Question is this legit?

I am getting these several times a day with different names but same speech. What is it they are supposedly doing for us if we allow whatever it is they do? I think its a scam . I have denied each name .

Comment from user:
Archiveteam.org is creating a public archive of Yahoo Groups before Yahoo permanently deletes their data after January 31. May we archive your group, please? Accept request if yes, deny if no.

Duane

On Sun, Feb 2, 2020 at 08:38 AM, Sharon Pohlman wrote:
What is it they are supposedly doing for us if we allow whatever it is they do? I think its a scam .
AT is/was a legitimate service, but the deadline has passed, so they shouldn't be sending out any more notices.  Their archive is public, so I obviously didn't allow them access to my private groups.  There's a bit more information at https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/topic/70912144

b&p

You may already know this. Archive.org is legitimate, but I am not familiar with them doing outreach. I share your feelings that "archiveTEAM" is likely questionable.

Paul (b&p)

From: "Sharon Pohlman via Groups.Io" <ceegee2006=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Date: 2/2/20 9:38 AM (GMT-05:00)

I am getting these several times a day with different names but same speech. What is it they are supposedly doing for us if we allow whatever it is they do? I think its a scam . I have denied each name .

Comment from user:
Archiveteam.org is creating a public archive of Yahoo Groups before Yahoo permanently deletes their data after January 31. May we archive your group, please? Accept request if yes, deny if no.

Haudy Kazemi

BMaverick, please also check their IRC. I linked it in the other email.

On Sun, Feb 2, 2020 at 1:49 PM BMaverick <bmaverick@...> wrote:

Sharon,

I have a request to the AT public email address to verify if the person requesting the Yahoo Mbox and content is actually legit.

WHY?  Because, opening the MBOX files from the Yahoo download, even though I was NEVER an OWNER and NEVER a MODERATOR, the email addresses are in full.  Our group was public, but emails were not shown.  The Yahoo download was NOT to the group setting.  Instead, it reflects that of an owner.

Now, should the AT come back and dis-qualify the requestor, then I know they are up to being trouble just like the thread here on  Re: strange people trying to join

The last thing we need are FALSE people representing the AT folks.

BMaverick

b&p

Thank you, Haudi. I sent an e-mail asking about the archives of a Yahoo discussion group I have been involved with for years although I have no ownership or moderator status. I APPRECIATE THE LINK!

Best regards,
Paul (b&p)

On Sun, Feb 2, 2020 at 3:31 PM Haudy Kazemi <kaze0010@...> wrote:
[...]

What I am afraid of is they are trying to glean the memberlist by reading the posts that are archived .I had this happen to 8 groups of which 7 had different email addresses and names but the same speech. If I am getting them then everyone must be. I wonder how they find us?

On Sunday, February 2, 2020, 01:49:20 PM CST, BMaverick <bmaverick@...> wrote:

Sharon,

I have a request to the AT public email address to verify if the person requesting the Yahoo Mbox and content is actually legit.

WHY?  Because, opening the MBOX files from the Yahoo download, even though I was NEVER an OWNER and NEVER a MODERATOR, the email addresses are in full.  Our group was public, but emails were not shown.  The Yahoo download was NOT to the group setting.  Instead, it reflects that of an owner.

Now, should the AT come back and dis-qualify the requestor, then I know they are up to being trouble just like the thread here on  Re: strange people trying to join

The last thing we need are FALSE people representing the AT folks.

BMaverick

Haudy Kazemi

Sharon, I advise checking the AT IRC chat link I shared in another email. Try asking your questions there as they may not have a shared mailbox but the chat would be shared. Their wiki documents many prior projects to save at-risk data. It does not look like a scammer gleaning effort.

On Sun, Feb 2, 2020, 14:00 Sharon Pohlman via Groups.Io <ceegee2006=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
What I am afraid of is they are trying to glean the memberlist by reading the posts that are archived .I had this happen to 8 groups of which 7 had different email addresses and names but the same speech. If I am getting them then everyone must be. I wonder how they find us?

