What is 'canny'? #question

Epicatt2

Gentle GMF Members,

Keep seeing references for things mentioned on 'canny'.

What please is this 'canny'? I have searched around on GIO a few times but w/o any results that offer a definition or explanation of/for it.

Be that as it may, I may wind up somehow chagrinned when I finally find out what 'canny' is, but enquiring minds and all that . . . .

TIA

Paul M.
CostaRicaLiving
https: //groups.io/g/CostaRicaLiving
==

Duane

On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 06:43 PM, Epicatt2 wrote:
What please is this 'canny'?
It was an experiment to test a feature request system, https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/68223523  It's been discontinued and replaced with the new charter for the beta group, https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/69937945

Glenn Glazer

On 2/10/2020 16:50, Duane wrote:
On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 06:43 PM, Epicatt2 wrote:
What please is this 'canny'?
It was an experiment to test a feature request system, https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/68223523  It's been discontinued and replaced with the new charter for the beta group, https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/69937945

Duane

So I guess we are now... wait for it...lowers shades...uncanny.

YEAH!

Best,

Glenn

--
PG&E Delenda Est

Jack - GM4COX

Interesting Paul - I recognised the word right away, but out of context. It's an old 'Scottish' word as HERE . And there is a modification CA CANNY .(take it easy) and AWFY CANNY (timid, unsure) ......and other derivatives. All in use today. Thought you might be interested.

Cheers

Jack(:>)

ANGUS and MORAY List Owner

'AWFY CANNY' does not imply timidity at all. Canny means cautious, careful, prudent, astute, skilful, frugal, sparing, thrifty, steady and so on. Ca' canny means 'go carefully' or 'slow down'; not quite the same as 'take it easy'. Someone who is awfy canny is very careful indeed, isn't about to be spend money unwisely or be scammed or fooled or cheated or taken for a ride.

If I wanted to describe someone in Scots as timid, I would never use the word canny. I might say timmerous.

Anne
(Born, brought up and lived all my life in Scotland, and just about avoided having the Scots leid educated out of me)

Epicatt2

Thanks everyone who replied to my question . . .

I knew the usual meanings of canny but on here it was being used as a noun rather than an adjective.

That is what piqued my curiosity.

Cheers!

Paul M.
==