PG Offline users #pgoffline

Duane

Wilson, main programmer and owner of PGO, made an encouraging comment this morning,

"I am working on adding functionality to PGO to allow you to post all the YG content into groups.io.

Once its ready, I would suggest creating a sub-group called "YG archive" or something.

Then you will be able to tell PGO to effectively email all the old posts to the sub group."

He didn't give any indication of when it might be ready or any other details, but he does understand the urgency.  I think this would be a great addition for those that can't quite afford to pay for a transfer (PGO is $25.)  It may not be quite as slick, but will save the archives and should give access to them online.

Duane

Jim Pruitt

Hello Duane.

That would be a great feature.  I am also working with Wilson on another issue.  I downloaded his latest PGO but it refuses to log me into Yahoo groups to even see my group.  This is despite the fact that I use Waterfox (Firefox 56) as well as Firefox (v70.0).  The problem appears to be that despite not getting the Yahoo oath message (I refuse to accept their oath so when browser presents it I say do it later which will be the sixth Tuesday of never) in the browswer PGO must be getting it.  So Wilson or his new programmer will be working on a method where PGO opens the browswer if a problem occurs (like the oath pop up) so it can be cleared and then go back to PGO.  I just hope this happens before Yahoo groups deletes everything!  At this point I can't even use PGO.  Wilson did offer to grab my groups but that is a lot of data and I would prefer to do it myself.  I have not had any luck getting Python to run on my Windows 7 box and the other 2 or 3 Github utilities seem to be Python scripts and all have said they do not work that well anyway so PGO seems to be the only game in town at this point.

Thank you.

Jim Pruitt

On 10/25/2019 9:53 AM, Duane wrote:
Wilson, main programmer and owner of PGO, made an encouraging comment this morning,

"I am working on adding functionality to PGO to allow you to post all the YG content into groups.io.

Once its ready, I would suggest creating a sub-group called "YG archive" or something.

Then you will be able to tell PGO to effectively email all the old posts to the sub group."

He didn't give any indication of when it might be ready or any other details, but he does understand the urgency.  I think this would be a great addition for those that can't quite afford to pay for a transfer (PGO is $25.)  It may not be quite as slick, but will save the archives and should give access to them online.

Duane

CushmanGroup

As of this date, using PGO, if you want to download everything from YG you will have to accept the )(*& oath click.  It took me 2 days of trying to get around it and as soon as I took the Devil's click I could go in and down load 7 different groups.  OK with me because come the 1st of January I am deleting all yahoo accounts and the Devil's oath.  I could access YG using PGO but it is YG that is blocking the downloads, not PGO.  That is YG is blocking access using a download program since they know what is going on now.  Just to log into YG and manage accounts on line, I have been delaying the Devil's oath since it first started and I have had to manage the YG accounts daily since 2001.

CushmanGroup

One other issue I found with YG and PGO, I was unable to get Windows 7 64 bit to run PGO smooth enough to spend nearly 40 hours online downloading all the YG sites.  It kept hanging and locking up, same on several Windows 7 computers.  So I programmed a HP laptop in Windows 10 and used the internal 10 browser, it down loaded smoothly.  Just remember to turn off the sleep mode and power down mode. 

Mike Strange

I must be lucky, PGO downloaded 7 groups for me a couple of days ago on Win 7 64 bit without a glitch and I have just gone on to again and checked Refresh and it has scanned those groups and added in a small number of new messages.  All the groups have been 'neo-ised' too.

To produce a message archive I chose the option to save messages as HTML (50 messages batches) then combined them into a single PDF which gives a perfect searchable and browsable file. The message links don't work after the PDF conversion but that's no great loss and the greatest number of messages was just under 4000 which ended up as a few more pages and 12MB. I wonder if you are hitting the 10,000 message limit on Yahoo then a 2 hour wait.

Hope you get some better luck with yours.

CushmanGroup

Yea, seems everything happens to me, I must be some kind of lightning rod.  I was more concerned with getting it down than figure out the bugs.

PGO prompts you just before the 10,000 limit and suggests you stop for a couple of hours so as not to get flagged by YG.  So I did.  These groups have running 50,000 to 75,000 messages in each so you can see how long it took.  Many go back to year 2000 and I never realized how many dead members there were and how many files they had uploaded.  I will get groups.io move all the files and stuff over.  I have copies here that will over the next couple of weeks get cleaned up and weeded out and replace the migration copies.  Also on the groups.io panel you limit the size of the migrated pics.  On the PGO downloaded copies they are the original size.  I am keeping those to go into a photograph server parked someplace else and let the group members access them via another domain name link.  So they will have the downsized copies on groups.io but the full sized ones, some are 3MB each, on a different server.  On YG I copied out all the bouncing members first, then did the mass notice of a change over, checked for the newly flagged bouncing and the types like soft bounce.  Backed that copy up and when the change over is done hit them again.  THEN will manually add all the previous bouncers and do it again.  That will give the final good member addresses and the left overs get put into a storage file.  Who knows what to do with that.