[excess quote trimmed by moderator]

Steve Hayes

On 2 Feb 2020 at 14:21, Haudy Kazemi wrote:

Sharon, Duane, Paul: ArchiveTeam is a legitimate group that works with
Internet Archive, although they are separate from Internet Archive. It
looks like it is still possible to request group data, thus AT is
continuing to work on their efforts.
I asked about this earlier, but if YahooGroups are no longer allowing the
stuff to be downloaded, could these requests to join be for some other
purpose, like taking over the mailinglists that are still operating for spam?
I've accepted the requests to join up till now, but after reading this thread
will stop doing so.

--
Steve Hayes
E-mail: shayes@dunelm.org.uk

Haudy Kazemi

On Sun, Feb 2, 2020, 18:11 Steve Hayes <hayesstw@...> wrote:

I asked about this earlier, but if YahooGroups are no longer allowing the
stuff to be downloaded, could these requests to join be for some other
purpose, like taking over the mailinglists that are still operating for spam?
I've accepted the requests to join up till now, but after reading this thread
will stop doing so.

I don't see a problem here beyond the overthinking it. Yahoo IS still accepting download requests from members. They only disabled web access. They have not disabled download requests. Joining a group doesn't give anyone special power, especially if the new member is set to 'moderate all posts'.

Has anyone actually gone over to ArchiveTeam.org and asked them in their chat about any concerns? That'd be a lot better than just assuming 'something is up'. Afterall, if you don't save your data, and ArchiveTeam does not save the data, it will be lost forever when Yahoo actually cuts things off.

On Sun, Feb 2, 2020 at 09:15 PM, Haudy Kazemi wrote:
Yahoo IS still accepting download requests from members.
The big question would be, are they still processing them?  I doubt it since the cutoff has passed.  I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out that tomorrow morning (PST) all trace of any download procedure has disappeared.

Haudy Kazemi

On Sun, Feb 2, 2020 at 9:37 PM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
On Sun, Feb 2, 2020 at 09:15 PM, Haudy Kazemi wrote:
Yahoo IS still accepting download requests from members.
The big question would be, are they still processing them?  I doubt it since the cutoff has passed.  I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out that tomorrow morning (PST) all trace of any download procedure has disappeared.

I don't think the fact that the cutoff point has passed matters much. When the web interface was cut down mid-December, the actual cut happened on Monday, even though the deadline was on a Saturday. I'm guessing they will actually process all the requests added to the queue. The queue will shrink starting from the point when they remove the web page link for triggering the download procedure.

I don't see any other way for them to cleanly close things out without affecting other requests that are also in the queue. We won't really know until people starting getting back their GMD requests made before the deadline. I know some group owners and members filed GMD requests after the deadline; it remains TBD whether they get data. The request queue may be days long right now. I think there is a decent chance they'll process requests added to the queue over the weekend, and simply stop the inflow by changing the web page. Then they'll delete data when they've processed all current GMD requests in the queue.

b&p

FYI, I sent the Archive Team folks an e-mail about what they were or weren't offering. I haven't heard back. I'll post if I do - otherwise, assume not.

Paul (b&p)

On Sun, Feb 2, 2020 at 10:15 PM Haudy Kazemi <kaze0010@...> wrote:

I don't see a problem here beyond the overthinking it. Yahoo IS still accepting download requests from members. They only disabled web access. They have not disabled download requests. Joining a group doesn't give anyone special power, especially if the new member is set to 'moderate all posts'.

Has anyone actually gone over to ArchiveTeam.org and asked them in their chat about any concerns? That'd be a lot better than just assuming 'something is up'. Afterall, if you don't save your data, and ArchiveTeam does not save the data, it will be lost forever when Yahoo actually cuts things off.

[excess quote trimmed by moderator]

BMaverick

Haudy,

I've tried all 3 of their IRC chat connections with 4 different computers.  None of them found the path and all timed-out error.

Unable to connect,
Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at chat.efnet.org:9090.

This site can’t be reached
chat.efnet.org refused to connect.
(Chrome)

This page can’t be displayed
Make sure the web address http://chat.efnet.org:9090 is correct.
(Both IE and Edge)

Thus, email was the only option to use.

