Anyone know how to access Yahoo Groups to delet my old groups or get my member list to move them over?

List-owner <cristie@...>

> Anyone know how to access Yahoo Groups to delet my old groups or get my member list to move them over?
> Cristie

Do you really want to delete your group? If it remains there and is set to moderate all posts, it will serve as a way to catch people looking to join and let you redirect them to your new group.

Just a thought.

Dano

[Mod note: unfortunately Yahoo has (mostly) dismantled message moderation in Yahoo Groups.]

Cristie,

Anyone know how to access Yahoo Groups to delet my old groups or get
my member list to move them over?
See this page:
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/Moving-to-Groups.io#How-do-I-download-my-Yahoo-Group27s-Members-list3F

Haudy Kazemi

Leave the group open, set everyone to moderate all posts, and if someone tries to post, tell them you are not allowing more posting at the old group and they need to join the new group over at location X. Add a note to the group home page, and set the group web address to the web address of the new location. I've seen a few groups simply list the Groups.io email address. That's not as easy to use as clicking a web link that takes you directly to Groups.io where you can click Join (assuming you are already logged into Groups.io).

On Mon, Feb 3, 2020 at 12:24 AM D R Stinson <dano@...> wrote:

Do you really want to delete your group? If it remains there and is set to moderate all posts, it will serve as a way to catch people looking to join and let you redirect them to your new group.

Just a thought.

Dano

[Mod note: unfortunately Yahoo has (mostly) dismantled message moderation in Yahoo Groups.]

Terry Tegnazian

To the best of my knowledge, Yahoo has removed the ability to moderate posts. That is why I finally decided to delete the Yahoogroups I was owner of.

Best,

Terry Tegnazian

Judy F.

If I remember correctly, access the group, click on Management/Control Panel and below the banner picture (or what used to be a banner picture) you will see Delete Group.  You will need to sign in and also have authorization to delete the group.

 --

Judy F.
SW Florida - USA

Steven M

I would strongly recommend that you NOT delete your group.

there is ANOTHER option. you can simply remove ALL members from the group. That will have the same effect, but your group will still exist.

If you DELETE THE GROUP, then there will be NO proof or record that you can provide to Yahoo or anyone else that the group ever existed in the first place, or that you were the owner, or how long the group existed.

Please, to everyone here, please do NOT delete your Yahoo Group. If you do so, you diminish whatever influence you may currently have over Yahoo, and thereby you diminish the influence of ALL of us, as a group of community organizers and Yahoo Group Owner. thanks

On Tue, Feb 4, 2020 at 03:03 AM, Steven M wrote:

I would strongly recommend that you NOT delete your group.

If you DELETE THE GROUP, then there will be NO proof or record that you can provide to Yahoo or anyone else that the group ever existed in the first place, or that you were the owner, or how long the group existed.
There is a message history on the new groups.io homepage. It shows how long your group existed and when it was founded.

Please, to everyone here, please do NOT delete your Yahoo Group. If you do so, you diminish whatever influence you may currently have over Yahoo, and thereby you diminish the influence of ALL of us, as a group of community organizers and Yahoo Group Owner. thanks
What "influence over yahoo" do you mean? Yahoo exercised an enormous influence over group owners and members by tracking them for commercial purposes.

Victoria

Epicatt2

On Mon, Feb 3, 2020 at 09:03 PM, Steven M wrote:

Please, to everyone here, please do NOT delete your Yahoo Group. If you do so,
you diminish whatever influence you may currently have over Yahoo . . . .
== ==
I deleted my YGroups (8 of 'em) the first week of December and have not had any repercussions whatsoever from Yahoo. No strange invites, no alerts, no nothing.

The only thing we've seen in my migrated group to GIO are some of those bogus join requests, and now that we know what they look like we can just delete them.

Paul M.
CostaRicaLiving
https: //groups.io/g/CostaRicaLiving
==

Eric Johnson <Toller67@...>

I deleted my group. The message traffic continued to use the yahoo address though it came through groups.io. . . .don't know how  I'm told that Yahoo know of this phenomena and that Yahoo hopes to drop the whole mess in the very near future.

Rubens

SM| please do NOT delete your Yahoo Group.
| If you do so, you diminish whatever
| influence you may currently have over
| Yahoo, and thereby you diminish the
| influence of ALL of us, as a group of
| community organizers and Yahoo Group
| Owner.

We all are only customers and we have
*NO* influence at all over Yahoo.

Yahoo don't care about me, so I don't
care about Yahoo neither. RiP!

[ ] Rubens

.

Eric,

I deleted my group. The message traffic continued to use the yahoo address though it came through groups.io. . . .don't know how

If you mean that members post to your Groups.io group using their Yahoo Mail addresses (@ yahoo.com) that's entirely normal. There's no reason a member must change email service, unless the member wants to.

If you mean something else please explain.

I'm told that Yahoo know of this phenomena and that Yahoo hopes to drop the whole mess in the very near future.

Verizon is not going to drop Yahoo Mail any time soon - that product is fully supported (unlike Yahoo Groups).

Steven M

I agree with Shal. I would surmise that your group members all got the word to switch to group.io. so more and more people are joining up.

if you turned off the notifications alert that lets you know about a new member, then people are probably joining your new group even when you don't realize that they joined.

On Tuesday, February 4, 2020, 2:10:00 PM EST, Shal Farley <shals2nd@...> wrote:

Eric,

I deleted my group. The message traffic continued to use the yahoo address though it came through groups.io. . . .don't know how

If you mean that members post to your Groups.io group using their Yahoo Mail addresses (@ yahoo.com) that's entirely normal. There's no reason a member must change email service, unless the member wants to.

If you mean something else please explain.

I'm told that Yahoo know of this phenomena and that Yahoo hopes to drop the whole mess in the very near future.

Verizon is not going to drop Yahoo Mail any time soon - that product is fully supported (unlike Yahoo Groups).

Linda Perry

How do I change the settings in my old yahoo group to make it announcement only?  I don’t want to delete the group (but I guess I can) but I don’t want people to continue to send emails out through the group and I just received one today.

Linda Perry

Linda,

How do I change the settings in my old yahoo group to make it announcement only?

I don't believe you can.

Both the Access Control and Moderation tabs of the Control Panel have been dismantled. So you can neither set Who can post? to Moderators, nor change the group to Message Moderation.

Shal
See also YahooGroupedia, and discuss Yahoo Groups in the Yahoo Group Managers Forum.

Roger Colwell

On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 01:53 AM, Shal Farley wrote:

How do I change the settings in my old yahoo group to make it announcement only?

I don't believe you can.

Both the Access Control and Moderation tabs of the Control Panel have been dismantled. So you can neither set Who can post? to Moderators, nor change the group to Message Moderation.
The Owner and/or Moderator with sufficient permissions can prohibit everyone else from posting:
Go to Management > Manage Members > tick all the boxes in the list except Owner/Mods (yes, it's enormously tedious to have to do this one-by-one, manually, for thousands!!) > select the Actions drop-down menu (top right of member list) > choose Set Posting Privileges > from the popout menu select Override - Can't Post Messages.
--
Roger Colwell