full and truncated URLs for main group? #groupname

reachingout

I have created a group and subgroups.

When I created the subgroups, the original group (for all members) was renamed to add the word "main" to the URL and to the email address.

The URL became this:

https://main.groups.io/g/OurGroupName

Emails to post to the list would be addressed to:

main@OurGroupName.groups.io

I understand that this is supposed to happen, and that's fine.

The word "main" was confusing for my group.

Therefore, I changed the word "main" to the same word as the name of my group.

So now now the URL of the mail group is:

https://OurGroupName.groups.io/g/OurGroupName

and emails are sent to:

OurGroupName@OurGroupName.groups.io

That is a bit odd, but it was better than the word "main" in our case.

Question:

Can I give out my URL as simply this:

https://OurGroupName.groups.io

(without the ending of ".io/g/main" or ".io/g/OurGroupName")?

I've tried that, and sometimes it automatically goes to the full URL.

Other times, it sits there stalling.

If that's supposed to work, I'd rather give out the short (truncated) form of the URL.

Duane

On Sun, Oct 27, 2019 at 05:33 PM, reachingout wrote:
https://OurGroupName.groups.io/g/OurGroupName
This is the shortest that will work reliably. (As you've found.)  When you don't use the /g/OurGroupName, the system can't be sure if it should go to main or a subgroup, so may do nothing.

Search button at the top of Messages list

Robert Schechter

Tried it and was told

This site can’t be reached

ourgroupname.groups.io’s server IP address could not be found.

On Sun, Oct 27, 2019 at 06:33 PM, reachingout wrote:

Question:

Can I give out my URL as simply this:

https://OurGroupName.groups.io

(without the ending of ".io/g/main" or ".io/g/OurGroupName")?

Bruce Bowman

On Sun, Oct 27, 2019 at 07:29 PM, Robert Schechter wrote:
ourgroupname.groups.io’s server IP address could not be found.
See https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/Renaming-a-Group

On Sun, Oct 27, 2019 at 06:29 PM, Robert Schechter wrote:
ourgroupname.groups.io
You do have to replace ourgroupname with the name of an actual group, such as this one, https://GroupManagersForum.groups.io

Search button at the top of Messages list