YG Transfer numbers

Duane

Lacking a statement from Mark on the beta group, I took it upon myself to do a little digging about how many groups may have been transferred in the last 7 weeks.  As near as I can tell, almost 2000 groups, including almost 2,000,000 members have been added.  That's only based on the number of publicly listed groups, so it could be somewhat higher if many aren't listed in the Directory.  Hopefully he'll give a summary after he's had a chance to relax a bit.

Search button at the top of Messages list

Jonathan Sivier

I would have guessed it was significantly higher than that. Back in October, when the flurry of transfer began, I glanced at the Publicly Listed Groups list and as I recall there were something over 13,000 groups listed. Now there are over 21,000. That is an increase of 8,000, around 60%, in the past 7 weeks. Not all of those would have been transfers, but I bet most of them were. Assuming a similar number of private groups that aren't listed (a total guess based only on my own person groups, 4 public, 4 private) would mean around 16,000 groups transferred. Even assuming that some of the 8,000 were new creations and not transfers and that the ratio of private to public groups is much lower, it could still be on the order of 10,000 groups transferred.

Jonathan

On Sun, Dec 8, 2019 at 04:24 PM, Jonathan Sivier wrote:
I would have guessed it was significantly higher than that. Back in October, when the flurry of transfer began, I glanced at the Publicly Listed Groups list and as I recall there were something over 13,000 groups listed. Now there are over 21,000.
I believe you're correct about the number of groups created, but apparently few were Easy transfers.  I based my guesstimate on the Created: date, assuming that any before GIO was launched would be those transfers.  Of course, that would include any transferred before the YG mess.  I happened to check on Oct 29 and there were ~2000, now there are ~3700.  There could be a few that were established on YG after the GIO launch (23 Sep 2014), but I wouldn't expect too many.  And then we run into the situation where multiple YG were transferred to one GIO group.  I rounded up to 2000.

I'm not sure about the public to private ratio either.  I have 4 groups, all publicly listed.

I think I'll wait to see what Mark might say, if he cares to, on beta.

Search button at the top of Messages list

Bill Burns

On 12/8/2019 3:52 PM, Duane wrote:
Lacking a statement from Mark on the beta group, I took it upon myself to do a little digging about how many groups may have been transferred in the last 7 weeks.  As near as I can tell, almost 2000 groups, including almost 2,000,000 members have been added.  That's only based on the number of publicly listed groups, so it could be somewhat higher if many aren't listed in the Directory.  Hopefully he'll give a summary after he's had a chance to relax a bit.
Duane
Mark also posted a few days ago that he was about to upgrade the outbound email server, as the number of outgoing email had more than doubled from a month and a half ago. That would suggest that the number of groups hosted here had also doubled (approximately) in that period.

https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/23081

--
Bill

Duane

On Sun, Dec 8, 2019 at 05:21 PM, Bill Burns wrote:
That would suggest that the number of groups hosted here had also doubled (approximately) in that period.
I would interpret that to mean the number of members had doubled, not the number of groups.  That would jibe with the figures I mentioned for site members.

On 12/8/2019 6:33 PM, Duane wrote:
On Sun, Dec 8, 2019 at 05:21 PM, Bill Burns wrote:
That would suggest that the number of groups hosted here had also
doubled (approximately) in that period.
I would interpret that to mean the number of members had doubled, not the number of groups.  That would jibe with the figures I mentioned for site members.
Duane
I would too, but on the assumption that with so many thousands of groups, the average number of members per group is statistically similar between the existing and new cohorts, I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that the number of groups is also about double.

--
Bill

Duane

Well, Mark replied on the beta group, https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/23160  For those that don't want to go look, he said about 3300 groups used the Easy Transfer.  I missed it by over 50%.

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 01:23 PM, Duane wrote:
For those that don't want to go look, he said about 3300 groups used the Easy Transfer.  I missed it by over 50%.
Assuming this tally includes groups that are now subgroups (which are not listed in the groups.io directory), even this is hard to gauge. In any event, it's a lot. There could be another influx in two days and it's unlikely, but possible, that we've only seen the tip of the iceberg.

Bruce

Rubens

Du| Well, Mark replied (...)
| he said about 3300 groups used the Easy Transfer.

So... 660,000 dollars in the pockets?...

[ ] Rubens

.

Duane

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 08:14 PM, Rubens wrote:
660,000 dollars in the pockets?
We don't know for sure if that includes the groups that were transferred into subgroups (though I suspect it does), which would have been no extra charge.  We do have some evidence that another 7000 groups were created as well.  Don't forget that any income from this will need to cover the next year of expenses.  I don't think we need to be speculating.

Search button at the top of Messages list

BMaverick

Bruce,

I would agree.  There are groups still in YG that have only waken up to the fact YG is going DARK in the past week.  We've seen a few post here with the manual PGO, YG download MBOX, and even Lena's scripts.

Should it be true for YG to still allow group downloads till the end of Jan 2020, the game is still on, just the brunt force like the 3300+ in short time order isn't there.  Anywhere from several dozen to another few hundred groups could be in the wings.

We are now looking at T-minus 1-day-ish before all goes DARK on YG.

BMaverick

Ken Cameron

I think the highest number I heard of in the queue was just over 1000. Then
he improved the import software and everything went much quicker.

-Ken Cameron, Member JMRI Dev Team
www.jmri.org
www.fingerlakeslivesteamers.org
www.cnymod.org