Topics

transfer@groups.io doesn't go through

TeresaQ

but transfer@.iogroups does go through for the invite in order to transfer the group.

We only have 3 days to be able to transfer so are feeling a bit desperate.

We have to upgrade to premium which I did but on a monthly basis. The transfer fee is a one time shot of 220. Will my 20 already paid count when I pay now the 200?

Teresa from NicotineQuitBuddies@groups.io

Frances

On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 12:36 AM, <teresa_q@...> wrote:
but transfer@.iogroups does go through for the invite in order to transfer the group.

We only have 3 days to be able to transfer so are feeling a bit desperate.

We have to upgrade to premium which I did but on a monthly basis. The transfer fee is a one time shot of 220. Will my 20 already paid count when I pay now the 200?
You must pay for the full year in order to use the Easy Transfer. Try to pay just $200. If necessary, pay the full $220 and then get a refund for the $20 you already paid. You don't have time to wait, if you want to use the transfer.

Important: To use the Transfer Agent, you must be either an owner of the Yahoo group, or a moderator with both the “Invite and add members” and “Add, remove, and change moderator privileges” privileges.

You need to follow the instructions, step by step.

The FAQ says:
7. Where are instructions for transferring to groups.io?

Transfer from Yahoo Groups (Groups.io instructions) - official instructions

"Best practice" advice with screenshots:  https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/Transfer-from-Yahoo-Groups

If you DON'T need your message archive, you don't have to pay Groups.io to transfer your group. Basic groups are free.
There are also workarounds you could try.
See #10 and #14 - https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/FAQ-on-Moving-from-Yahoo-Groups

FAQ on Moving from Yahoo Groups
GMF Wiki: (unofficial) Help for members (and would-be members) and group managers

Frances

On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 12:44 AM, Frances wrote:
If you DON'T need your message archive, you don't have to pay Groups.io to transfer your group. Basic groups are free.
Just one more point - since you have 1 month of premium, you can direct add all of your members from your Yahoo Group. You would need to get a list of them.

See this wiki page for the information on that.
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/Direct-Add-Members

FAQ on Moving from Yahoo Groups
GMF Wiki: (unofficial) Help for members (and would-be members) and group managers

TeresaQ

I have paid the 220 one shot yearly payment and will deal with that later.

This issue hasn't been dealt with:

  1. Send an invite from your Yahoo Group to transfer@groups.io

I tried that twice but it received an error message both times.

I then tried to "invite" by changing the order of "groups.io" to ".iogroups" which did go through, but I don't know if it is legitimate or not. From transfer@groups.io to transfer@.iogroups.

I am asking for help in being able to "invite" someone who can work out this transfer as following the steps given isn't working out for me. At least not yet. Maybe it does now as it does here.

TeresaQ

I am the "owner".

I paid the yearly for premium.

I "invited" and receive this repeatedly:

The following email addresses had errors:

  • transfer@groups.io: Invalid email address

TeresaQ

Oops, I'm sorry. In my skimming I missed that it was referring to yahoo groups and not this one. I will see what my moderating abilities are. I don't know that that is the problem, but who knows.

TeresaQ

Ok. I finally realized I had not added ".com". sigh.  It is .com, isn't it? Not .net? Or something else? transfer@...?
1. Upgraded to premium yearly
2. Sent invite to transfer@...
Now waiting.

Fred Hicks

Transfer@groups.io should work. Did for me. It’s legitimate. @.iogroups is nonsense as an email address afaik. I don’t think it’s got a .com equivalent.

--
Fred Hicks
President • Head of Operations • Co-Owner - Evil Hat Productions - evilhat.com

Barbara Byers

No.

transfer@groups.io is the right address

Barb

On 2019-12-03 05:28 AM, teresa_q via Groups.Io wrote:

Ok. I finally realized I had not added ".com". sigh.  It is .com, isn't it? Not .net? Or something else? transfer@...?
1. Upgraded to premium yearly
2. Sent invite to transfer@...
Now waiting.

Duane

On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 07:10 AM, <teresa_q@...> wrote:
I finally realized I had not added ".com". sigh.  It is .com, isn't it?
No.  As it says in the instructions, send the invitation to transfer@groups.io  No other characters needed.  Yahoo can be very stubborn about giving errors, but it will eventually work.

Search button at the top of Messages list

Laura Grego

Teresa, FYI I got the same error you did three or four times and then one time it just worked and it all went quickly after that.
I paid and initiated the transfer yesterday morning, and it has now completed.

I tried typing it in manually rather than cut and paste, logging out/back in. I don’t know that these made any difference, and that it isn’t just yahoo being glitchy. But in any case, getting that error doesn’t mean it won’t eventually work.

Frances

On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 12:36 AM, <teresa_q@...> wrote:
but transfer@.iogroups does go through for the invite in order to transfer the group.
Mea culpa! I didn't notice Teresa's error. It was late, too late last night when I answered.

Okay, you have it now. You must invite transfer@groups.io to your Yahoo Group. Go to Yahoo Groups to do that. See the screenshots on this page.
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/Transfer-from-Yahoo-Groups

FAQ on Moving from Yahoo Groups
GMF Wiki: (unofficial) Help for members (and would-be members) and group managers

Eshin

I found Yahoo gave an error several times when putting transfer@groups.io as an invite. Eventually it went through. Keep trying!

TeresaQ

OK. I figured it all out. I was making the "common errors". LOL shamefacedly. I was trying to "invite" from the .io group.
Everything has gone through. Now we are just waiting on the transfer. What is most important to me are the messages. I unchecked all relatively unnecessary options for the transfer as a new set up would be best anyway.

We're hoping our history as a 12 step group can be preserved for sentimental reasons.

Thank you everyone for your patience...don't trip on not catching everything, Frances. I survived. :)
Again, thank you all.