Topics

Ancestry #Rootsweb mailing list being twilighted #rootsweb

I moved over here to groups.io because I was co-admin of a Lithuanian Genealogy list on Yahoo.  We're very happy with the move, and we migrated with very little in the way of problems.

It appears Rootsweb is twilighting their list service, as well.

Has anyone here successful migrated a non-Yahoo mailing here?  And in particular, Rootsweb?   The cutoff is in March, so I wouldn't be surprised to more requests in the coming weeks.

Hopefully, some of the Groups.io people will see this post.

Nivard Ovington

Hi Chris

That ship has long sailed ;-)

There are plenty of ex Rootsweb list owners here already ;-)

Nivard Ovington in Cornwall (UK)

On 17/01/2020 20:17, Chris Cowan wrote:
I moved over here to groups.io because I was co-admin of a Lithuanian Genealogy list on Yahoo.  We're very happy with the move, and we migrated with very little in the way of problems.
It appears Rootsweb is twilighting their list service, as well.
Has anyone here successful migrated a non-Yahoo mailing here?  And in particular, Rootsweb?   The cutoff is in March, so I wouldn't be surprised to more requests in the coming weeks.
Hopefully, some of the Groups.io people will see this post.

Unfortunately, I am not an admin for the list I want to see migrated.

I'm hoping that I can point them to Rootsweb specific instructions, so that the archives are maintained.

Bruce Bowman

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 04:07 PM, Chris Cowan wrote:
I'm hoping that I can point them to Rootsweb specific instructions, so that the archives are maintained.
Chris -- There are no Rootsweb-specific instructions. What we have is at https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/Moving-to-Groups.io. To the best of our knowledge, the message archives can be uploaded; but only if you can get it in mboxrd format, for the price of $220 (one year of Premium). Files and Photos and other such content would have to be uploaded manually.

I know you are not the admin of the group, but it will remain difficult to provide further advice without detailed information on what kind of export is possible on the Rootsweb side.

Susie Zada

If you search for groups in group.io for ROOTSWEB there are a number.  Most List Owners are adding the word ROOTSWEB somewhere in their group description.

Rootsweb does not allow transfer of archives (messages), however there is a button for downloading subscribers to a CSV file for a bulk Invite - works really well.

Rootsweb have just implemented an update on Rootsweb Mailing Lists where a NEW URL can be added - I've added my groups.io Group URL to all of mine.

Rootsweb are keeping their archives searchable but there will be no postings / activity from 2 March this year.

Regards ... Susie Zada

--
Regards ... Susie Zada
from Geelong, Victoria, Australia

Duane

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 02:52 PM, Chris Cowan wrote:
Hopefully, some of the Groups.io people will see this post.
No, they won't.  This is a user-to-user group and no one from GIO management monitors it.

As was mentioned, there are several Rootsweb groups already setting up shop here, as we've learned from some previous questions.  There is no simple transfer process to do it.  Maybe a new group - RootswebClosing (or similar) - should be set up ere in GIO, (and announced on Rootsweb if possible), for those that will be doing this.  Folks that are interested could share information that's learned along the way, maybe making it easier for others.

Search button at the top of Messages list

Nivard Ovington

Hi Chris

As has been said, Rootsweb do not allow the archives to be downloaded

But the transmission is so easy, frankly you don't need specific instructions

We are told by Rootsweb the archives will remain accessible after the lists close 2nd March 2020

On 17/01/2020 21:02, Chris Cowan wrote:
Unfortunately, I am not an admin for the list I want to see migrated.
I'm hoping that I can point them to Rootsweb specific instructions, so that the archives are maintained.

Frances

196 listed in the Publicly Listed Groups, retrieved using rootsweb keyword.
https://groups.io/search?q=rootsweb

Be sure to list your group here and put Rootsweb early on in the description.
See also https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/Quick-Start-for-Group-Formation

Moving to Groups.io (without easy transfer)

GMF Wiki: (unofficial) Help for members (and would-be members) and group managers

Nivard Ovington

Hi Duane

Its already here Gen-Listowners

See, I knew it was a good idea! ;>)  (I always have my great ideas a few days too late.)  I just added a note for Rootsweb users at the top of our page about moving groups, https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/Moving-to-Groups.io.

Search button at the top of Messages list

Has anyone here successful migrated a non-Yahoo mailing here?  And in particular, Rootsweb?
Hi again Chris! I've moved quite a few llists from RW, with very few hiccups so far. The surname lists are easy, and I merged a few variant spellings that IMO should never have been separate lists.

