European Date Format & 24hr Clock #calendar

Jack - GM4COX

Hi again folks,

The above topic may have already been covered (I had a wee search through existing Topics but nothing jumped out at me)? So I wonder if there is a facility to record Calendar and other items in a European date dd,mm,yy (or yyyy) format? And likewise the Clock in a 24hr format?

Thanks

Jack(;>J

Jack,

So I wonder if there is a facility to record Calendar and other items
in a European date dd,mm,yy (or yyyy) format? And likewise the Clock
in a 24hr format?
Not as yet, but it has been discussed:
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/4177679

Shal

Jack - GM4COX

Thanks Shai - I'll just have to watch I don't get tripped up - for us Europeans - is 08/12/17 - the 12th of August 2017 or 8th December 2017? But I haven't heard any sleigh bells lately so it must be August. And it's about time the World standardised YYYY/MM/DD. It follows the normal directory dissemination. But hey were just humans - nothings prefect - what would we do with ourselves otherwise (;>? Now about decimalisation........

Cheers

Jack(;>J

LeeAnne

And it's about time the World standardised YYYY/MM/DD.
Hear! Hear!
"08-11" is not a date!
It is impossible to get some people (even very nice ones) to come out of "We've always said/done it this way" comfort zones.

--
-LeeAnne

ECIR Archivist

Jack,

it's about time the World standardised YYYY/MM/DD.
The world has has an international standard, ISO-8601: YYYY-MM-DD, but not everyone has gotten the memo.

I like this humorous take on it:
https://xkcd.com/1179/

More details:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601

Shal

Jeremy Harrison

,,, and, possibly more relevant (for web usage),  https://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/iso-date

And I've noticed looking at archived messages, that go from having a time (in correct zone), to month (three letter abbreviation) day, then to mm/dd/yy format...

Jeremy

Who will be happy with ISO 8601 dates, but is fascinated by the variety here http://www.public.asu.edu/~checkma/today.html

LeeAnne

Nice Shall!  Thanks for that.  I had no idea yyyy-mm-dd was the international standard.  I wonder how the person who came up with it feels as so many never use it.  Probably just has a permanent tear track under one eye.

--
-LeeAnne

ECIR Archivist

Tim J <secretary@...>

As Yahoo Groups crumble in front of our eyes - two groups I belong to are having to dump and run as ever increasing parts of it stop working - there will be more and more UK & Europe people flocking to Groups.io.

I'm sure we don't mind what date and time formats are used - EXCEPT MMDDYY.  It has never made any sense to me and lots of others.

My vote and request (pretty please) is to try and change this sooner rather than later.  Could it be linked to the time zone of the user in any way, so nobody has to learn anything new?

Even better would be the adoption of the "whole world" standard YYYYMMDD (and HHMM on a 24 hour clock) - very sensible as you can sort on that field then, and it appears in strict date order.

Thanks.

Duane

In order to get something like this implemented, you'd need to bring it up on beta@, the official group for suggestions. The members here are all just users of the site, like you.

This has been discussed before, https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/4177679. Since that Topic is locked, you'd need to start a new thread. On the TODO list, dates are only mentioned for databases, not the entire site, https://trello.com/c/rtGkU1hw/229-change-format-of-date-fields-to-day-month-year.

Duane

Tim J <secretary@...>

Thanks, Duane,

Whoa there.  I'm just a relatively simple user, but one not USA based, so would find it very difficult to manage with the strange date format used over there.  I know nothing about Trello, I'm afraid and not sure where to start with it.

If Groups.io really has an international ambition - and I hope it does - I would strongly recommend that EVERY date (and time) in it use and display the international standard.  I'm cool with not using the UK DD/MM/YYY, but anything is better than the confusing US MM/DD/YYYY imho.  If display can be user controlled, that would be the gold standard, but defaulting to YYYYMMDD hhhh (or whatever the 24 hour version is) would be very workable around the globe.

Exactly how do I get this on the TODO list, please?

Tim

On 15/01/18 15:55, Duane wrote:
In order to get something like this implemented, you'd need to bring it up on beta@, the official group for suggestions.  The members here are all just users of the site, like you.

