Group with new name but still old group's address #changing #groupname

Duane

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 10:20 AM, Marina wrote:
That's what happened when I tried to change the group address.
I think we've figured out what happened.  Most likely someone had previously created a group using the name that Marina wants to use, then deleted it without changing the name to some gibberish nonsense.  It shows the "That address has already been taken." error when trying to create it, even though we can't get to the group.  I'm going to add to my request on beta that when this happens, the error be "That address is not available."

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 10:20 AM, Marina wrote:
That's what happened when I tried to change the group address.
Changing the group title wasn't a problem.
Have you tried going to the groupname that you're trying to use?  https://groups.io/g/NameOfGroup (using the real name of course)  That should tell you if it's use or an alias for another group.

I'll post a suggestion
on beta that this be improved.
Many thanks, Duane!
Posted the suggestion on beta, https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/better_error_when_renaming_a/71374168

Marina

"That address has already been taken."
Correction.  The above happens if creating a new group.  When trying to
change the name to an existing group, it becomes "Cannot contain spaces,
pluses, periods, or underscores." - not very helpful.

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 08:37 AM, Duane wrote:
"That address has already been taken."
Correction.  The above happens if creating a new group.  When trying to change the name to an existing group, it becomes "Cannot contain spaces, pluses, periods, or underscores." - not very helpful.  I'll post a suggestion on beta that this be improved.

On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 07:22 AM, Marina wrote:
Every time I attempt to change the group address to match the new title, after clicking on Update I am brought back to the Group Email Address space, which is highlighted in red as if there was some error.
What does it say just under the red box?  I've tried a couple of experiments and it always gives a clue there - "That address has already been taken." or "That address is not valid."

Marina

Are you by any chance trying to use an accented character?
No.
:-(

Marina

Duane

On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 07:22 AM, Marina wrote:
Every time I attempt to change the group address to match the new title, after clicking on Update I am brought back to the Group Email Address space, which is highlighted in red as if there was some error.

The title I chose is made up of 5 characters with no spaces, pluses, periods, or underscores. Bruce's suggestion that it was already taken is a possibility, but it seems a bit unlikely to me as the title is in Italian.
Are you by any chance trying to use an accented character?  I haven't seen anything saying those wouldn't be allowed, but it's the only other explanation I can think of.  It makes sense that the group name couldn't have any character that can't be used in a web address.

Marina

Do you get any error message(s)?  Are you scrolling to the bottom to click
Update Group?
Yes, I scroll down the page and click on Update.
The only elements I managed to update in this way were the Group title and the Subject-tag.
Every time I attempt to change the group address to match the new title, after clicking on Update I am brought back to the Group Email Address space, which is highlighted in red as if there was some error.

The title I chose is made up of 5 characters with no spaces, pluses, periods, or underscores. Bruce's suggestion that it was already taken is a possibility, but it seems a bit unlikely to me as the title is in Italian.

I have now tried to revert to the original group title (the one matching the original address), but I got the message:
"Sorry, this group does not exist".

So, apparently, I am stuck with a new title and an old address.

Marina

Bruce Bowman

On Sat, Feb 15, 2020 at 11:43 AM, Marina wrote:
I recently renamed my test group (and subject tag, accordingly), but I couldn't change the group's address to reflect the new name/title. The system does not accept the change, although my group name does not contain spaces, pluses, periods, or underscores.
If the name is otherwise legitimate, the most likely scenario is that name was already taken. Many groups do not appear in the group directory, so you can't go by that.

Also, the group name is limited to 32 characters (ref: https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/16085).

So now I have a group with a new name and the old group's address.
The email address IS the name...although you may have to change some of the other stuff you've updated back the way they were.

On Sat, Feb 15, 2020 at 10:43 AM, Marina wrote:
The system does not accept the change, although my group name does not contain spaces, pluses, periods, or underscores.
Do you get any error message(s)?  Are you scrolling to the bottom to click Update Group?

Marina

Before moving over my YG group about a year ago, I set up a test group which I still use for that purpose.
I recently renamed my test group (and subject tag, accordingly), but I couldn't change the group's address to reflect the new name/title. The system does not accept the change, although my group name does not contain spaces, pluses, periods, or underscores.
So now I have a group with a new name and the old group's address.

Any suggestions?

Marina