Yahoo Transfer #transfer

Andrew Aurbach

I tried to execute the Yahoo transfer process more than a month ago. I have, on multiple occasions, invited the email in the instructions to the Yahoo Group (ie steps 10-11-12), but with no response. I cannot find a way to contact someone at IO to help with this. We are a paid group and want to preserve our records before any final dispensation from Yahoo before the end of the year. Help?

Bruce Bowman

On Sat, Nov 23, 2019 at 07:58 AM, Andrew Aurbach wrote:
I tried to execute the Yahoo transfer process more than a month ago. I have, on multiple occasions, invited the email in the instructions to the Yahoo Group (ie steps 10-11-12), but with no response.
Andrew -- You need to check your status according to https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/message/19948 and tell us what the pink box says at the top of the resulting page. Without this information we are unable to tell you how to proceed.

You *have* upgraded your destination group to the Premium Yearly payment plan, right?

Bruce

Andrew Aurbach

Thanks Bruce.

Yes, we are on the Premium Plan.

When I checked the link, the pink box indicated re-inviting the transfer@groups.io to the group;

Make sure you have sent an invite to your group for the user transfer@groups.io. We will send you an email once we've received and accepted an invite. If this message hasn't been updated within 6 hours of you sending your invite, please send another one. This notice will be updated when we have received your invite.

I tried to do that again this morning but am getting an error from Yahoo (I had done these steps on numerous occasions over the past month/6 weeks to no avail)

Bruce Bowman

On Sat, Nov 23, 2019 at 08:52 AM, Andrew Aurbach wrote:
I tried to do that again this morning but am getting an error from Yahoo (I had done these steps on numerous occasions over the past month/6 weeks to no avail)
The Yahoo invitation function has been balky for a long time now. I assume you are getting the standard "an error occurred while loading the content?" If so, that's a common error ever since the NEO "downgrade."

If you're getting some other error, come back and tell us what it is.

Unfortunately, there is no way for groups.io to "break into" your group and steal the content itself, so we have to make this invitation thing work. Recommendations on what to do for "error loading content" can be found at https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/message/19411. Others have recently reported that they had more luck using a PC instead of a Mac, or trying another browser.

Hopefully one of those things will help you to get an invitation sent. Once it goes through, your "pink box" status will change to "We have received your invitation and will accept it soon." Go back and check that to be sure.

Once you get the transfer agent invited and [eventually] accepted, you will also have to promote it to a Moderator. If you don't have the necessary privileges to do that your transfer will stall at that point. You might want to promote someone else in your group to Moderator now to ensure you can do it and to get in some practice. Instructions for this can be found at https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN2401.html.

Hope this helps,

On Sat, Nov 23, 2019 at 08:52 AM, Andrew Aurbach wrote:
Yes, we are on the Premium Plan.
Double-check that you are on Premium Yearly. Month-by-month will not work.

Bruce

Ken Cameron

Andrew,

Try to send the invite from Yahoo using as many different browsers as
possible. Also flush your cache to increase the chances of it working and
keep on trying. It seems the many issues inside Yahoo is making this
awkward. But just keep trying.

-Ken Cameron, Member JMRI Dev Team
www.jmri.org
www.fingerlakeslivesteamers.org
www.cnymod.org
www.syracusemodelrr.org

Frances

On Sat, Nov 23, 2019 at 08:52 AM, Andrew Aurbach wrote:
I tried to do that again this morning but am getting an error from Yahoo (I had done these steps on numerous occasions over the past month/6 weeks to no avail)
Andrew, see the new post about Yahoo outage.
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/message/24643

FAQ on Moving from YahooGroups
GMF Wiki: (unofficial) Help for members (and would-be members) and group managers

Dakotta Alex

I'm having the same issue too "Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content."
I guess it's too late now to the transfers from the Yahoo side.

On Sat, Nov 23, 2019 at 01:33 PM, Dakotta Alex wrote:
I'm having the same issue too "Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content."
I guess it's too late now to the transfers from the Yahoo side.
Don't give up hope! See this message on the Easy Group Transfer page:

Yahoo Groups currently has an outage that is preventing us from transferring groups. We do not know if or when this outage will be fixed. Until it is, we have disabled new group transfer requests. Please do not upgrade your group to Premium until we know that the outage has been fixed. We will announce here when that happens.

 (My bolding)

Where to look - https://groups.io/yahootransfer

Additionally, if you are worried, see the discussion about mbox imports. And other strategies listed in
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/FAQ-on-Moving-from-Yahoo-Groups

FAQ on Moving from YahooGroups
GMF Wiki: (unofficial) Help for members (and would-be members) and group managers

Dakotta Alex

Would you suggest manually adding them directly?
I noticed "special notice" is not working either.

Dakotta

On Sat, Nov 23, 2019 at 01:59 PM, Dakotta Alex wrote:
Would you suggest manually adding them directly?
I noticed "special notice" is not working either.

I would request a download from Yahoo Groups - if it is possible.
And perhaps check out other strategies for downloading like PG Offline.
And then I would wait awhile. Get my group all ready for the import if YG becomes accessible again.

I know that Yahoo Mail was down for part of a day on Monday or Tuesday. (I use Y mail to get web access to a Rogers email account.) But then was up and fine. So... fingers crossed!

From the FAQ in the wiki about transferring:

(b) Moving message archive, photos, etc. yourself:

You can download content from Yahoo - see https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/message/19430

There are a few third-party solutions to do that, including PG OFFLINE, and a Chrome browser plugin

The problem is what to do with the message archive once downloaded; as there is really no good way to re-upload it to groups.io, to re-link individual messages to their owners, or to provide online message search capability.  It's not the same as a transfer and loses "ownership", but Lena has a way to get the messages into the archive, https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/message/22251

An option is simply to print the collection of old messages to a PDF file; at which point you can upload that to the files area of your group. That will give you something, even if it isn't conveniently indexed and searchable.

See all of #10 and #14:
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/FAQ-on-Moving-from-Yahoo-Groups

FAQ on Moving from YahooGroups
GMF Wiki: (unofficial) Help for members (and would-be members) and group managers

Andrew Aurbach

Just an update, I was able to send the invite later today from the Yahoo dashboard, so now am just awaiting the io team to accept the invite. I suspect all will proceed smoothly from here. Thanks to all who chipped in advice.

Andrew

Dakotta Alex

Lucky you : ) still trying here : )