Topics

Attachments question #attachments

CoProS Moderator

Hello,
I'm finding that certain attachments, in this case, a jpeg in someone's signature keeps getting dumped into the photos section of our group.  Is there a way to prevent that from happening other than not allowing attachments?  Is it because it's a raw jpeg file?  Other members have attached xls and pdf files and they stay with the email.
I realize that you can use HTML code to create a path to a graphic but I can't expect a member to necessarily do that on their own.
Any guidance is appreciated.

Peter Keenan
pkeenan@...
CoProS Daily Moderator

Duane

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 03:17 PM, CoProS Moderator wrote:
I'm finding that certain attachments, in this case, a jpeg in someone's signature keeps getting dumped into the photos section of our group.  Is there a way to prevent that from happening other than not allowing attachments?  Is it because it's a raw jpeg file?  Other members have attached xls and pdf files and they stay with the email.
No.  That's been a problem for a long time.  Several suggestions have been made, but no change yet.

The files aren't actually stored with the message, they're also stored separately, there's just not an easy way to get to it.

Emailed Photos is an index of attached image files, kinda like the Photostream of Yahoo Groups. It's not an album per se, but just another way to access/look at image attachments.

If you delete the images appearing in Emailed Photos, the attachments are removed, leaving the original message text behind without those attachments. You can also delete them from Admin>Upgrade>View Attachments, but the process is more cumbersome.

You can disable Photos altogether in your group settings. This will keep the Emailed Photos folder from showing up, along with every other photo album. However, photos arriving via email are still stored online, as attachments. This is necessary so those subscribers who are on No Email or Summary (or Digest, for that matter) can subsequently get them (along with the corresponding message) via the web interface.

If you don't want image attachments at all, but still want subscribers to be able to send other kinds of attachments, you can set your group to Moderate messages with attachments, and manually reject any incoming posts containing images. Or in Peter's case, you could put the subscriber with the offending sig line on moderation, and either edit out the image each time, or simply reject his messages until he complies with your policy.

I'm not aware of any way to *automatically* reject image attachments while allowing attachments of other file types, nor does there seem to be a way to allow the group to have both attachments and photo albums without the potential for an incoming image attachment re-creating the Emailed Photos folder.

Hope this helps,
Bruce