Without PGO this would be nearly impossible if not terribly horrible to do.

Sarah k Alawami

Could you not hjave saved them as MBox message archives then given them to mark to import? This is what i did for my mail man listsome years ago.

Take care

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. .

On 25 Oct 2019, at 15:59, Mike Strange via Groups.Io wrote:

I must be lucky, PGO downloaded 7 groups for me a couple of days ago on Win 7 64 bit without a glitch and I have just gone on to again and checked Refresh and it has scanned those groups and added in a small number of new messages.  All the groups have been 'neo-ised' too.

To produce a message archive I chose the option to save messages as HTML (50 messages batches) then combined them into a single PDF which gives a perfect searchable and browsable file. The message links don't work after the PDF conversion but that's no great loss and the greatest number of messages was just under 4000 which ended up as a few more pages and 12MB. I wonder if you are hitting the 10,000 message limit on Yahoo then a 2 hour wait.

Hope you get some better luck with yours.

Mark Emmer

I also got the warning of a 10,000 message limit, but the download never did stop.  It downloaded all 53,000 messages (about 233 MB in the db3 file).  Average download speed was 2.5 messages/second, which is not a function of my 30 Mbps connection or computer speed.  Either PG Offline spends a lot of time storing each message, or Yahoo is very slow delivering them.  It took about 6 hours.  Be patient, and if Yahoo doesn't stop the transfer at 10,000, you shouldn't either.

Mark

CushmanGroup

You can adjust the down load speed in the program.  I had mine set at the basic 25 message blocks and then a rest and then another 25.  Some servers will interpret a constant flow out as streaming out like in videos and will give haults in period for that.  I had 74,000 messages in one download.  How can people talk that much.  I did see random haults for several seconds at times which indicates server overloads on YG part.

I figured just to go slow in case there is some secret at the last moment YG gottcha that would pop up.  When getting out of town during a riot or martial law, just act calm, don't move fast, but get out in one piece.

Laurence Marks

Other options available through the current version (4) of PGO:
  1. HTML generated so you can post the archive on any available drive (Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, etc.) and make publicly available to anyone with a web browser. You can either get all the messages (with attachments) in one long web page or a series of pages of 50 messages each.
  2. Code generated for a Wordpress website
  3. Code generated for a PHP website
If you hustle, you can do this well within the 14-day trial period.

Su

Could you not hjave saved them as MBox message archives then given them to mark to import? This is what i did for my mail man listsome years ago.
I actually tried asking support@groups.io about doing this but only got a form reply. Can you please give any details on how this worked back when you had it done?

Thank you!
Su

James Counts, CPA, CTFA

Jim

I am having that exact issue myself in not being able to log in on Yahoo.

I also hope he gets it fixed as I have about 30 groups I want to update so I have it all in my databases.

Jim

James C. Counts II, CPA CTFA

Recently saw this sign in a store. “Stressed is Desserts spelled backwards.”

[excessive multiline sig and excess quote trimmed by moderator]

From: GroupManagersForum@groups.io [mailto:GroupManagersForum@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jim Pruitt via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, October 25, 2019 1:05 PM
To: GroupManagersForum@groups.io
Subject: Re: [GMF] PG Offline users

Hello Duane.

That would be a great feature.  I am also working with Wilson on another issue.  I downloaded his latest PGO but it refuses to log me into Yahoo groups to even see my group.  This is despite the fact that I use Waterfox (Firefox 56) as well as Firefox (v70.0).  The problem appears to be that despite not getting the Yahoo oath message (I refuse to accept their oath so when browser presents it I say do it later which will be the sixth Tuesday of never) in the browswer PGO must be getting it.  So Wilson or his new programmer will be working on a method where PGO opens the browswer if a problem occurs (like the oath pop up) so it can be cleared and then go back to PGO.  I just hope this happens before Yahoo groups deletes everything!  At this point I can't even use PGO.  Wilson did offer to grab my groups but that is a lot of data and I would prefer to do it myself.  I have not had any luck getting Python to run on my Windows 7 box and the other 2 or 3 Github utilities seem to be Python scripts and all have said they do not work that well anyway so PGO seems to be the only game in town at this point.