BMaverick

Steve,

I'm concerned about this as well.  AND mainly our group's membership.

Sure, ANYONE can cut-n-paste a help file to 'show' they are from the AT, but without real legit evidence, I'm on-hold giving anything over to anyone without a proof of identity to an organization.  Too much spoofing and scamming around these days.  Our groups had 2793 members while on Yahoo.  I just can't hand over the email address so easily to a canned request that sort of looks legit, but may be a front.

Besides, not one single method I had tried connects to their IRC link.  I find that very odd.

Now, per the canned message, they will take the PGO archive too.  This on for certain had no exposed membership emails.  For most groups, PGO wasn't a choice they took back in Oct-Dec 2019.

BMaverick

Haudy Kazemi

There is an update on

That points to

At the bottom it has a contacts section. I also cannot open the EFNet links in my web browser...but the last one works.

Page also says:
Please be patient if no one replies right away, as it may be a few hours before someone who knows the answer is online. Also, try the hackint channel if you have difficulty connecting to EFNet. (Or please try a dedicated IRC client like HexChat or mIRC as sometimes the web interface to EFNet is broken.)

That explains the web browser issues.

-Haudy

On 3 Feb 2020 at 12:18, BMaverick wrote:

Sure, ANYONE can cut-n-paste a help file to 'show' they are from the AT, but
without real legit evidence, I'm on-hold giving anything over to anyone
without a proof of identity to an organization.  Too much spoofing and
scamming around these days.  Our groups had 2793 members while on Yahoo.  I
just can't hand over the email address so easily to a canned request that sort
of looks legit, but may be a front.
I took the first one at face value and approved their membership of the
group, but when I started getting others and there were reports of strange
people trying to join groups.io, I have stopped approving them, and am
waiting to see if anyone has any more information about this project.

Besides, not one single method I had tried connects to their IRC link.  I
find that very odd.
Yes, and while the moderator can approve them by replying to an e-mail
message, how do you ban them if it turns out that they are up to no good, if
all the web pages are being deleted?

On Mon, Feb 3, 2020 at 10:06 PM Steve Hayes <hayesstw@...> wrote:
On 3 Feb 2020 at 12:18, BMaverick wrote:

> Sure, ANYONE can cut-n-paste a help file to 'show' they are from the AT, but
> without real legit evidence, I'm on-hold giving anything over to anyone
> without a proof of identity to an organization.  Too much spoofing and
> scamming around these days.  Our groups had 2793 members while on Yahoo.  I
> just can't hand over the email address so easily to a canned request that sort
> of looks legit, but may be a front.

I took the first one at face value and approved their membership of the
group, but when I started getting others and there were reports of strange
people trying to join groups.io, I have stopped approving them, and am
waiting to see if anyone has any more information about this project.

Steve, here are the proper contact pages for ArchiveTeam's Yahoo Groups effort:

It includes a web link to both their newer hackint IRC site https://webirc.hackint.org/#irc://irc.hackint.org/#archiveteam-bs and also their older EFNet IRC site http://chat.efnet.org:9090/?channels=%23archiveteam-bs

Both links are working for me right now. The EFNet links were not working for me earlier today. Sometimes web servers break.

> Besides, not one single method I had tried connects to their IRC link.  I
> find that very odd.

Yes, and while the moderator can approve them by replying to an e-mail
message, how do you ban them if it turns out that they are up to no good, if
all the web pages are being deleted?

I'm not sure what this note about deleted webpages refers to. I do see where the EFNet IRC webclient was broken earlier today. IRC does not depend on the webclient...any IRC client should be able to be used even if the webclient is broken.

Haudy Kazemi

On Mon, Feb 3, 2020 at 4:26 PM BMaverick <bmaverick@...> wrote:
Now, per the canned message, they will take the PGO archive too.  This on for certain had no exposed membership emails.  For most groups, PGO wasn't a choice they took back in Oct-Dec 2019.

Hi BMaverick

Which email address did you send to? What was the canned response?

-Haudy