be displayed. If you need to see the country of all the members, that’s a bit harder. You can do an Export Group Data and select just Member List, and you’ll get a json file with all the member data in it, including the Member Notes. You’ll be on your own to parse it and get your statistics.

Gilbert

On Mar 24, 2020, at 1:36 PM, rsw58@georgetown.edu wrote:

I need to be able to track member's country. Is there a way to include an individual's country in their member profile and then be able to get statistics on this data for all members?

HTP

You can set up a membership roster in a Database.

Need to have each member give you the information.  Can then sort by name, state, whatever.

Shubha Bala <shubha.bala@...>

I have a similar need, but with job title and organization (this is a need for reporting to funders).

Using the screening method, is there a way to automatically store and find responses to their screening questions?  Or would I have to manually retype it somewhere?  https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/8155

Using the database method, is "membership roster" a database function that would automatically populate, and then I just have to add the additional fields?  Or do I have to re-enter every member into the database?

Bruce Bowman

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 10:07 AM, Shubha Bala wrote:
I have a similar need, but with job title and organization (this is a need for reporting to funders).

Using the screening method, is there a way to automatically store and find responses to their screening questions?  Or would I have to manually retype it somewhere?  https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/8155
If you're using the Pending Subscription notice as a questionnaire, the emailed response should come back to the group +owner address and will be stored in that subscriber's "+owner messages" (see button found at the top of his member record).

If all you need is to be able to find that info, this may serve your purpose. If you need to collate all such subscriber's info so it's indexed and searchable and can be neatly presented you'll have to manually transfer it into a database table or an Excel spreadsheet or something like that.

Using the database method, is "membership roster" a database function that would automatically populate, and then I just have to add the additional fields?  Or do I have to re-enter every member into the database?
You could export the member list as a CSV file, which could subsequently be imported into a database table (or Excel). This would at least give you the data entries that already exist in the member list, without having to type them all in by hand.

See https://groups.io/helpcenter/ownersmanual/1/exporting-or-downloading-your-group-s-data/downloading-your-group-s-member-list and https://groups.io/helpcenter/membersmanual/1/working-with-databases/importing-a-json-or-csv-file

The columns in the destination database would need to be carefully defined to make this work cleanly. If you develop a functional template for this purpose, please share it with us.

Check out the new groups.io Help Center and groups.io Owners Manual