subscriibe #membership #addmembers #customize

Christina Gray

Is there any way to prevent people from subscribing to our group. In other words, block this email, which is on the main page.

Subscribe: hfjobsupport+subscribe@groups.io

We ask people in our job support group to request an invitation so we know they've attended a meeting and they are a valid subscriber.  They don't always do that so I'd love to block this email to force the request to join.

Thank you!

Christina

Duane

On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 01:30 PM, Christina Gray wrote:
Is there any way to prevent people from subscribing to our group.
Not unless you have an Enterprise group.  Otherwise all you can do is ignore their requests to join or reject them.

Christina,

We ask people in our job support group to request an invitation so we
know they've attended a meeting and they are a valid subscriber.
You can set a Pending Subscription notice in the Member Notices tab of your group's Settings page. That will be sent to the applicant when the person requests membership in your group (either the home page button or the +subscribe email address). You can use this message to reiterate your request for information prior to approval.

Or provide a unique email address at meetings - then issue an invite after a request is received via that unique address (one that doesn’t show on your description page).

Or get email addresses at the meetings, issue invitations and ignore all other requests.

Patti

Mdivine

I have pending msg set up to get additional info. And know how to send that.

If a member shows as an NC, does sending the send confirmation message do anything to override that?
or does it confirm them manually even if they show NC. Not sure what that does?

Do I need to wait until the NC disappears for them to get pending message?

not sure what they see with NC on their name

Bruce Bowman

On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 11:04 AM, Mdivine wrote:
If a member shows as an NC, does sending the send confirmation message do anything to override that?
or does it confirm them manually even if they show NC. Not sure what that does?
This is necessary for new groups.io accounts, so as to demonstrate that they own the email address that they subscribed with. Groups.io will not send group emails to an address that is not confirmed. See https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/Status-Badges-in-the-Members-List for further information.

You can resend confirmation emails until the cows come home, but they will remain in NC status until someone on the other end responds to it.

Do I need to wait until the NC disappears for them to get pending message?
No. The pending message goes out immediately; and it's entirely possible for you to have already approved someone but the account still remain in NC.

Please also note that the Pending Subscription notice is sent only to those who apply to join your group, not to people you invite.

not sure what they see with NC on their name
-- Unless you invited them, your Pending Subscription notice should have already been sent.
-- If you've already approved them (they're not on the Pending list), then they should have been sent the Welcome notice.
-- They won't get any regular group messages until they respond to the confirmation email.

An example of the confirmation email can be found in the files area here in GMF.

Hope this helps,
Bruce

Mdivine

It does help.
So if I hit the send confirmation message at bottom of membership, is it same as confirmation from groups.io and remind them and provide avenue to confirm their email  or is it just confirming they are in our group?

Bruce Bowman

On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 12:11 PM, Mdivine wrote:
So if I hit the send confirmation message at bottom of membership, is it same as confirmation from groups.io and remind them and provide avenue to confirm their email  or is it just confirming they are in our group?
If you open that person's user record and select the Send Confirmation Email button, it will send another one. This can be handy if the original was lost or diverted to spam or something of that nature. It will not confirm the account for him, just send another notice.

Premium groups can confirm members manually, but I've never used that function, despite the fact that I have a Premium group. I just use Direct Add instead (which also bypasses the confirmation process).

Mdivine

Excellent. Have had pretty good compliance with process but have a few. Will try to jiggle em.