Thank you.

Jim Pruitt

I hope that this is not a serious tangent/distraction to this thread, but I am intrigued by the mention of Yahoo Groups users having being asked to sign an "oath" at login to Yahoo Groups.

Since I own and operate over 34 list groups at Yahoo Groups (ranging in size from 8 members to 3,300 members apiece; median ~175 members), I keep my Yahoo Groups main page (listing all groups which I own and to which I belong) open at all times in a browser tab in an Opera browser window (operating under Windows 10 Pro on a desktop PC), and I do not recall EVER having been asked to agree to or sign any kind of oath when logging into Yahoo Groups. 

So, I just gotta ask, because my curiosity is getting the best of me: Exactly what is this oath that Yahoo Groups is asking new logins to sign? Is it an oath of loyalty to our alien overlords, or to some strange cult?

Thanks in advance for any replies! I appreciate it! 

--Vinny

Frances

Charlie Railscan

Hi All,
I've had no issues with PGO on my primary ID however when logging in with another PGO reported a user id or passwoord error. I double checked all was correct but it still failed.

When I logged in to the same account using a web browser I was presented with the long ignored Oath updated terms and conditions. Upon reluctantly accepting these I was able to return to PGO and login normally.

Hope this helps :-)
Charlie

On Saturday, October 26, 2019, 9:18:23 AM EDT, James Counts, CPA, CTFA <james@...> wrote:

Jim

I am having that exact issue myself in not being able to log in on Yahoo.

I also hope he gets it fixed as I have about 30 groups I want to update so I have it all in my databases.

Jim

James C. Counts II, CPA CTFA

Recently saw this sign in a store. “Stressed is Desserts spelled backwards.”

[excessive multiline sig and excess quote trimmed by moderator]

From: GroupManagersForum@groups.io [mailto:GroupManagersForum@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jim Pruitt via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, October 25, 2019 1:05 PM
To: GroupManagersForum@groups.io
Subject: Re: [GMF] PG Offline users

Hello Duane.

Thank you.

Jim Pruitt

Duane

I was just over on the PGO forums.  It seems the latest trial version will only allow you to download 1000 messages, along with some other limitations.  Still, $25 for peace of mind doesn't seem out of line.

Duane

Ian Shortwavesites

>I was just over on the PGO forums.  It seems the latest trial version will only allow you to >download 1000 messages, along with some other limitations.  Still, $25 for peace of mind >doesn't seem out of line.

>Duane

I also did this myself.
Please bear in mind you still need to download your membership list from Yahoo Groups manually. That's important.
Also these notes for you:
The photo names in YG may not match the filenames that PG Offline has them saved as, which might be confusing. PG offline does not appear to save the photo descriptions of these photos etc, just the raw files.

I am still waiting for someone to tell me & someone here must know the answer surely.
Does, during the transfer process, the photo descriptions contained in YG photos, against each photo, if so provided, get copied across to groups.io in the transfer process? 
It's a simple question.

I was also wondering if this photo description text content is saved in the download that Yahoo Groups offers in the Privacy Dashboard download that they're offering at the moment?

Ian

Duane

On Sun, Nov 3, 2019 at 02:03 AM, Ian Shortwavesites wrote:
I am still waiting for someone to tell me & someone here must know the answer surely.
Does, during the transfer process, the photo descriptions contained in YG photos, against each photo, if so provided, get copied across to groups.io in the transfer process? 
It's a simple question.
Shal answered your question about 4 hours ago, https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/message/22079

Duane
--
Help: https://groups.io/static/help
GMF's Wiki: https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki
Search button at the top of Messages list
A few site FAQs: https://groups.io/static/pricing#frequently-asked-questions

Diane

On Nov 3, 2019, at 2:58 AM, Ian Shortwavesites <ian.swsites@...> wrote:

>I was just over on the PGO forums.  It seems the latest trial version will only allow you to >download 1000 messages, along with some other limitations.  Still, $25 for peace of mind >doesn't seem out of line.

You can download all the messages in the trial. You just can’t export more than 1000.

Diane

Duane

On Sun, Nov 3, 2019 at 06:41 AM, Diane wrote:
You can download all the messages in the trial.
Not with the newest one.  From Wilson:
"It used to have a 14 day trial but that makes little sense in the face of a service that's closing.
The objective of a trial is to see if it works for you.
Allowing users to download all the data they want for 14 days is simply asking to be stiffed.
Before the YG closure announcement my conversion rate was 50%.
After, it was 3%.
So 47% of users who would have bought just decided they didn't have to.
So now it has a trial that reflects the new situation."

Duane