Can new owner can old owner?

Charles Roberts

Hi All.....
Just wondering....if I start a Gio group and promote another member to Owner status.....can that Owner delete my status as Owner?
Tks Chuck

Duane

On Sat, Nov 23, 2019 at 01:04 PM, Charles Roberts wrote:
.if I start a Gio group and promote another member to Owner status.....can that Owner delete my status as Owner?
Yes.  They can also do that if you make them a moderator with the Set Moderator Privileges permission (promote themselves, then delete you.)

Search button at the top of Messages list

Charles Roberts

Thanks for the info...such that it is.  I doubt if ANY group original owner thinks that's a good policy.
Chuck

Duane

On Sat, Nov 23, 2019 at 05:39 PM, Charles Roberts wrote:
I doubt if ANY group original owner thinks that's a good policy.
Most think it's a good idea, but they're the ones that trust a co-owner or only add moderators with limited permissions.  There is a big discussion on the beta group about this, but nothing has been decided as yet.

Search button at the top of Messages list

My group has three co-owners . .  There is still a little trust around ;-)

Sandi D. <sandi.asgtechie@...>

Same here.

In one group that I created last year, I have a mod that I trust to self change her status to owner should I suddenly be unable make administrative decisions.

In another group I am a trusted mod who has the ability to become owner should the current owner be unable to continue. I am currently empowered to all administrative changes and I notify her as a courtesy. I have no intention of elevating my status to owner unless she steps down. We had the same arrangement on YG for 7 years but without the peace of mind that we have now. If she would have become incompacitated, there would have been no YG owner. With GIO, I can assume that role if needed.

In a third group, I elected to make a new member of my group a "co-owner" based on email exchanges over the course of only 2 days that led to a mutual trust. We had similiar backgrounds, interests and desires to bring like minded hobbyists together. She invited all her YG members into the IO group I had created. It's a relief to us both. Her YG members have a new home and I don't need to worry about what will happen to my group should I be unable to act as owner. Of note, I would not be hurt or angry if I were "kicked out" of that group accidently or intentionally. It's still young (5 months) plus I know I can create another group at any time if we discover some irreconcilable differences between us. We are now in our second month of co-ownership and no problems have surfaced.

It's no big deal at this point in my life (retired) to lose control over "my" groups. The whole point of my groups is to allow the members to steer the group's direction and to promote a space for courtesy exchange of information.

There are groups that exist for entirely different reasons like announcements only or handing down directives or disseminating policy changes. Those group owners may decide its better for their group to dissolve or to re-form under new ownership.

To my way of thinking each group is in some ways like a business. Some business are run by trusted partnerships while others have a single owner. If the owner is permanently incompacitated, the business might be inherited, merge, dissolved, etc. The transition will normally be smoother if a plan is in place and those involved in the business side of things know how to implement the plan.

In that respect, It behooves a group owner to at least consider a plan for his or her group so their intentions have a fair chance of being implemented. Especially when a group owner would like their group to continue should he or she become incompacitated.
--
Sandi Dickenson
Moderator of ASG Volunteers Group