Topics

Special Notices not delivered to all members who selected Special #specialnotice

Stan Garfield

I just reviewed the Email Delivery History for all members of my group who selected Special Notices Only under Email Delivery. I would expect to see the most recent special notice as the Most Recent Successful Delivery. But I see a variety, including the initial welcome message to the group after migration from Yahoo, the first special message sent since the migration, and the most recent special message.

What is the reason for this inconsistency?  Are not all people who selected Special getting all of the special notices?

Regards,
Stan Garfield
https://groups.io/g/SIKM/

Duane

On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 11:19 AM, Stan Garfield wrote:
But I see a variety, including the initial welcome message to the group after migration from Yahoo, the first special message sent since the migration, and the most recent special message.
The only reason I can think of is that some of them bounced.  You might check on that.  Some email services are more prone to intermittent bouncing fests than others.

Search button at the top of Messages list

Stan Garfield

Thanks, Duane. I checked that, and there were no bounces.

Bruce Bowman

On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 12:19 PM, Stan Garfield wrote:
I just reviewed the Email Delivery History for all members of my group who selected Special Notices Only under Email Delivery. I would expect to see the most recent special notice as the Most Recent Successful Delivery. But I see a variety, including the initial welcome message to the group after migration from Yahoo, the first special message sent since the migration, and the most recent special message.
Stan -- Subscriber message delivery varies, depending on what service they are using to provide their email, how stringent/broken those provider's spam algorithms are, and whether the subscriber is a member of some other groups. Message delivery tracking is a function of the account, not the group. As a group owner, you can only see information that applies to your own group, so what is shared with you by clicking this button is by its very nature incomplete.

For example, an account can go into bouncing status even if nothing has been posted to group X, because of activity in group Y (or notifications that didn't get delivered, etc.). In such a case, you as the group X owner would go into that subscriber's email delivery history and see absolutely nothing wrong, but the account is bouncing anyway.

Individual account holders can get a more complete picture of their own message delivery at https://groups.io/account?page=bounces

Bruce

Stan,

But I see a variety, including the initial welcome message to
the group after migration from Yahoo, the first special message sent
since the migration, and the most recent special message.
That's intriguing.

I understand what Bruce is saying about the Bounce history being absent activity from other groups, but I'm not sure that applies to the Most Recent Successful Delivery box. And if it does, then those intervening messages in other groups should make the content go blank, not refer to an older post in this group.

The Message Selection option (Membership tab, Advanced Preferences) comes to mind, but my understanding is that Special Notices are supposed to bypass that. Also, I suspect very few members have even noticed that, much less used it.

Could they have been on No Email part of the time?

Stan Garfield

>Could they have been on No Email part of the time?

Yes, that is the case and would explain messages not delivered during that time. But after I turned off the No Email option, shouldn't they have all received the most recent special notice?

Stan,

But after I turned off the No Email option, shouldn't they
have all received the most recent special notice?
Yes, they should have.

Could you contact one of those people to find out if they in fact received the Special Notice or not? I guess I'm poking at whether it is the send that maybe has a flaw, or the reporting.

In either case, this is sounding more and more like something where the evidence should be reported to support.

Stan Garfield

Shal, thanks for the suggestion.  I checked with one of the members and found at that they had in fact received the most recent special notice, despite the most recent delivery not indicating that.