Thanks

Gary K. Jackson

A big thank you to all of you who have helped so many people over the last two months. I was about ready to give up on trying to understand the transfer process but with your help I have been able to preserve important photos files and most importantly  tens of thousands of conversations regarding genealogy.
I have read a few articles about Yahoo's decision, here is another
:https://thehftguy.com/2019/12/10/why-products-are-shutdown-the-case-of-verizon-and-yahoo-groups/
Thank you
Gary

M K Ramadoss

It is easy to say decommission and move on.
Groups have a role to play. Thankfully we have an option today due to the foresight of Mark.
With a good business plan we can see groups continue to flourish.
Many professionals such as myself depend of groups to help us provide outstanding service to our clients who deserve such service. Only those who have experienced the power of groups can understand why groups have long future and all of us should support a self sustaining business plan. Nothing is free in life. Everyone has a price to pay and should pay cheerfully because of the value we get back.

MKR

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 12:34 AM Gary K. Jackson <gjacksonx11@...> wrote:
A big thank you to all of you who have helped so many people over the last two months. I was about ready to give up on trying to understand the transfer process but with your help I have been able to preserve important photos files and most importantly  tens of thousands of conversations regarding genealogy.
I have read a few articles about Yahoo's decision, here is another
:https://thehftguy.com/2019/12/10/why-products-are-shutdown-the-case-of-verizon-and-yahoo-groups/
Thank you
Gary

BMaverick

Gary,

I would agree with much of the written info in the article.  There are indeed other possible paths Y! could have taken, like farming out the resources to India or elsewhere to keep the YG platform going for years on end.  But at the end of the day Verizon has the final say.  This isn't the first nor second time Verizon acquired a tech company and closed down the messaging or group forums.  It's a Verizon business model to close discussion groups to the point of smart phone apps being the norm between individuals becomes the main stay.  It sells more phones and interaction for phone plans and data limit charges.  The more folks move away from the computer based internet to smarty phones, the more revenue (aka nickle, dime and dollar the consumer to death).  Desktops, laptops and smart tablets are a threat to the Verizon business model.  To close down these discussion groups is a way to have more phones in the loop instead.

Verizon also killed AOL messenger last year as well.  It's better to sell devices and retain very little for server storage.  Also, the less data storage a company has, the less legal issues to deal with.

GIO is a fresh air event for most of us YG folks.   From the Prodigy (Sears+AOL) to GeoCities to YG to GIO, our legacy discussions have moved forward with present input as well.

BMaverick

Sandi D. <sandi.asgtechie@...>

But at the end of the day Verizon has the final say.
Ditto that. Verizon is a merger and aquisition company.
When moving to FL I took advantage of great low cost Verizon FiOs. Within a few years they sold off their Florida FiOs market to Frontier. Service became unstable, customer support went downhill and bills skyrocketed as Frontier struggled to find the sweet spot of service delivery that returned a profit to them.

Verizon is in it to make money. No one really knows where Yahoo! will end up.
--
Sandi Dickenson
Moderator of ASG Volunteers Group