Topics

cost for one month?

Tobie Hoffman

Is it possible to pay for one month of Premium for 20$ and then go back to Basic membership.

Bruce Bowman

On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 09:23 PM, Tobie Hoffman wrote:
Is it possible to pay for one month of Premium for 20$ and then go back to Basic membership.
Sure. Go to Admin>Upgrade, click the "View/Change Plan" button, and select "Premium for One Month" on the resulting page.

After one month your group will automatically revert to Basic; at that point you will lose all Premium features. Please be advised that if you're doing this in order to create subgroups they will also be deleted when your payment runs out.

Ken Schweizer

Bruce,

If I do this to support GROUPS.IO I would prefer that the promotion and demotion would not be noticeable by the group. Will it be unnoticeable?

Thanks,

Ken

"And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book." God

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 12:14 AM, Ken Schweizer wrote:
If I do this to support GROUPS.IO I would prefer that the promotion and demotion would not be noticeable by the group. Will it be unnoticeable?
That's a very good question.

I suggest looking at the list of Premium features at the Pricing page (https://groups.io/static/pricing). If you refrain from using any of these extra functions it seems unlikely that your subscribers would notice. Mainly, this means don't Direct Add anybody, don't request any RSVPs for calendar events, nor set up a Stripe account for donations.

You will also see a few extra options available in your group Settings, leave them at their defaults.

Finally, check to see if you have any database tables with columns of type Address...the availability of map view might tip someone off.

Hope this helps,

On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 11:27 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
don't request any RSVPs for calendar events
If members are allowed to create events, then it would be best to moderate the hashtags for #cal-xxxx so you can make sure they haven't asked for RSVPs while the upgrade is in effect.  (Mine are already moderated to prevent 'abuse' of the calendar system.)

Finally, check to see if you have any database tables with columns of type Address...the availability of map view might tip someone off.
As far as I can tell, the map view is available on a basic group, but cannot be set as the default.  There's a button/link included in the address field for [Map], so can only be used for one address at a time.

I got the impression the OP is looking for a way for basic groups to “contribute” to GIO, not obtain features. I have thought about this also.
In a similar vein would others be interested in a “Basic +” plan at a lower monthly rate with additional storage and/or a limited number of sub groups or the Direct Add feature?

Patti

Duane

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 10:53 AM, Patti Woodbury wrote:
I got the impression the OP is looking for a way for basic groups to “contribute” to GIO, not obtain features.
That's what many of us want.  At present, upgrading to Premium for a month once in awhile is the only way to do it.  (I don't use the extra features while in premium mode.)

I know Mark has considered other 'plans', but has decided to go with what's on the pricing page for the time being.  That was part of his decision about removing subgroups from Basic and adding storage for Premium.  That's not to say that there will never be other levels, but I don't see it happening any time soon.

Ken Schweizer

In a similar vein would others be interested in a “Basic +”

I wouldn't be interested, but I am interested in a support GIO ability.

Ken

“You do what you can for as long as you can, and when you finally can’t, you do the next best thing. You back up but you don’t give up.” ―Chuck Yeager