This has been discussed before, https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/4177679.  Since that Topic is locked, you'd need to start a new thread.  On the TODO list, dates are only mentioned for databases, not the entire site, https://trello.com/c/rtGkU1hw/229-change-format-of-date-fields-to-day-month-year.

Duane

Tim,

I know nothing about Trello, I'm afraid and not sure
where to start with it.
That's ok, you don't need to. It is just a publicly visible "to do" list, not something where users can add items.

... I would strongly recommend that EVERY date (and time) in it use
and display the international standard.
I agree, and have been advocating for the ISO 8601 standard: YYYY-MM-DD whenever the issue comes up. The hyphens are optional but I like them for readability.

If display can be user controlled, that would be the gold
standard, ...
That would be fine by me too. I'd hope for at least one 8601 variant to be included in the choices.

Exactly how do I get this on the TODO list, please?
The topic Duane cited is moderated, not locked, so one option is to reply to Mark's message where he says:
"Supporting multiple date formats is definitely on the TODO list."
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/12665

Maybe some additional replies will bump this item up on the list.

Like GMF the messages are public so you can read them without joining, but (if you haven't yet) you'll need to join the beta group to post a reply (or new topic) there.

Shal

maggie cooper

As an owner who is British, I too find the Month-Day-Year format very strange, the 24 hour clock is fairly common in UK and most of Europe but entering the date here is pretty standard, day-month-year, or even year-month-day, but placing the month first then the day followed by the year is what we here in UK call cack handed.

Jean Bennett

Although I understand the concern expressed, our group would be very much opposed to changing the date format unless it were optional at either the group or individual level (or both).  We are a US-based group of artists and such a change (if imposed unilaterally) would be very confusing for our members.

Jean

Simon Hedges

I'd like to support this.

I run yahoogroups with large proportions of members in the USA, Canada, UK, rest of Europe, Australia and some other countries.  In order for dates to be readily and instantly understandable, the members need to be able to know, without thinking,unambiguously, that a message posted on 1/8/18 was posted on 1st August 2018, or 8th January 2018 and the only way of doing this instantly is to enable them to see dates in their local date format.

The same goes for time format: I far prefer to use the 24 hour clock (I'm from the UK where 12 hour and 24 hour clocks are in common usage), but many of my US members find that quite difficult.

This issue is slowing down a transfer of some of my groups from yahoogroups to io groups: enforcing a single format, whether the US format or ISO format (which has the benefit of annoying almost everyone equally), or the DD/MM/YYYY format used by most of the world, smacks of cultural imperialism of one form or another!

Simon, on 29/01/2018 at 13:23

Dave Wade

Can I support too. The web site dates is as impenetrable to non-Americans as Degrees Celsius were to the US Citizens I met on a recent tour of the Canadian Rockies…

Dave Wade

[...]

Edited

It looks like this is definitely on Mark's mind: https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/15688  As Shal mentioned, additional comments on Mark's earlier post, https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/12665, might help give it a boost.

Duane

Simon Hedges

Hi Duane,

Yes – I’ve liked posts there and added a new post there too.

Simon

It looks like this is definitely on Mark's mind: https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/15688  As Shal mentioned, additional comments on Mark's earlier post, https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/12665, might help give it a boost.

Duane

Jean Bennett

Our US-based group is very much opposed to changing the date/time format unilaterally. Why should our members (who have been here for two years) be subjected to confusion to accommodate newcomers? If it can be implemented optionally at the group or individual level we would support it. Otherwise, we will vigorously oppose it.

Jean

#OrlandoStrong

Jean,

Our US-based group is very much opposed to changing the date/time
format unilaterally.
I don't think it has been discussed in beta@ as anything but an option.

I would hope for it to be implemented much like timezone: an individual setting, with a group default for people new to Groups.io.

Shal

toki

On 01/29/2018 06:10 PM, Jean Bennett via Groups.Io wrote:

Why should our members (who have been here for two years) be subjected to confusion to accommodate newcomers?
And a date of 2/3/17 isn't confusing?!?!?!

The request is for dates and times to be given as defined by the ISO
standard. And, where possible, adjusted for local variants, at the
user's option.

jonathon