Which "custom Welcome notice" will the transfer agent use?

Samuel Murray

Hello

1. I created two welcome notices already -- one for the members who join via the Yahoogroups transfer and one to be used later for members who join in the usual way. I marked the YG one as "active" and the other one as non-active. Will that active notice then be sent to members who are added from the Yahoogroup?

2. What other information is included in the message that is sent to members who have been moved? Can I see an example of such a message anywhere, please?

Thanks
Samuel

Samuel,

Will that active notice then be sent to members who
are added from the Yahoogroup?
I would have confidently said "yes", but there has recently been a topic here concerning some transfers where it did not.
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/topic/40205879#22970

Samuel,

2. What other information is included in the message that is sent to
members who have been moved? Can I see an example of such a message
anywhere, please?
I've just pasted one here:
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/Added-Message-for-YG-transfer

This was collected over a year and a half ago, so if anyone has a newer example with changed wording please update it, or send a copy to me off-list.

Samuel Murray

On 11 Nov 2019 18:03, Shal Farley wrote:

Samuel wrote:

2. What other information is included in the message that is sent to
members who have been moved?  Can I see an example of such a message
anywhere, please?
I've just pasted one here:
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/Added-Message-for-YG-transfer
Aah, thanks.

- Do you know if the welcome message will form part of it, or will be sent separately?

I was also wondering if the members will be added directly or be given an "invitation" to join, since some of the older information that I have read seemed to indicate that that is what will happen. But I see from this example that members are added directly, and then given the option to unsubscribe.

Also, silly of me, but I have actually received such a message myself very recently when a group that I'm a member of, joined. The text of the message is:

Hello,

The owner of the OLDGROUPNAME Yahoo Group has moved the group to Groups.io, a new Groups service. You have been subscribed to the new group using your email address MYMAILADDRESS. The title of the new group is NEWGROUPNAME user forum, and messages can be sent to it at NEWGROUPNAME@groups.io. The group homepage is located [here].

Groups at Groups.io are similar to Yahoo Groups, but we have several new features and we encourage you to explore the Groups.io website. If you have never registered with Groups.io before, your account will not have a password set yet. To log in, you can use the 'Email me a link to login' button to have a link emailed to you that will let you log into the website.

You do not have to do anything to continue being a member of this group. If you do not wish to be a member of NEWGROUPNAME, [click here to unsubscribe] and you will be unsubscribed immediately.

If you have any questions, please contact support@groups.io.

Cheers,
The Groups.io Team

"Cheers"... cheers means "thanks" where I'm from. I realise it means "goodbye" in other parts of the world. :-)

Samuel

Samuel,

- Do you know if the welcome message will form part of it, or will be
sent separately?
Sent separately.

That's why there's an option to have no active Welcome notices, or to uncheck the sending of the "you've been added" - some people felt that two emails to the transferred member was one too many. (some thought that even one was too many, but that's another thing).

I was also wondering if the members will be added directly
Added directly. Hence You have been added...

Also, silly of me, but I have actually received such a message myself
very recently when a group that I'm a member of, joined.  The text of
the message is:
So the key change I'm seeing is that the paragraph about the Updates group has been removed. That sounds familiar, I recall people objecting to it. So I've deleted it from the example. I found the #changelog message where Mark added that to transfers (2017-01-20 beta #12720) but not where he took it out again.