Topics

Merge Topics with Search #search #merge

Shane Grimm

I'm part of a group that's just brought in 1,000s of messages from Yahoo. Trying to clean up some of the messages by adding tags and merging topics together.

I'm searching for topics I know are repeated and want to merge but the merge option isn't available from the drop down.

I've found it is available when I filter on a specific tag.

What's the best method for finding and merging a huge backlog of old messages?

Thanks!

Shane

Frances

On Sun, Nov 17, 2019 at 12:11 AM, Shane Grimm wrote:
I'm part of a group that's just brought in 1,000s of messages from Yahoo. Trying to clean up some of the messages by adding tags and merging topics together.

I'm searching for topics I know are repeated and want to merge but the merge option isn't available from the drop down.

I've found it is available when I filter on a specific tag.

What's the best method for finding and merging a huge backlog of old messages?
As you saw, you can merge topics using the dropdown menu.
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/How-To-Merge-Threads

But I don't know a faster way. Slow going.

Ideas, folks?

FAQ on Moving from YahooGroups
GMF Wiki: (unofficial) Help for members (and would-be members) and group managers

Shane Grimm

Thanks Frances. Without search it was becoming slow, and impossible to merge messages beyond page 9 since the system returns you to page 1 after performing a merge.

I've found a workaround to get past this.

  1. Navigate to the page you want to start merging on, i.e. Page 14
  2. Start the merge process as you normally would using the drop down to start merge, and then drop down to merge into. You are now on page 1.
  3. Instead of slowly paging forward back to page 14. Just do this... hit the browser back button twice, then refresh. You are now on page 14 and can see results of the merge.
  4. Repeat steps above to perform your next merge.
This works, but still think allowing a merge after a search would be ideal. I'm guessing the devs are pretty busy with all the Yahoo Group migrations right now. But would love to offer this suggestion to the team to see if they can include this in a future release of Groups.io.