Topics

Including Entire Thread in Emails #reply-to-group #email #thread

Michael A. Perry, M.D.

When emails are sent with a newly posted reply, I want the entire thread to be included in the email. Currently, if a reply is posted via the web, there is no included context in the reply email.
Is there a setting to change this?
Thanks.
Mike

Duane

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 10:17 AM, Michael A. Perry, M.D. wrote:
Currently, if a reply is posted via the web, there is no included context in the reply email.
Is there a setting to change this?
No, it's up to each person to decide what, if anything, to include in their reply.  You can highlight what you want to quote before clicking the reply button (as with many email programs) or once in the reply box, use the speech bubble at the upper left to "Quote Whole Post".  See https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/Message-composition-tips-and-tricks

Search button at the top of Messages list

Michael A. Perry, M.D.

Ah. I never noticed the speech bubble. Is there a way to have this as the default?
Thanks again.

Mike

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 04:17 PM, Michael A. Perry, M.D. wrote:
When emails are sent with a newly posted reply, I want the entire thread to be included in the email.
IMHO that is a truly ghastly idea given the number of posts that some threads can accumulate. Do you really want a new reply to a topic to be accompanied by perhaps 20, 30 or more previous posts? You might but I doubt if your members will thank you for it. Over - quoting is a more or less permanent problem with some users of some groups and forcing over - quoting does not look like a good idea.

Currently, if a reply is posted via the web, there is no included context in the reply email.
That is down to members not taking the tiny amount of trouble necessary to use a sensible quote from which to work. It is not a function of posting via the web UI; users should be nudged into providing quotations on which to hang their replies.

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 10:30 AM, Michael A. Perry, M.D. wrote:
I never noticed the speech bubble. Is there a way to have this as the default?
No, that's a user choice.  As an additional note, once the quote is there, you can delete parts of it that aren't needed.

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 08:33 AM, Duane wrote:
No, that's a user choice.  As an additional note, once the quote is there, you can delete parts of it that aren't needed.
Thanks Duane and Chris. I'll guide them on how to quote content sensibly for context.
Mike

txercoupemuseum.org

What “speech bubble”?

WRB

—

On Jan 16, 2020, at 10:33 AM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 10:30 AM, Michael A. Perry, M.D. wrote:
I never noticed the speech bubble. Is there a way to have this as the default?
No, that's a user choice.  As an additional note, once the quote is there, you can delete parts of it that aren't needed.

_._,_._,_

Duane

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 02:22 PM, txercoupemuseum.org wrote:

What “speech bubble”?
On the top bar of the Reply frame/box, at the left.

Search button at the top of Messages list

Samuel Murray

On 16/01/2020 21:12, txercoupemuseum.org wrote:

What “speech bubble”?
It's a little icon that looks like a puff of smoke or a mirred "Q" when you use "Reply" on the web site. See screenshot.

Samuel

gregory alan

That reminds me of the early "good ol' days" when folks kept using the Reply All function and email boxes got filled real quick with these huge email files for those days. I ended up actually automatically deleting emails from certain relatives of mine who made this a practice. It was almost as bad as folks using All Caps when writing, which those not interested to learn apparently did not know was the equivalent of yelling and shouting at someone.

I do like the idea of context, but Chris' mention of quotes is exactly what we expect from authors, bloggers, speakers, writers, and more. Email is an actual writing product, and while we certainly don't have to be experts to write or use email there are protocols established that are acceptable usually across the world (and I apply that to messenger and tweets for myself).

I'm going to have to figure out a good approach and how to word it simply, plainly, and thorough enough. As a trainer, instructor, and educator I can also know some folks just won't be responsible or learn. But then that is where discipline applied by moderators of a group can keep an eye out for and have a basis for handling the situations as they arise without coming across as mere authoritarians or as predominantly opinionated. IMO.

I've been bouncing around since 1978 on computers, back when we had tape drives. Wow.