Question about Renaming a Group #groupname

I read the groups.io Wiki page on this topic, but am still not certain about the ramifications of changing a group name or what constitutes changing a group's name.

Does it count as "renaming a group" if I delete a subgroup I have created? I ask because adding a subgroup caused the word "main" to be added to our group name. I want to forgo the subgroup function and get a simpler name/address for our group.

Questions:

#1 If I delete the subgroup, will that cause all the consequences listed below? (culled from the Wiki)

If the answer is "no," then all is well.

If the answer is "yes," can you explain in more detail  about  how this will affect the archived email messages?

  • Groups.io will NOT parse old group content for group-related links and update them to the new URL. Therefore, many of the links to group content in the Message Archive (and of course, any previously-sent emails), your home page, and your wiki will likely now point to never-never land (404 not found).
  • This includes the reply-to address and many of the links in group message footers!

Will it mean that group members can't search the archives because they remain linked to that name with "main" in it?

Does it mean they can't hit reply to an archived message created prior to my deleting the subgroup?

I can't remember if I created the subgroup prior to Groups.io moving our group over from Yahoo or not. Does it matter?

Please advise.
I would like to revert to the simpler group name, but don't want to render our archive unsearchable or unresponsive.

Thank you for all the good support that Groups.io offers.

Best,

Karen at GlyphStud
[Excess information removed by moderator]

Duane

On Sat, Nov 16, 2019 at 11:43 AM, Karen wrote:
I ask because adding a subgroup caused the word "main" to be added to our group name. I want to forgo the subgroup function and get a simpler name/address for our group.
If it were me, I'd keep the subgroup, but change the settings for it so it's 'hidden'.  The short form of the group address will work for the main group, assuming that you're happy with it, though it will always show the long one on the home page.  For example, if the home page says main@mygroup.groups.io you can send mail to mygroup@groups.io and end up at the same place.   Deleting the subgroup should revert the name to that anyway.  If you delete the subgroup, you'd also need to 'fix' any notices you've set up so they have the correct information in them.  By keeping the subgroup, you have the option to use it later without going through the hassles associated with creating (or deleting) one.

Search button at the top of Messages list

Hey Duane,

Thanks for letting me know that I can use the address without "main" in it and still have email end up at the same place.

One thing more, can you let me know what will happen to the email archive if I delete the subgroup?
Since the group name will revert to the original name without "main" in it, will it affect the archived messages or no?

Best,

Karen

Duane

On Sun, Nov 17, 2019 at 02:40 PM, Karen wrote:
One thing more, can you let me know what will happen to the email archive if I delete the subgroup?
Shouldn't have any effect on the main group.  Anything in the subgroup would be gone.

Search button at the top of Messages list