Managing Database Exports #export #database

Maria McGrath

Is there any way that we can restrict members from exporting a database that has been set up by a moderator / owner ?
If not can this be put on a Wish List ?

Thank you,
Maria

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 06:59 PM, Maria McGrath wrote:
Is there any way that we can restrict members from exporting a database that has been set up by a moderator / owner ?
If not can this be put on a Wish List ?

Thank you,
Maria
Maria,

The only way to prevent a member from exporting a table is by disabling their ability to view the table. This setting is found in Admin / Settings under the Database / Permissions section: "Subscribers cannot view, moderators can create tables"

Disabling clicking on the "Export Database" would only be an inconvenience as it is easy enough to copy and paste the information from the table while viewing it in a browser.

--
Gerald

Maria,

Is there any way that we can restrict members from exporting a
database that has been set up by a moderator / owner ?
Not without blocking them from reading the database. You can do that for all databases by changing the group setting, as Gerald suggested, or you can do that by editing a specific database's properties ("View Table").

If not can this be put on a Wish List ?
The official "suggestion box" is the beta group:
https://beta.groups.io/g/main

Or if you run a Premium group the new tracking system:
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/testing_new_feature/68223523

Sandi D. <sandi.asgtechie@...>

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 05:59 PM, Maria McGrath wrote:
Is there any way that we can restrict members from exporting a database that has been set up by a moderator / owner ?
Hi Maria,
I would agree with Gerald on this one. There are many options that allow displayed data to be collected other than exporting it. I have copied and pasted data from online tables on many different websites. Nearly anything displayed on a website can be captured in some way. Hopefully knowing this you will be able to better understand what information to collect and share with your group.

--
Sandi Dickenson
Moderator of ASG Volunteers Group