Topics

How to allow editing but not deleting

Stef Hambrook

When you set the privileges for moderators or members how can you allow editing but not deleting?

Thank you

Bruce Bowman

On Sat, Sep 21, 2019 at 08:28 AM, Stef Hambrook wrote:
When you set the privileges for moderators or members how can you allow editing but not deleting?
Stef -- There is [currently] no provision within groups.io that would allow one and not the other.

The system Help is your friend.  https://groups.io/static/help

Stef Hambrook

Ok.  I'm starting a forum for a band and I'm not sure I trust everyone with the DELETE part of the menu that pops up under the word MORE.
Fingers on smartphones are cLuMsY...

Chris Jones

On Sat, Sep 21, 2019 at 06:44 PM, Stef Hambrook wrote:
I'm not sure I trust everyone with the DELETE part of the menu that pops up under the word MORE.
To the best of my knowledge your stuck with it; while Editing by a subsciber can be inhibited Deleting a post cannot. If there is a means of stopping people deleting their posts I have yet to find it.

It is worth rembering that getting to the Delete tab requires clicking on More. Having clicked on Delete then that action has to be confirmed (or cancelled) by clicking on yet another tab, meaning that it requires 3 clicks to delete a message. Individual Subscribers can only delete their own posts, nobody else's; that privilege is for Owners & Moderators only.

IMHO you are worrying unnecessarily, unless your Subscribers really are clumsy, and even then I suspect that clumsiness on its own will not be enough.

Chris

J White

I recently had a new member go back and delete every message she had posted, which took every reply members wrote. It was a little shocking. I felt the threads were valuable, especially to all the new members. I contacted her privately, and she said she felt shame and feared her questions were too simple for the level of experience in the group, even though she had received many good replies. I asked her not to do that again, since her questions were undoubtedly wondered by others new to the industry, and also because many people had spent time providing helpful answers. People are not going to bother responding to questions if they are simply deleted.

Then I immediately changed the settings so that no members could edit or delete their own posts. Just too easy to do for some people!

I decided that if a group member really wants to make edits to their message, they can contact me privately and ask me, as Owner, to do it for them. They can send me what to copy/paste onto the message. I don't think it'll happen too often.

Jen

Chris Jones

On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 06:03 PM, J White wrote:
Then I immediately changed the settings so that no members could edit or delete their own posts.
I can find a setting to stop people editing their posts but not one to stop them from deleting them.

How exactly have you achieved this?

Chris