Topics

Customization Options? #links #customize

Ann Sterner <ams33765@...>

Good Morning,

I am a moderator for a newly transferred Yahoo group, and have been tasked by our Admin to determine if there is a way to customize the default categories on the left of the page, such as renaming the "Files" link, or if there is the ability to Add other categories?  I have been unable to find anything that would indicate this is possible.  The main reason is that we had quite a few "Links" in the old Yahoo group and would like to replicate those in a "Links" folder in our new group.

If this is not possible...wondering the best options available.  I did see where many folks have added links to the Wiki area, and wonder if this is the best approach that has been found for this, or if it is possible to put them in the "Files" area as well.

All input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ann

Chris Jones

On Sat, Nov 23, 2019 at 11:06 AM, Ann Sterner wrote:
I am a moderator for a newly transferred Yahoo group, and have been tasked by our Admin to determine if there is a way to customize the default categories on the left of the page...|<snip>  I have been unable to find anything that would indicate this is possible
(My underlining)

That, I'm afraid, is because it isn't.

The main reason is that we had quite a few "Links" in the old Yahoo group and would like to replicate those in a "Links" folder in our new group.
Those links should have turned up in the Database section.

Chris

Tony Moody

Edited

Hallo Ann,

I have recently put the ex yahoo Links into a Database.
Done right the Links are clickable. Ref View/Reply Online (#24486
I understand that using database for Links is the prefered way,

OK,
Tony

On 23 Nov 2019 at 3:01, Ann Sterner wrote about :
Subject : [GMF] Customization Options? #custo

[...]

Frances

Ann, your links should have transferred into Databases. If database has not been activated in Settings, do so and you will see them, I believe.

FAQ on Moving from YahooGroups
GMF Wiki: (unofficial) Help for members (and would-be members) and group managers

Ann Sterner <ams33765@...>

Thanks for the feedback

For the record, our Links did transfer to the Database area.  We are just trying to determine if we have other options for relocation to a different area, what they might be, which is best and/or customization of the default categories.  All feedback is appreciated.

Chris Jones

On Sat, Nov 23, 2019 at 05:25 PM, Ann Sterner wrote:
For the record, our Links did transfer to the Database area.
And in turn thank you for your feedback. Not everyone comes back to tell us that their problem has been resolved.

On Sat, Nov 23, 2019 at 11:25 AM, Ann Sterner wrote:
and/or customization of the default categories
There are somethings on the left menu that come and go, depending on whether you have those features enabled, such as Files, Photos, etc., but can not be renamed.

Search button at the top of Messages list

Ann,

We are just trying to determine if we have other options for
relocation to a different area, what they might be, ...
You could put them in a wiki page.
You could put them in a downloadable file.
You could put them in your group's home page Description
You could put them in your group's guidelines
You could put them in a Topic which you pin to your Topics list

which is best ...
That, I think, may depend on how your group uses the links.

Most of those have the disadvantage that you have to create a presentation for the links (text description, organization) and format them as clickable links manually. And that presentation is static, requiring manual maintenance. That is, to add a new link someone has to decide where it goes in the presentation and put it in the proper place.

And it means you don't get the benefits of allowing users to sort the list of links based on columns, as one can in the Database.

and/or customization of the default categories.
Other than the sections which you can enable and disable through your group's Settings page (and the Guidelines which you can enable through defining that type of Member Notice), no. The buttons in the left column can't be customized or rearranged by group admins.

Sandi D. <sandi.asgtechie@...>

Food for thought- consider the purpose of the links, their relationship and the ease of updating, adding and deleting them over the course of time.

I recently read a GMF post about how to enter links into a database. The process seems to require a very specific series of events. I don't know how easy it would to be to manage arrangement, changes and additions to links in a GIO database but from what I have gathered in reading posts, many seem to be using the database for their links.

In my group, I opted to group our links into Wiki pages. I feel they are more organized, easier to find by members searching for a specific topic or "how to" and easily edited/managed by members so that they remain current. I made a TOC so the relavent wiki page of links can be readily found.

I am considering a third way of presenting links using our files. I haven't yet done so but I know that PDFs can be hosted under files and opened directly in a browser.
What I have in mind is to build PDFs containing resource links helpful to each volunteer's job description so that an individual member can opt to download it from our files area and tailor the page for local distribution to their committee members in their respective chapters. (Our GIO group members represent non profit chapters across the US.)

I currently have in place a formatted Google drive spreadsheet with an extensive number of links. It was created 5 years ago and is updated annually by each chapter's web manager or president. It contains the URLs of our 150+ chapters who have an online presence (websites, social media, forums and groups) along with contact information for the person who is responsible for maintaining their online presence.

Given that it is quite already in place and understood by our members I see no reason to bring it into a GIO database. Instead, the spreadsheet link is in the appropriate Wiki page and also sent annually in a post as a reminder for our members to update their chapter information.

In summary, this may be a good time to evaluate the purpose of your aquired links and think about the best way to present them to your group members with minimal ongoing management effort.

--
Sandi Dickenson
Moderator of ASG Volunteers Group