I also created https://scottish-clan-genealogy.groups.io/g/Clans with Clan subgroups. Quite a few other clan listowners have come in as subgroups. Only hiccup there is that I should have made at least one subgroup *before* I invited anyone to the main group, because the email address and other list emails change. Make all the changes you want, *then* invite.

Also made https://scotland-genealogy.groups.io/g/Scots and then invited county and Scots region lists. This one is also working well, probably because I made the subgroups early.

We've now got the option to go into our old list settings at RW and add the new URL, which is a good thing for the future.

Valorie

Steve Hayes

On 17 Jan 2020 at 21:30, Valorie Zimmerman wrote:

Has anyone here successful migrated a non-Yahoo mailing here?  And in
particular, Rootsweb?
Hi again Chris! I've moved quite a few llists from RW, with very few hiccups
so far. The surname lists are easy, and I merged a few variant spellings that
IMO should never have been separate lists.
I moved a couple, and have been trying to encourage the owners of Rootsweb
lists to cooperate in trying to reduce duplicate and redundant lists, some of
which had very little traffic.

There seems to have been little publicity about the closure, so I've written
a blog post to try to make it better known -- see here:

https://tinyurl.com/vqoafem

--
Keep well,

Steve & Val Hayes
Blog: http://hayesgreene.wordpress.com
Web: http://www.khanya.org.za/famhist1.htm
E-mail: shayes@...
Phone: 073-759-0353 (cell) 012-333-6727 (landline)

Nivard Ovington

Hi Steve

Your blog still has the line

"The bad news is that thirty years of archives will effectively be lost."

Which is not correct

The archives we are told by Rootsweb will remain and still be searchable after the lists close

How long for is another matter but they say they will remain

On 18/01/2020 13:32, Steve Hayes wrote:
[...]

marsha moses

I have just set up a new genealogy list called HAWKINS on this site to replace the Rootsweb list that used to exist.  i am an idiot....I can not figure out how to send the first message so that others will be able to reply to my message.  Please help.  marsha in WV

Frances

On Sat, Jan 18, 2020 at 10:38 AM, marsha moses wrote:
I have just set up a new genealogy list called HAWKINS on this site to replace the Rootsweb list that used to exist.  i am an idiot....I can not figure out how to send the first message so that others will be able to reply to my message.  Please help.  marsha in WV

By email:

Send to [GROUPNAME}@groups.io

On your group page:
If you are starting a new topic, pick that from the left menu.
Or else reply using the button under the message.

You can see the commands on your group homepage.
Scroll down to Group Email Addresses

BTW, if you are hoping for people to find you, you should change your group preference so that you are listed in the directory of groups. I looked for your group there, thinking I could copy and paste the email addresses, but it wasn't retrievable.
https://groups.io/search?p=Created,,,20,2,0,0

See Visibility (b) in this wiki page:  https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/Quick-Start-for-Group-Formation#VISIBILITY-2F-PRIVACY3A

And make sure your group description has good keywords so your group is findable by the keyword search on the directory page.

On Sat, Jan 18, 2020 at 09:51 AM, Frances wrote:
BTW, if you are hoping for people to find you, you should change your group preference so that you are listed in the directory of groups. I looked for your group there, thinking I could copy and paste the email addresses, but it wasn't retrievable.
If it was just created, it may not be active or in the directory yet, but it's a good idea to check visibility.

Search button at the top of Messages list

Susie Zada

The wording in your blog concerns me - Rootsweb sent a message to all List Owners - I would need to double-check but I vaguely remember getting it direct to me and not just via the Listowners Mailing List.  But I know from the discussion that ensued that it was heavily discussed and broadcast.  It was then up to the List Owners to notify their list subscribers.

In fact I've just checked the blog I wrote at the time and it was the Rootsweb Listowners Announcement that was used to notify all List Admins.

My first reaction was to post the message to the subscribers and let them know that I was looking at options.

You can see from my blog that I updated the details as decisions were made.

So I totally disagree that it was secretive - there was nothing secret about it.

And I agree with Nivard that the archives are not lost.

In fact Rootsweb have set up a really easy update that all Rootsweb List Owners can use - you can add a link to your new Mailing List and that will remain permanently in the Rootsweb Archives.  When you look at the archives the link to the NEW list is on the right for all to see.

This link is wonderful for all list owners setting up new Mailing Lists.