Topics

Prevent members deleting their messages #settings

Amos

I just noticed that a member of a group I own deleted their own message, even though I have the ability to edit disabled. I cannot find any setting to prevent members deleting their own messages. If I’m right that such a feature doesn’t exist, I’d like to request it.

Duane

On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 02:38 AM, Amos wrote:
I cannot find any setting to prevent members deleting their own messages.
There isn't one (and probably never will be.)  This subject has come up several times in the past 5 years and nothing has changed.

If I’m right that such a feature doesn’t exist, I’d like to request it.
GMF is a user-to-user group, no GIO management here.  All suggestions/requests need to be posted on the beta group, the official suggestion box for the site.

Samuel Murray

On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 10:19 AM, Duane wrote:
On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 02:38 AM, Amos wrote:
I cannot find any setting to prevent members deleting their own messages.
There isn't one (and probably never will be.)  This subject has come up several times in the past 5 years and nothing has changed.
Do you know if it's possible for moderators to be notified when a user deletes a message?

Samuel

Duane

On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 04:23 AM, Samuel Murray wrote:
Do you know if it's possible for moderators to be notified when a user deletes a message?
There's no notification option, but you can look for "Deleted message" in the Activity log.

Rubens

Am| I cannot find any setting to prevent
| members deleting their own messages.

Thankfully not.

In my opinion, it would be absurd
for a user not to be able to delete
their own messages.

[ ] Rubens

.

W David Samuelsen

Is there a way owner or moderator can delete an offensive or improper (possibly a violation of GDPR) post?

David Samuelsen

Glenn Glazer

On 2/13/2020 07:20, W David Samuelsen wrote:
Is there a way owner or moderator can delete an offensive or improper (possibly a violation of GDPR) post?

David Samuelsen

You can delete it from the messages archive. There is no way to remove it from people's inboxes.

Best,

Glenn

Nivard Ovington

Hi David

If you go to your group, select any message posted, at the foot of it is More, various options, one being delete message

Nivard Ovington in Cornwall (UK)

On 13/02/2020 15:20, W David Samuelsen wrote:
Is there a way owner or moderator can delete an offensive or improper (possibly a violation of GDPR) post?
David Samuelsen

Chris Jones

On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 03:42 PM, W David Samuelsen wrote:
Is there a way owner or moderator can delete an offensive or improper (possibly a violation of GDPR) post?
Yes. To delete an inappropriate message click on the "More" hamburger under the message on the web interface, and select Delete Message. To delete an entire topic use the drop - down arrow beside the date (in Topic view, obvs) and select Delete Topic.

On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 09:52 AM, Chris Jones wrote:
To delete an entire topic use the drop - down arrow beside the date (in Topic view, obvs) and select Delete Topic.
You can also do this by selecting Edit Topic from the More menu while looking at the message, then clicking Delete Topic.